Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I hate caverns  (Read 4455 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
I hate caverns
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »

Or, at least, I don't like how shallow the are. I like building deep, multi-level forts, and I'm always running across stupid caverns, full of crap I don't care about until later on in the game. If they were much further down, it wouldn't be a problem. I'm curious, who here agrees, and who wants more?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Re: I hate caverns
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »

You can change how far down they are in the world parameters.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:14:56 pm »

Yeah I've dug down about 20-25 levels so far and shouldn't strike caverns with my current world for another 20-30 more. Setting how far down they are can lead to huge potential for multi-level forts

-ops
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:20:09 pm »

I'd love even more caverns, I like the fun stuff coming up from the deep.

I could also imagine that one day underground folks are besieging your fort from below and goblins from above. That would be awesome!  :D

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:26:08 pm »

I think part of my problem is that, as the miltary screen continues to be pretty frustrating, I have a hard time setting up forces to deal with caverns
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 03:34:13 pm »

To note - I won't breach caverns (wall em off), till my magma steel production is running (which is usually around 1 1/2 years). Then I will create a squad of 5 dwarfes and dig down a second pathway down to the caverns from my defendable entrance hall. From there my militia will take any monster coming up from the deep. (except elk birds which always seem to pass through into my fortress :-/ )

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 03:37:20 pm »

I got a cavern that was 50z levels down, and stretched down about 30 z levels. The other two caverns were only like 3 z levels though, and both about 15 from the magma sea.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:00:27 pm »

Caverns are cool.  The fact that the magma sea is 140 levels down is not :(

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:20:23 pm »

I got a cavern that was 50z levels down, and stretched down about 30 z levels. The other two caverns were only like 3 z levels though, and both about 15 from the magma sea.

What worldgen params did you use for the caverns?

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:08:46 pm »

In my opinion, when I'm working on something big, caverns just get in the way...then they invoke my wrath and are flooded with magma. Troglodytes love magma.

If i'm playing on an ice map though, I kind of rely on underground caverns.

Fastler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 05:02:53 am »

Caverns are kinda cool, but what I don't like is the way all my caverns seem to be these bunched up passages, with no wide open spaces. I want massive caverns with the glint of gems in the walls, the ceiling obscured in darkness. I want an Orzammar, I want a Moria. I want CAVERNS.
I hear if you combine them with dwarven syrup you can make rhesus pieces.

There are no Kangaroos in Austria. Trust me.

Richard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 09:33:57 am »

I think part of my problem is that, as the miltary screen continues to be pretty frustrating, I have a hard time setting up forces to deal with caverns

This and unkillable visitors are my number 1 frustrations.

Caverns are kinda cool, but what I don't like is the way all my caverns seem to be these bunched up passages, with no wide open spaces. I want massive caverns with the glint of gems in the walls, the ceiling obscured in darkness. I want an Orzammar, I want a Moria. I want CAVERNS.

That's easy to get by fiddling with the world gen parameters,
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:36:35 am by Richard »

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 09:36:48 am »

[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]

Tweak those. 0 is open spaces, 100 is vertical honeycomb from hell. So scaling back DENSITY_MAX should do the trick.
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 09:55:24 am »

I play with zero density, and it makes for nice open caverns. Also I'd suggest bumping min water above zero to avoid barren caverns. If you want a lot of room to dig, increase levels above layer one to, say, twenty if you want to dig above the caverns, or layer four if you want to dig below. Or tweak all of them if you want to dig between. I advise aganst reducing cavern layers, as you will never get magma pipes or spoiler tubes above the magma sea.  Note that if you embark in a single-biome area that's relatively flat with zero passage density you'll mostly avoid absurdly deep magma sea issues. However, tweaking up layer count pushes it down again. 
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 10:24:25 am »

Current default worldgen puts the first layer of caverns like, 30Z-levels down.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?
Pages: [1] 2 3