Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: UFO: Afterlight  (Read 30262 times)

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFO: Afterlight
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2010, 06:01:13 pm »

Heh, I beat Aftershock with none of them there fancy mods you're showing off there..
But I'm thinking about it, it's just the modding community is.. Abysmal at best..
It's so cluttered, unorganized and a complete chore to navigate.. Yet alone find any worthwhile mods..

But if ya' recommend me some, I'd be happy to give them a shot..

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2010, 06:04:46 pm »

Beat UFO games vanilla first.
Then mods.
That's how I see every game.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2010, 10:36:26 pm »

Give a look at http://www.strategycore.co.uk They focus on these types of games and also keep a file listing of mods, patches and other things for the UFO series, along with X-Com and a few others in the genre. The forum community is also really good. One of the few places that has a set of dedicated X-Com boards with very knowledgable and dedicated members. Zombie and NKF are specifically two that will go to incredible lengths to have their questions answered. Zombie has been known to test things to extreme lengths to find reasonably reliable numbers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 11:04:45 pm by sluissa »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2010, 07:46:15 pm »

Oh God, human rockets are so great.  Going on a vs. Expedition mission, so I switched Diego to it instead of dual warp cannons - more effective, what with splash damage and the Expedition's dodging ability.  And I just disabled a whole group of four with one, and finished two with another, with damage ranging from 150-400.

Only 4 shots the whole mission isn't cool though.  :(

It's somewhat annoying to see advanced medium armor in the unavailable techs list when I haven't even made regular medium armor yet.  Damn resources.  Got advanced mining now, though, so now I'm upgrading all my chemical mines.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2010, 08:03:09 pm »

Oh God, human rockets are so great.  Going on a vs. Expedition mission, so I switched Diego to it instead of dual warp cannons - more effective, what with splash damage and the Expedition's dodging ability.  And I just disabled a whole group of four with one, and finished two with another, with damage ranging from 150-400.

It's somewhat annoying to see advanced medium armor in the unavailable techs list when I haven't even made regular medium armor yet.  Damn resources.  Got advanced mining now, though, so now I'm upgrading all my chemical mines.

Warp Cannons splash? I only use them on hardened targets, like those damnable rollyspike things.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2010, 08:04:57 pm »

I have a rather annoying bug in Aftershock causing me to crash every time i press equipment.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:46 pm »

Warp Cannons splash? I only use them on hardened targets, like those damnable rollyspike things.
No, no.  Warp cannons do not splash, so I switched to rockets, which do.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »

Oop, misread the post then.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2010, 10:42:00 pm »

I got my Diego using a warp cannon with a beastman heavy rifle.  The warp cannon is used like you use it, against heavy targets.  Though I will also use it against weaker targets when I have a large number of contacts.  Diego just disintegrates whatever nobody else is shooting at, then points at the next target, not like the ammo is expensive or anything.

The heavy rifle is taken out when he runs out of ammo, or there is a risk of friendly fire.  You do NOT want to hit a friendly with that sucker.  I hit Ute with it once when a shot missed a matriarch and just out of bad luck hit Ute on the other side of the map.  Instant savescum right there.  I also used to switch his cannon out for the rifle in close range fighting.  But in computerized heavy armor and a power shield he can stand and take the hits between cannon shots and barely even take any red bar damage, so now I just keep the warp cannon out and enjoy the 99% accuracy the beastmen decided to hand to him.

As for splash damage, I usually rely on grenades for that, and never really used rockets much.  I recently got a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
using a hineman rifle.  Which has a nice aoe and flamethrower effect.  But it's range seems even shorter than a grenade, and it takes forever and a day for the projectile to reach the target.  At least the opponents aren't smart enough to get out of the damn way of the thing like I am I guess.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2010, 03:20:06 am »

Reading some wiki, I apparently should have had shotguns by the time I met Captains.  Since I'm only just getting 'em several missions after meeting red Matriarchs for the first time... well, lolwhups.

I've finally started production of weapon and suit mods.  Computer-assisted aiming is awesome, though I've only had it for one battle yet - my accuracy somehow took a dive from awesome to sub-mediocre (35-50% at mid-range with snapshot) earlier, and now it's at like 50-60% at sorta-long range.

Just finished a defend-a-radar-station mission.  It was pretty close, and totally awesome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sam was mostly useless during the fight, too fragile to get close enough to the horde with her shotgun, and with only one reload for her dual pistols.  A good chunk of those kills came from finishing off downed beastmen when I was trying to figure out how to capture one of the wounded down-but-not-dead-and-not-getting-up ones with a stun grenade (which didn't work, BTW).  Tabbie was awesome, mind controlled like four, five guys.

Also, regarding warp cannons, my Harald can soak a shot from one in just a normal heavy suit, it's awesome.  I accidentally misfired into him once, and he just sucked it up and started shooting again.  Once... maybe twice.

Gatling guns are currently in production.  Well... queue'd for production.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:42:20 am by Farce »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2010, 10:35:32 am »

Gatling guns are awesome, just make sure you have plenty of ammo for it, it can chew through an entire box of 100 rounds in the space of a mission easily.  Harold still uses his as his primary weapon. (Backup gun is a technically higher tech buzzsaw crossbow).  It can take out about anything in a few seconds of sustained snapshot fire.  Even a matriarch if you can get close enough to hit with a good percentage.

Each shot does more damage than that one ancient earth assault rifle you started with, about 45 damage I think, and it fires at a rate of about 4 rounds a second and can keep it up for almost a full minute.  Not to mention having a firing mode like the shotgun's spread shot that absolutely tears up groups stupid enough to get close.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2010, 11:39:00 am »

I remember when I put 4 gatling guns on my rover. Turned anything that even look at my rover into a fine martian mist. :D
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2014, 02:55:34 am »

I got a copy of this from the Giveaway thread
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127740.msg5299151#msg5299151

It's a pretty cool game, with a few quirks that take getting used to.

Like most 4x type games it is prone to 'dawning realization' syndrome. Where you gradually discover that you've been making the wrong strategic decisions from half a year ago and your game is fucked. :P So here's a starting hint: You need to have enough fuel to get to the North Pole or you will die horribly. Expand and build fuel mines!

One quirk is the use of 'bays' in the base. Civil engineering, Technical and Scientific bays to be precise. You need to put people in there to build buildings in your base and stations outside of your base in conquered territory. The game _won't_ move people there for you, even if they are just sitting in the rec room getting drunk and playing computer games.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2014, 02:59:37 am »

If there is one thing I don't like about the game (Well ONE of the UFO: Whateverlight games... the one with the mutants and creeping ooze)... and don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the game until it happened.

Is that they have a very limited idea of how to ramp up the difficulty after a while.

So after a while enemies will all have long range, rapid fire, high damage, area of effects, given to enemies with a lot of defense.

You normally cannot do the same because the enemies do not need to be concerned with ammo, while you do.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2014, 06:29:25 am »

It was a long time since i last played it but i remember batteries being recharged after every mission so there was no probems what so ever in using ehnaced plasma rifles that had the firepower of gods middle finger capable of dropping just about everything in 2 or 3 shots... and it was purely a human thing so aliens didn't get that.

Altho things might get a bit more hairy once the aliens start running around with turrets.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9