Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farms on Mud  (Read 1104 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farms on Mud
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:37:21 am »

Me mad! I just downloaded the new version and booted it up for a play and when I go to place my farms it says that I can not plant anything unless there is mud.. on the old version I just needed soil  :(. Mind you this is underground.. so what do I do?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Farms on Mud
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:46:41 am »

Make soil muddy, AKA: Irrigate the soil

1. find water
2. divert water (pit/pond, channeling what ever floats yer boat) to planned farm area
3. pour water on area
4. build farm on muddy land
5. done

You should only have to do this once (AFAIK)

It's a pain in the arse, first game on this version took me 5 years to set up a 6x6 plot, and with this lesson i learned butchering and breeding is much better since the 40d-2010 update, you may wish to consider it.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:04:31 am »

Or simply dig down to the caverns, wall of a small area and build your farms there. Caverns are muddied by default.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:13:55 am »

1. find water
2. divert water (pit/pond, channeling what ever floats yer boat) to planned farm area
3. pour water on area
5. done

Correct and it can be done in the first month after embark with simple tile-counting and a murky pool to ensure all the water you pour out is 1/7 depth in your farm room. Just remember to block off the murky pool afterwards as it refills on rain.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 06:16:31 am »

Correct and it can be done in the first month after embark with simple tile-counting and a murky pool to ensure all the water you pour out is 1/7 depth in your farm room. Just remember to block off the murky pool afterwards as it refills on rain.
Depending on the size of the pool. I mainly use rivers for farming, as I always end up not irrigating enough.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:05:34 am »

Depending on the size of the pool. I mainly use rivers for farming, as I always end up not irrigating enough.
Four 3x3 plots is plenty enough for underground farming, but I usually end up with some 120+ mud tiles which is more than enough.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:11:53 am »

It's a pain in the arse, first game on this version took me 5 years to set up a 6x6 plot, and with this lesson i learned butchering and breeding is much better since the 40d-2010 update, you may wish to consider it.

You might also try a pond. Dig an up-ramp next to the spot where you want a farm, put a zone above it and enable it as a pond. If you have a bucket and a water source, one of your dwarves will begin dumping water down the ramp and muddying the floor for you.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 07:16:33 am »

I have about 10 5x5 farm plots. I mainly do this so 1/4 of the crap is sent in a room connected to a 50x50 room that everyone will go to when I find demons. I should be able to stay there for about 3 in-game years before I should worry about anything.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 08:01:41 am »

I generally dig out a 11x11 square next to a pond and flood for a temporary farm. If its a large pond I'll even channel out a 4x4 or 5x5 square on the opposite side of the farm area, to take the extra run off, for a cistern.  This is a great back up for when a horde of naked mole dogs invade your fort and drink all your booze.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 08:05:34 am »

PROTIP!: Make sure your map has water on it, or your fucked.

Only way to get booze is to buy (or steal/kill/take/all other evil death things that don't include dipping the Merchandise into a pool of magma) from Merchants. The only way to get food is to Slaughter, as you would have spent all your money on the Booze God.
Story of my life.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 08:08:35 am »

I have about 10 5x5 farm plots. I mainly do this so 1/4 of the crap is sent in a room connected to a 50x50 room that everyone will go to when I find demons. I should be able to stay there for about 3 in-game years before I should worry about anything.
Ah, bunker stockpiles. My farming usually gets taken up by cloth industry mats once my fort matures - above/underground farming and meat (kills and trade) give me way too much food to play with and my interchangeable drones all have cloth industry preparation jobs activated.

Only way to get booze is to buy (or steal/kill/take/all other evil death things that don't include dipping the Merchandise into a pool of magma) from Merchants.
Wahaha nice joke.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 08:24:56 am »

Well I am on a map like that, and ehh, I think I might lose if these merchants don't bring me some BOOZE ???
Story of my life.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 08:54:58 am »

Only way to get booze is to buy (or steal/kill/take/all other evil death things that don't include dipping the Merchandise into a pool of magma) from Merchants. The only way to get food is to Slaughter, as you would have spent all your money on the Booze God.
Not really. Just dig down, there is water.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 10:22:00 am »

1. find water
3. pour water on area
5. done

If I don't have an aquifer. I stack my farms on top of each other over with cater cornered channels at each level finishing with a simple cistern at the bottom. I then usually floor over the muddy pool roof and then build\remove floors over the pond bottom for whip vines\sun berry production.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 11:02:33 am »

Not really. Just dig down, there is water.
I know that already, but I do not have what anyone would even call an 'Effective' military unit.
Story of my life.
Pages: [1] 2