Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Historical Figures  (Read 608 times)

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
Historical Figures
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »

Howdy folks! I was just wondering if there were a way to add historical figures to a world's Legends, to commemorate the last survivor of a goblin ambush (well, several simultaneous ambushes) in one of my forts. The goblin who finally ended up killing her got a mention, but she never did, and I want future dwarves to be able to make engravings of her noble efforts :P

I appreciate the help!

-SP
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Historical Figures
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:52:46 pm »

I believe you can add to the list of engraving designs, but it will take someone else showing up to say how.
I kind of want another pack that adds engraving possibilities like there was for 40d. Cacame engravings and Ironblood engravings for everybody!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 01:57:30 am »

As SenorPiquante said, the only way to immortalize your legends is to add them to the engraving raws - in other words, descriptor_shape_standard.txt.
Also known as Zuhayr.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:15:50 am »

As SenorPiquante said, the only way to immortalize your legends is to add them to the engraving raws - in other words, descriptor_shape_standard.txt.

Hmm, okay, thanks. Would anyone happen to have a template handy for making it look like other engravings of historical events? I've got a very basic grasp of what to do from looking at the raws, but only just...

EDIT: Would this work? I copied the layout from the Cacame Awemedinade thread, and changed it up a bit based on this particular dwarf's circumstances. I put it in descriptor_shape_standard, in my save files as well as the main RAWs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:31:30 pm by SenorPiquante »
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.