Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: UFO: Afterlight  (Read 30270 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UFO: Afterlight
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 10:26:43 am »

They all had the good points to me, all had parts that if we made a fan game of it, we could make the ultimate game.
Deligate missions,base building, etc... you know? take the best parts? Like aftershocks weapons and armor design and make a game of it.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 11:25:57 am »

I'm going to avoid reading half this thread for fear of spoilers. Got stuck near the end, beastmen ripped my men to shreds. It reminds me of UFO: Aftermath, where the Reticulans would just lob plasma gobs at me at the very start of the game and melt my guys in the first 3 seconds of the mission.

Ahh.. the old ones were fun. I won Aftermath by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did a very similar thing with Aftershock too. I don't think I did it in Afterlight.. also Afterlight's character system didn't let me rename him as Coolio like I did with the other two.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:28:19 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 11:27:43 am »

I'm going to avoid reading half this thread for fear of spoilers. Got stuck near the end, beastmen ripped my men to shreds. It reminds me of UFO: Aftermath, where the Reticulans would just lob plasma gobs at me at the very start of the game and melt my guys in the first 3 seconds of the mission.

Good idea, there's lots'of spoilers.
I've never actually played far enough into AfterMath to get the Reticulans back..
I don't get further than the weird Zombies/Biomass.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 11:37:59 am »

Eh, I love the UFO series just because of the storyline. They link into the other episodes nicely, and are well woven into the gameplay. It's not necessary to play the early ones before the later ones, but I'm glad that I did.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 11:46:37 am »

How well does this series stack up to the fun of the original X-Com? I've been debating trying these out for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it. Is it worth cramming into my sparse gaming schedule?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 11:53:19 am »

Man, I want to play aftershock, but I don't want to deal with securom crap until I know there's a random map mod out there.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 11:55:45 am »

How well does this series stack up to the fun of the original X-Com? I've been debating trying these out for a while, but hadn't gotten around to it. Is it worth cramming into my sparse gaming schedule?
It depends Meph, the series seems hit or miss with people. I loved the game, and have bought and played to the end all three in the series. In fact I purchased the first two twice, because by the time I got around to buying the third one there was an incredible bundle deal on gamersgate.com.

In fact it is still there! All three games for 20 dollars.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-UFO3/ufo-trilogy-bundle

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 11:59:03 am »

Hmmm. And after doing a quick check it seems that gamersgate gives you a version without the nasty DRM, so that's a plus.

Might have to end up getting these.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 12:01:17 pm »

Like forsaken said, it depends.

A lot of the times you can't afford to let a mission go and they do throw you a lot of missions on your face. So it can get repetitive fast without letting you enjoy the geoscape bit of the game. The gameplay itself is a real-time-with-pause gameplay. similar to xcom:apoc which is quite nice. The maps get repetitive tho, reason shy I want some randomness before playing them again.

Hmmm. And after doing a quick check it seems that gamersgate gives you a version without the nasty DRM, so that's a plus.

Might have to end up getting these.
Really?! :O

*goes check*

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 12:02:00 pm »

Yes, Gamersgate doesn't like heavy DRM.

I love them.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 12:03:31 pm »

Eh, I love the UFO series just because of the storyline. They link into the other episodes nicely, and are well woven into the gameplay. It's not necessary to play the early ones before the later ones, but I'm glad that I did.
Yea, because it doesn't spoil anything.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 12:05:26 pm »

Yea, because it doesn't spoil anything.
I hope this is sarcasm. If you don't play them in order you get huge spoilers.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010, 12:06:37 pm »

I just did some poking around via google, and while there seem to be a lot of balance mods for the games it doesn't look like there are any random map generators. So I think you're out of luck there. Some of the mods do sound like they change some aspects of the tactical missions, though, so maybe that would help?

*sigh* I seriously need to become rich so I can take time to play all these neat games I want to play and stop doing this silly work thing all the time.
Come play Mafia with us!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »

I just did some poking around via google, and while there seem to be a lot of balance mods for the games it doesn't look like there are any random map generators. So I think you're out of luck there. Some of the mods do sound like they change some aspects of the tactical missions, though, so maybe that would help?

*sigh* I seriously need to become rich so I can take time to play all these neat games I want to play and stop doing this silly work thing all the time.
Its 20 dollars. Eat tuna sandwiches for a week and you'll save that much.

Oh wait you said time.

Uh... become rich, make a time machine?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010, 12:16:35 pm »

Most of the mod sites for the after series are dead. It's annoying. >.<
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9