Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: UFO: Afterlight  (Read 30273 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFO: Afterlight
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 08:47:46 am »

@ Greiger
It starts in South America, Arctic, and australia (or somewhere around there).
You see it sooner if you have bases close to it.
And just convert a few into biomass repulser bases on the border of it then slowly advance the lines, once you get far enough in, swich bases to finish reasearch or to engineer more stuff.
I just simply fucked the biomass by sealing my self in a protective wall of repulsors in america and just slowly expanded my walls where I could and left no gaps.
The only place the biomass grows real slow is water and you can counter that with some quick fighting and take over.
If you have a lot of bases though it is real easy.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2010, 02:38:30 pm »

yea my problem apperantly was that my graphics card sucked so much that I couldn't see the biomass...at all.  The only indication I ever had of it's presence was a mission taking place on it, and bases suddenly going poof for no reason.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 07:36:22 pm »

Agh, what the hell.  My chemicals are capped at 2 for some reason, and I need 3 to build a warehouse to increase the cap.  I think I'm doing something wrong.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:22 pm »

Agh, what the hell.  My chemicals are capped at 2 for some reason, and I need 3 to build a warehouse to increase the cap.  I think I'm doing something wrong.
You need to find a region with chemicals and build a new chem mine I think. Been a while since I played.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2010, 09:04:07 pm »

I want to research acid weapons.  The research screen says I need a beastman acid grenade.  I have more than 100 of them.  Anyone know a workaround?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »

I did that.  I had 5, I built another chem-mine, and now I have 6, but I've only got 2 for the purposes of making stuff.

Meanwhile, 5 noble metals are being useless cuz' I can't advance my tech or manufacturing.  Dammit, game.

Also, I'm stuck on another mission.  Fighting Reticulans, standard kill-1-red-arrow-guy mission defending one of my terraforming buildings, except there are like 20+ other guys, most with armor.  Almost all of them are packing either psi weapons (including mind controllers) or rocket launchers, and they move in a giant bloody wave so I can't pick groups off or anything.

Oh God.  I hate psi rockets so much.  Maybe if I'd brought a robot  it could've soaked a couple psi rockets.  Even with his mind controller, Tabbie's just too slow and fragile.

They're too slow to be much use too, though they do reach pretty far.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2010, 09:12:45 pm »

I find a good reticulan can do a pretty good job scouting for your other units. If they spot an opponent with psi the unit can actually be directly targeted, unlike hearing or scent.  They can also use their psi stuff through walls with is really handy. And they also have a long range(also through walls) heal ability that can be really good when paired with human anatomy skill.

The beastmen also seem to be rather weak to psi as well.  I can unload clip after clip into a matriarch of heavy projectile ammo and do almost the same about of damage as a single psi stun.  And once the matriarch is stunned the rest of my soldiers don't have to worry about their crazy high evade and can actually hit the damn thing reliably.  I mean hell, a guy with major skirmish using a chainsaw crossbow in melee mode has only a 33% chance to hit at point blank range!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2010, 09:15:45 pm »

I did that.  I had 5, I built another chem-mine, and now I have 6, but I've only got 2 for the purposes of making stuff.

Meanwhile, 5 noble metals are being useless cuz' I can't advance my tech or manufacturing.  Dammit, game.
I remember there was something more than just owning the locations with mines. Just not sure what exactly. I remember the first time I played I had the same issue until I found what it was, the only bad thing is that I can't actually remember -what- it was, just that it was very counter-intuitive.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2010, 10:01:48 pm »

I've decided to try a smarter approach.  There're catwalks above the area I think the target spawns that I didn't notice before, as well as a ramp access I don't have to wade through an army to get to, so I'm sending Diego and Ute (for the leadership benefit to make his heavy-suited-self move faster) up there to take him out.  Meanwhile, the rest of the unit stays by the ship, to

But this isn't working either!  :(  I guess they see me from across the map with their mind reading, so they roll up with six guys just on the ramp up.  They hide mind controllers up on the cliff so I can't override them liek I've been doing when it happens on the open field.  It went badly enough when they got Harald, who exploded Tabbie with his single attack 'nade, but it went REAL bad when they got Sam and her three.

Arrrgh.  I think I'm gonna need some better equipment soon.  I'd have it now but the game is being stupid with resources and won't let me.  Ffff.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2010, 10:10:35 pm »

I remember there was something about sending people on vehicles or something like that, before you could actually get the material.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2010, 11:33:13 pm »

Hmm...  You should have a chemical supply of 3 after you've built 4 mines, so since you've only got 2 (and you've had 2 since you had 5 mines) I have to assume you traded a supply of chemicals away to your allies.  Chemicals isn't the /worst/ resource to trade away, but... no wait, it is if you don't have your warehouses yet.  So yeah, whatever you're getting in exchange for those chemicals (i.e. peace) isn't worth it.  If you want to maintain peace you'll need 8 active mines.  That requires you to hold some pretty environmentally hostile territory, which requires the chemicals to build better suits.

Also, I'm fairly certain that you can glitch the acid grenade research trigger if your very first acid grenade was loaded in a launcher.  I'm not positive, but I recall that being one of the differences between my run where I did get acid weapons and the run that I didn't.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2010, 11:41:52 pm »

...So you're saying I need to go break my truce?  Dammit dammit dammit, game.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2010, 12:20:31 am »

Maybe, probably from what I can tell.  If there's a '-Reticulans' in the chemicals column of your overview window(?) then you're giving away chemicals to the Reticulans as part of a trade.  Yeah, trading away resources really screws you over, since there's no peaceful way to renegotiate the terms of your alliance. 

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2010, 01:35:24 am »

Well yer going to eventually wanna start shooting at team yellow again anyway.  Yellow never really gave me any good deals, all the good I got out of them were a couple personel that were subpar anyway. 

I have them in my game one territory away from extinction.  The only reason I don't eradicate them is because the mission for the attack is a "capture the enemy unit" one and I highly doubt I can simply disable one without killing it.  They are just too damn fragile.  And so far I got more from invading their asses than I ever got for being all buddy buddy with them.  Only thing I can't get is another goddamn bioarmor that I need.

Make sure you loot the gear off of your soldier grey first though, including the reticulan biosuit if you can.  They won't like you breaking the treaty and will take off.  You may have use for that stuff later.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2010, 02:29:50 am »

SONNOVA-

;_;

I'd almost beaten it - Diego was taking too long, and the UFO is too vulnerable, so I put my dudes up on the cliff level, away from the Reticulan horde, and sent only Samantha to 'nade the target.  I pushed forward whenever the rockets came, and Ute's leadership managed to keep us from falling to control.  We took NO damage and killed everything...

Until, at the last moment, I pulled back to early.  Ute and the rest'd worked up to the target, and Sam's grenade barrage had failed due to healing.  Harald was withdrawing so he wouldn't get left behind while we retreated or whatever, so it was just Ute, Gene, and... uh that technician woman.   Aaand I accidentally kept Ute on aimed burst, so she couldn't overpower the healing that was keeping the bastard alive.  The technician and Gene eventually got there to kill the healer and the target, but due to taking too long, ROCKET, and thus the end.

Also, I'll kinda miss Tabbie.  He's pretty cool now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9