Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 82 (40%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.1%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 2000518 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.18] [V7.0] With Graphical User Interface!
« Reply #660 on: February 24, 2011, 04:12:57 pm »

This day I installed it my 6 yrs old son asked me If he can have this game as well.  He is barely able to read in our native language - which as all of you already know from my language skill presented here - is  different from English.  I thought he would not be able to play it  neither this game will be fun for him for long time. First time he was only digging horizontal tunnels as long as his food was depleted and dwarwes stopped to dig :-P ..  but later .... I cannot say DF is his only game. He won Starcraft 2 single player already and playing ladder with bellow average results, he won Mass Effect I and II -  and few more games - but few times per every month he  visits my room and asks me - "Father, Why my dwarf attack others?  Or something else from DF. And then we go to his room and he learns few new tricks about DF.   
Now at his 7 years he can read slow but well in native language but also he can read and understand many  english words - only because of DF. If you let him to start new Fortress he can build  the very basic one with storages inside, basic workshops, doors, beds, basic rooms for his dwarfs using 2 or 3  levels, mining some diamonds and store them in own made bins, create still  and  distile some beer to  own made barels  - everything by his own.  None of  couple recent modern games forced him to  ask me about "what means word XXX"  - he won  his recent  modern  games just by Try to click icon by mouse and watch what is going to happen.  Last  weekend  he watched me to play and asked me  what is "Farm Plot" - so another step was made and he now can flood room using  small underground lake and  start his own farming fun.

Your son... is better than me at this game.
And he's six.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #661 on: February 25, 2011, 01:27:33 pm »

This day I installed it my 6 yrs old son asked me If he can have this game as well.  He is barely able to read in our native language - which as all of you already know from my language skill presented here - is  different from English.  I thought he would not be able to play it  neither this game will be fun for him for long time. First time he was only digging horizontal tunnels as long as his food was depleted and dwarwes stopped to dig :-P ..  but later .... I cannot say DF is his only game. He won Starcraft 2 single player already and playing ladder with bellow average results, he won Mass Effect I and II -  and few more games - but few times per every month he  visits my room and asks me - "Father, Why my dwarf attack others?  Or something else from DF. And then we go to his room and he learns few new tricks about DF.   
Now at his 7 years he can read slow but well in native language but also he can read and understand many  english words - only because of DF. If you let him to start new Fortress he can build  the very basic one with storages inside, basic workshops, doors, beds, basic rooms for his dwarfs using 2 or 3  levels, mining some diamonds and store them in own made bins, create still  and  distile some beer to  own made barels  - everything by his own.  None of  couple recent modern games forced him to  ask me about "what means word XXX"  - he won  his recent  modern  games just by Try to click icon by mouse and watch what is going to happen.  Last  weekend  he watched me to play and asked me  what is "Farm Plot" - so another step was made and he now can flood room using  small underground lake and  start his own farming fun.

Your son... is better than me at this game.
And he's six.

It's amazing what a strange mood can do to a child...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 25, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »

I've been using one version or another of the LNP for a while, but I don't think I ever said thanks.

Thanks!

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 25, 2011, 11:47:31 pm »

Thanks for bug reports etc!
I'm working on a slightly updated version of the LNP GUI and format.
It may be released along with .19 packed-in tomorrow or something.

So far I've done:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any other quick suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:51:06 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 26, 2011, 02:25:40 am »

I guess I'll add artifacts/moods.
Also: I've got a good worldgen for adventure mode - I'll add that.

We might want to put in some more popular worldgens...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.19] [V8.0] NEW! With Graphical User Interface!
« Reply #665 on: February 26, 2011, 07:37:45 pm »

LNP V8.0 with 0.31.19 released!

Too late! I'm not sure what you meant by adding artifacts/moods. You'll have to email me the files for next version (which should be soon anyways).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:43:08 pm by LucasUP »

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 26, 2011, 08:05:00 pm »

LNP V8.0 with 0.31.19 released!

