Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I hate caverns  (Read 4457 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate caverns
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 10:40:30 am »

On the subject, is there a way you can lower the number of z levels at world gen?  Just to kinda compress the world to make it run a little faster.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 11:55:40 am »

If you want a really thin world, reduce the number of cavern layers and embark somewhere flat. You can probably get a sea 8 z-levels down with 0 caverns, or 10-12 with one.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 12:06:09 pm »

I was thinking somewhere around 50 to 70 would be about right.  I figure 1 or 2 cavern layers is plenty.  Do magma seas count as cavern layers?

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 12:11:32 pm »

In my current fort, on default worldgen settings, my first cavern layer appeared at Z -8. The third cavern layer (I thought there were only two) is over 50 Z-levels deep, a huge cavern.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 12:13:31 pm »

I was thinking somewhere around 50 to 70 would be about right.  I figure 1 or 2 cavern layers is plenty.  Do magma seas count as cavern layers?
you can set if you want the presence of magma or of the (funny)bottom layer(enforces the magma layer), besides these you can set the number of caverns between 0 and 3, and the minimum z levels between each.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »

If you only have a single cavern layer you won't get the more interesting and exotic creatures.

Creatures have a biome setting of what cavern layers they can appear in. The really fun creatures appear only in cavern layer 3.  :D

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 12:23:37 pm »

I genned a default world with the first cavern at z-7 and the magma sea starting at z-21.   I did pick a very low lying area on embark (elevation 0 for the whole thing).    Not sure if that's the cause or just randomness.

I have to say, I always wanted magma closer than 120 levels down but I'm starting to feel cramped trying to build a fort around all these caverns.

I'll have to try changing the default density on my next one.  I hate all these little twisty passages I have to mine out.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »

I'll have to try changing the default density on my next one.  I hate all these little twisty passages I have to mine out.

Openness 100/100 and passages 0/0 will get you large, open caverns. You can then adjust the level of water in the caverns. I find about 50 is a good amount. Gets some water, but leaves plenty of open space.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 05:42:06 pm »

So I lowered the cavern size from 5 min/ 25 max to 4 min/ 12 max and I ended up with a grand total of 39 z levels on my current map.  A little more extreme than what I was shooting for but at least that proves that you can lower the amount of z levels significantly by lowering the cave size.  I haven't run into any caves yet so I can't tell what effect it had on them yet.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 07:08:46 pm »

I got a cavern that was 50z levels down, and stretched down about 30 z levels. The other two caverns were only like 3 z levels though, and both about 15 from the magma sea.

What worldgen params did you use for the caverns?

I just used the standard nothing changed large island, and got lucky I guess.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 12:45:51 am »

Hi
My current 3x3 embark has 1 cavern layer at z-13 to z-20, and the top of the magma sea at z-50.
The cavern is one huge open area, no twisties, with a fair amount of water in.
Relevant worldgen pieces here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope that helps.

PS, if you're planning on pumping magma up 45 z-levels, it's quite viable but will absolutely destroy your fps for a while.

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 02:40:28 am »

I thought I liked them, but I like normal (not underground) rivers and so I usually have low elevations. I hit it 6 z-levels down and ragequit because I like more people than 20.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 12:38:00 pm »

Hi guys,

I generated a world the other day using 0\0 and 0\0 for both cavern values at world gen. The result is extremely open, interconnected caverns which tend to be based around an ellipsoid ramp structure spanning 3-5 z-levels surrounding a solid central pillar, with nearby cave ponds now and then which occasionally block progress. I've journeyed through all 3 layers of the underdark and they are very, very similar aside from water content and spawning (beasties...) and even found a mysterious building down there (and got skull-fucked). Paths up and down z-levels are very rare and if you go there in adventurer mode you should bring a lot of coins to throw down on the ground as breadcrumbs.

However, using the default values you can get "vertical honeycomb from hell" which is -not fun- to deal with. You will have to keep a sharp eye out for dwarves trapped by mushroom trees springing up behind them on a 1x1 path, as I experienced with Hollowdepths (my 10 year fort from 31.04 to 31.06) while earning 15+ legendary woodcutters.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 08:59:02 pm »

i love caverns, right now my glitched fort (crash every 2 minutes after loading -litterally) is based inside a cavern, i usually have issues with underground monsters so far a troll a giant bat and a giant toad but those were taken care of

in my current fort i dug to the cavern just to find that all the webs are exclusivly GCS webs :| without many of those small hallways that extend in every which direction, a very spacious cavern.. with giant cave spiders.. havent breached the wall yet..

btw.. GCS cant climb walls can they? that would suck an awful lot
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 09:01:11 pm »

Hmm, I wonder how amusing it would be to give a GCS the [FLIER] tag.
Pages: 1 [2] 3