Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killing One Guy  (Read 1273 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Killing One Guy
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:48:09 pm »

I've got a problem. His name is Cadem Rithmaaloc Sushsathstran Budo. He's in full bronze chain mail, carrying a bronze spear. His skills are apparently not that great, because he's not blinking, and his profession is simply "spearman." He's all that's left of a sizeable besieging army. And he's killed every dwarf I've sent after him. The Dwarf always misses the first swing, is speared somewhere, and never recovers.

Traps are useless, as he doesn't leave his area. Crossbow-dwarves would be ideal, if I could convince any of the little dummies to pick up a crossbow.

So basically I need to know two things:

1) What weapon is best at piercing Bronze Chain Mail?

2) What armor stops spears best?

I've got lots of Iron, some steel, and anything I make would probably be very high quality. Past mass attacks have failed because a) only 3-4 of the ten dwarves in the squad actually responded to the orders, and b) by the time the slow guys catch up to the fast guys everybody's dead.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Killing One Guy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:50:12 pm »

Steel for piercing bronze.
Wardogs for pinning him down.
Chain Mail Shirt for max coverage.
SHIELDS for extra protection.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:11 pm »

Thanks.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:54:08 pm »

good luck :D
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:04:17 pm »

Tell your dwarves to station at the spot where your target is.  Kill orders don't work.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 11:09:55 pm »

Tell your dwarves to station at the spot where your target is.  Kill orders don't work.
In my games they work fine.

They're pretty much the only aspect of the new military system that works fine on my computer.

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:52:32 pm »

He's not moving?  At all?

Build some stairs near him.  And a support pillar.

Then build a ceiling over him.

Remove stairs.

Connect lever to support.

Pull lever.

It'll take longer.  But is definitely more fun.

Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:06:03 am »

He's not moving?  At all?

Build some stairs near him.  And a support pillar.

Then build a ceiling over him.

Remove stairs.

Connect lever to support.

Pull lever.

It'll take longer.  But is definitely more fun.
He's only still when he can't see my dwarves.

In theory I could probably build a trap-line out of his line of sight, send a dwarf to him, and hope he ran into the trap line while pursuing. The problem is goblin ambushers could easily get to the guys building the trap line, unless I had a squad protecting them. Which means I'd have to build a squad anyway.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:55:53 pm »

Catapult practice! Sure, it'll take forever, but it's fun.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 08:13:32 pm »

I'm not sure how to square that with the prior claim that only 3-4 dwarves actually attacked when given what I presume was a kill order.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 09:06:43 pm »

Don't immediately order them to kill. Order them into position far away so they get done with eat/sleep/whatever and gather up. Then give the kill order so they move as a group.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:18:14 pm »

Build a stairway several stories up. It only has to be 1x1. Make sure it's far enough away fromhim that he can't see the dwarves building it.

Once you're like 10 Z levels above him (maybe more, I don't know how far NPCs can see), star building floors to make a sort of skyway. You'll want it to terminate two tiles in any of the cardinal directions away from where he's standing. Once you've done that, put a floor grate at the end of the walkway where he is. Once that's in place, build a wall or floor in the tile directly above where he's standing. Since grates can't support structures, the material will fall and it should at the very least stun him, if not deal some damage.

While he's still down, have your military rush in and start beating the hell out of him. Unless he's extraordinarily tough you should be able to deal enough damage to kill him before he recovers from the stunning.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:58:32 pm »

Hate to derail the thread, but I'm guessing this OP wouldn't know either...
What's the best weapon/armor?  I know heavier stuff is good for bashing, but I haven't figured out what order it goes in yet, I thought bronze was the best (Barring one metal) for armor...
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 11:11:06 pm »

Hate to derail the thread, but I'm guessing this OP wouldn't know either...
What's the best weapon/armor?  I know heavier stuff is good for bashing, but I haven't figured out what order it goes in yet, I thought bronze was the best (Barring one metal) for armor...
Adamantine is better than steel (EXCEPT HAMMERS).
Steel is better than bronze.
Bronze is better than iron.
Iron is better than copper or silver.
Silver is the worst (EXCEPT HAMMERS).
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 01:35:41 pm »

I'm not sure how to square that with the prior claim that only 3-4 dwarves actually attacked when given what I presume was a kill order.
My military only had 14 guys. A couple were in the hospital, a half dozen were in pickup equipment hell for months. And a couple walk really slow.

So they followed that particular kill order in a trickle, got massacred one-by-one, and I decided to cut my losses. By the time I had more guys drafted and properly equipped he'd left.

But kill orders on the random hungry head, mischievous raccoon, or gobbo who escaped the arena work fine.

@Psieye:
I actually tried that. Then half the damn squad spent three months running around for their armor (dudes, I told you to wear your uniforms off-duty godangit) and I got impatient. They were technically pretty close to eachother when they attacked, but the damn humie only needed one combat round to kill them. The first two guys got stabbed in the lung in the first round. The next two "only" experienced crushed limbs, so they managed to crawl a few squares before bleeding out.

@Particleman
That is quite possibly the dwarfiest solution I have ever seen. If it happens again...

@clc02
There's a thread where they tested this:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53571.msg1149230#msg1149230

It wasn't much help to me, as all I've got is iron and coal, but it was good to know that Iron weapons suck so I could make steel ones.
Pages: [1] 2