Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on the use of burrows for segregation  (Read 1744 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Thoughts on the use of burrows for segregation
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:34:51 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8905-ceilingstoked
Well I was really looking forward to this on .31 but man, it's a lot of work.

The idea was to have 4 or 5 independent fortresses running with only a few haulers running between them. It takes an incredible amount of micromanagement to make it work though! You have to assign nicknames to every dwarf, so you can figure out where to put them, then you have to assign them a bedroom in the right burrow, and then assign them to that burrow. This is really tedious when you get like 10, or 26 immigrants.

Then you have to worry about things like mechanisms, seeds, barrels, etc. getting to all the different districts so they can be used. The take from stockpile option really hasn't worked at all for me in this version, so I had to add stockpiles in one side and remove them from the others. It's a big headache. Especially when only one of the districts has the ability to produce wood, barrel distribution is really annoying.

What I should have done was set the population cap to something like 80, so I could dig out my giant freaking valley. If anyone else is doing or going to do a similar fort, I would set the cap to something like 40 or 50 and then gradually increase it to avoid headaches. Also for FPS issues, don't let haulers path over wide spaces, make hallways between them or something.

Suggestions/Criticism/Comments for segregation or my fortress appreciated.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Orris

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you surprised when I touch the dwarf inside?
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the use of burrows for segregation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:16:39 am »

I don't really have an answer for you, as I can't even figure out how to USE burrows properly, no matter how much I read up on them. What I'd like to say is, I hope the concept of getting more than one fort going on the same map is kept in mind and eventually made easier to do, it's what I'm REALLY expecting out of burrows.

Imagine being able to have several fully functioning 'mini-forts' to guard your main citadel. They would be based solely on training, housing, nursing and feeding a platoon of soldiers. One could be set up at the surface of the map, to let in trade caravans, accept migrants, etc, the other at the entrance to your cave systems to protect from forgotten beasts, animal tribes, and as a place for your underground workers to retreat to. I was really happy with what he has done with assigning barracks this time, with being able to assign squads to certain weapon racks/whatever, it probably won't be long before he gets more into that stuff.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:25:54 am »

At this point burrows doesn't work properly, as if dwarf is designated to specific burrow, it still tries to get materials or do jobs outside the burrow, resulting flow of cancellations.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:26:49 am »

burrows is the new 'stay underground', but more effective at keeping them away from enemy crossbow bolts.

aside from that? it dont do much. my burrow1 is the whole fort, with other burrows to further restrict movement as needed. cant have miners on the list or nothing gets done. but its a great thing for children, mayors, and dwarves too idiotic to be let outside without an armed guard.

for use: click w. now click enter, and designate the area across as many levels as you need. now hit escape, then hit c to add dwarves to that specific burrow- make sure food/water and beds are inside the burrow, along with the stairs between.

I have seen the new sieges, and they are EVIL. a wave of trolls where each troll has a profession? goblins mounted on various monsters from the deeps (and the flying mounts seem to be a bit buggy on pathing too). you want to be able to get everyone inside fast when those show up.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:23:44 am »

cant have miners on the list or nothing gets done.
You can! Burrows are painted even for unrevealed cells, that's just not displayed. So you can designate a whole undug Z-level as a burrow, assign your miners - and voila, they'll be digging all right.

Personally, I define a special burrow for miners, which is every Z-level up to the surface (mind it, you can designate burrows cubically, that is, place cursor at the z-deepest bottom-left tile, hit enter, place cursor at the z-highest top-righ tile, hit enter - now you've defined a cubic burrow many z-levels deep. It's that simple).
-
V.

Orris

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you surprised when I touch the dwarf inside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:10 pm »

To everyone explaining the burrow designation being cubic, this helped a loooad. The part about getting people to stay inside for raids was also helpful... So basically that order in the barracks makes EVERYONE stay inside some kind of burrow for the duration of the order?

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »

So, with the "stay inside" approach, does that mean you create the burrow when the enemy shows up?  If not, how do you get woodcutters to cut outside, but still run back to the burrow when danger shows up?

Also, can you have a single dwarf in multiple burrows?  I didn't think you could...

Niloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »

Yes, but it's easier if you create a burrow with no one in it, calling it say, "Inside".  Then you go to 'm'ilitary, then 'a'lerts, create a new alert, name it, and set it up so that everyone goes to the burrow during that alert.  Whenever you have invaders, press m, then a, then scroll to that alert and select it.  Every civilian will suddenly path to the burrow.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »

i always fantasized having a fortress so large - 500, no, 600 dwarfs maybe - that the only way to efficiently manage it would be to make 4-5 z-levels in a toroidal shape several times over, connected by a complicated central stairwell. each torus will be called a ring, and is its own local fort.
almost like a dwarf metropolis. there would be slum areas, luxurious shopping malls, etc. and to have it running for so long, that there would no longer be any original dwarfs but their great-grandchildren, born and raised hundreds of feet underground in a super-city.
then i read about burrows...
:D