Too late! I'm not sure what you meant by adding artifacts/moods. You'll have to email me the files for next version (which should be soon anyways).

Sweet!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 26, 2011, 08:54:16 pm »

Just a reminder: Are you still planning on including the program portion of SoundSense in the next, next version? This was talked about. It's only about 500 Kb and, being written in Java, it should always be compatible - unless Toady radically changes the way gamelog.txt is formatted.

Also...
TolyK: You might want to update your sig to reflect that the latest version is [0.31.19][v8.0].

Edit:
Are you considering releasing the LNP GUI by itself, separate from DF itself and all the utilities and such? For instance, with these bug fixes and updates to the GUI in v8.0 I'm very tempted to download the new pack just to replace the 7.0 GUI I'm using with 31.18. And I could even handle moving the directories around to fit the new scheme. But it means a rather large download just to extract the GUI.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:07:10 am by Thundercraft »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 27, 2011, 02:05:12 am »

Just a reminder: Are you still planning on including the program portion of SoundSense in the next, next version? This was talked about. It's only about 500 Kb and, being written in Java, it should always be compatible - unless Toady radically changes the way gamelog.txt is formatted.
we forgot, it's easy to add. I'll do that in just a bit.
Also...
TolyK: You might want to update your sig to reflect that the latest version is [0.31.19][v8.0].
Did that just now.

Are you considering releasing the LNP GUI by itself, separate from DF itself and all the utilities and such? For instance, with these bug fixes and updates to the GUI in v8.0 I'm very tempted to download the new pack just to replace the 7.0 GUI I'm using with 31.18. And I could even handle moving the directories around to fit the new scheme. But it means a rather large download just to extract the GUI.
yeah we were planning on making it modular and not even updating every time there aren't any bugs/gameplay changes. that would be fairly easy, but why not download .19 as well? :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 27, 2011, 02:39:27 am »

Actually, on examining the directory structure and contents of the Lazy New Pack, I see that the Defaults, Extras, and Keybinds seem to be an integral part of the GUI. So I guess they should always go together. (Although, the Worldgen, init options and other settings may be version dependent.)

Also, I see little reason not to always update to the latest version of DFHack and the latest version of DwarfTherapist in a "minimal" or "update pack" because so many players find them indispensable and it looks like they are both designed to be backwards compatible. (The Dwarf Therapist Releases and Known Versions of DF that it works with list confirms this compatibility.) Even DFInit seems pretty important and built to be mostly version independent.

But, from what I've read, the graphics packs are not released with legacy support in mind. For backwards compatibility, Phoebus and Ironhand maintain downloads for older versions.

Yes, I like the idea of making LNP modular and having small update packs. Although, that sounds like more complication for you guys.

Question: Does the GUI expect to find specific folder and file names containing "-31.19" suffixes or version numbers? Or is it more dependent on structure where it can still find the keybinds and utilities without that?

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 27, 2011, 02:48:03 am »

Yeah if we did a modular version it would come with the LNP folder and its subdirectories (even if those directories were empty, which they COULD be and things would still work). You would have to manually put the latest graphics packs and utilities in their respective folders. Not a lot of work though.

The GUI only looks for "Dwarf Fortress" and doesn't care if there is anything else after the folder name. So you can name it "Dwarf Fortress 9000" and it will still work.

The names/versions of the graphics packs etc are most just for information. For example you can put whatever graphics packs you want, named whatever you want, in the graphics folder.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:46 am »

does anyone know if the Matrix tileset was updated yet? Search isn't working for me.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Manbearpigbear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 27, 2011, 10:26:09 am »

Thank you so much for updating it to .19, I'm so used to playing with this pack that without it the game feels weird XD

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 27, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »

Thank you so much for updating it to .19, I'm so used to playing with this pack that without it the game feels weird XD
the thing is...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 28, 2011, 12:00:12 pm »

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 137