Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting DW to run on Linux  (Read 596 times)

Vernt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Venerable Vernt
    • View Profile
Getting DW to run on Linux
« on: June 10, 2010, 04:24:46 am »

I downloaded the SDL Linux version, extracted it into one of my /home/x/ folders, and tried to run it, as clicking on the icon didn't work I dropped it into the Terminal, and was rewarded with this error message:
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I then used the package manager to check it out, finding no libncursesw.so.5, but instead finding the three packages libncursesw5-dbg, libncursesw5 and libncursesw5-dev. All of these were already installed.
The distro I am running is Kubuntu 10.04 (with KDE 4.4.4) 64-bit

anyone knows how to get it working?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting DW to run on Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 04:36:07 am »

getting DF working for Ubuntu, I had to check for something roughly what was mentioned here:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:System_requirements#Linux

Though that info is slightly out of date.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:41 am »

Mmm, it could be a Kubuntu thing since it worked out of the box on Ubuntu 10.04 (and still does).
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 06:02:26 am »

Mmm, it could be a Kubuntu thing since it worked out of the box on Ubuntu 10.04 (and still does).

Not for me, it didn't.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:14:15 am »

It could be a 64-bit library is installed while DF is looking for a 32-bit version. Here is what I've found:

"Its possible that the applications is 32bit and looking for the 32bit version. There is a package that supplies it in the Universe repository."

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=243288

Sortof makes sense... I hope that this helps.

Vernt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Venerable Vernt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:33:18 am »

thanks for the help. got it working now (well, I haven't really tested for bugs or anything, hopefully there won't be any)
I downloaded lib32ncurses5_5.5-1ubuntu3_amd64 from Ubuntu Universe repository, dug up the lbincurses.so.5.5 which I renamed to lbincursesw.so.5 which I moved into /df_linux/libs/
(I couldn't run it with the lbincurses.so.5.5 name)

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:51:04 am »

I considered maintaining a package for DF on Ubuntu. The main problem with this is that DF isn't really meant to be run from a system folder and thus updating over existing mods and saves doesn't fit the apt-get framework all that well.

SVN would probably work much better, and would allow for custom adding this missing lib. But this is almost as much work as downloading the package from here anyway.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:26:11 am by bongotastic »

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 10:21:01 am »

The error is that it's missing a library. Get that library, and the problem is solved.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:28:51 am »

The error is that it's missing a library. Get that library, and the problem is solved.

The problem was that the library was already there, but that DF was looking for the 32-bit version for it (see above).  64-bit OSes can't keep that one the lib folder.