Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: reagent classes. How? also: book-as-a-product?  (Read 6531 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
reagent classes. How? also: book-as-a-product?
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:54:17 pm »

I'm just tossing a bunch of questions in here that have me stumped in the current version.

Current popular mods have libraries. that can train, among other things, prose.
How can I make this actually have a product of a book?
I know I'll need to add an instrument or toy called a "book", but I'm baffled as to where to start if I want this only produceable at the library (and not at a craftshop).
Also, how would I then go about using that book in a library reaction (reading).

Second,  Shaostoul's Guide is wonderful for figuring out products, but if I want a custom reagent not so much help. How generic can "finished goods" reagents get?
Are classes of reagents still possible? How can reagent classes be assigned, and over what categories of items?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
Re: reagent classes. How? also: book-as-a-product?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:29:27 pm »

I'd hate to imagine the environment of a dwarven library if books are "consumed" when read :P
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:40:45 pm »

I'd hate to imagine the environment of a dwarven library if books are "consumed" when read :P

PRESERVE REAGENT would be in effect.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:42:33 pm »

For starters, I'm not very good with the reagents, but from the way it seems, it's roughly the same as a product.

Also I have two versions of the Guide.

Wiki Version
Forum Version

The forum version has a list of tokens that I put there mostly for my use and for anyone who might find them useful...

Anyways! For the toy you'd find the "item_toy.txt"

[ITEM_TOY:ITEM_BOOK]
[NAME:book:books]
[HARD_MAT]

That should produce a book... more or less.

I'm guessing here... but the reaction would be something like...

[REACTION:READ_BOOK]
[NAME:Read a book.]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOY:NONE:ITEM_BOOK:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[SKILL:READING]

[REACTION:WRITE_BOOK]
[NAME:Write a Book]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:NONE:ITEM_BOOK:NONE]
[SKILL:PROSE]

Then you have to...

[PERMITTED_REACTION:WRITE_BOOK]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:READ_BOOK]

I don't know if it will be made at the craftshop... you'd have to test it.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 10:48:27 pm »

Wow. thanks for giving me a place to start testing, at the very least. I wouldn't be surprised if that setup works fine as-is.

Any insight on the second question? Generic "finished good" reagent? Reagent classes? I remember something like this in 40d, but don't know if it's carried over.

I'm partly curious for refining the building construction of things like the Display Case to avoid stones and lungs and rat corpses, and only use valuable items. It may not be possible.
[/quote]

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:12 pm »

Hmm, well I typically avoid doing anything with finished products, mostly just the raw materials, y'know to avoid problems like reactions that only produce large armor.

I'll give it a look, give me a minute or so.

-edit-

well for starters... here's this...

a list of item tokens...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

judging by the way that looks... you won't have a "general finished good item"

you'll have to get a little more specific.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:56:43 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Lord Aether

• Bay Watcher
  • FOR THE DWARVES!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:16:14 am »

I believe that unless you set the newly created toy book as one of the entity's allowed toys, it will not be created in the craftdwarf workshop.
The bunny likes you.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 01:55:00 am »

Wow. thanks for giving me a place to start testing, at the very least. I wouldn't be surprised if that setup works fine as-is.

Any insight on the second question? Generic "finished good" reagent? Reagent classes? I remember something like this in 40d, but don't know if it's carried over.

I'm partly curious for refining the building construction of things like the Display Case to avoid stones and lungs and rat corpses, and only use valuable items. It may not be possible.

I suggest making the book an ITEM_TOY and not including it in any entity raws.  There's no generic item token.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 04:21:32 am »

You might want to mod in some parchment to give them a material and a sensible reagent item for the writing reaction.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 04:27:37 am »

parchment?
Uhm. These are dwarves. The books will be made of STONE.
[/quote]

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 07:19:13 am »

You might want to mod in some parchment to give them a material and a sensible reagent item for the writing reaction.

This is a finely crafted Dwarfonomicon. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The cover is made from cat leather. The pages are made from elf leather and penned in monarch butterfly ichor. The item menaces with spikes of elf bone.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 07:48:05 am »

parchment?
Uhm. These are dwarves. The books will be made of STONE.
Those are called tablets. Nice idea btw.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:58 am »

This is a finely crafted Dwarfonomicon. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The cover is made from cat leather. The pages are made from elf leather and penned in monarch butterfly ichor. The item menaces with spikes of elf bone.

Oh I wish it was possible to do that.
[/quote]

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 03:04:35 pm »

I was thinking of something like this for my strange mood in progress.

First of all, there's gotta be parchment of some sort.  Made from animal skin of some sort.  You could make it at a Tanner's workshop, even though you wouldn't be tanning it, just soaking it in lime.  So the dwarves should need lime, too, but that probably isn't necessary...  Not like they use it for tanning right now... anyway, dwarves can do stuff others can't, like make steel and extract strands.  So why not make paper?  More reason to cut down trees and flip off elves.  So then there's a paper reaction added that uses logs to make 1000 sheets of paper or something.  You can take parchment and roll it into scrolls if you want to.

So, custom library / study hall / writer's lounge workshop, and the reactions:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:READ_BOOK]
[NAME:read a book]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOY:ITEM_NOVEL:NONE:NONE][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[SKILL:READING]

[REACTION:WRITE_PAGE]
[NAME:write a page]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOY:ITEM_PAPER:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:ITEM_FILLED_PAGE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]

[REACTION:WRITE_ESSAY]
[NAME:finish writing an essay]
[REAGENT:A:10:TOY:ITEM_PAPER:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:SKIN_TANNED:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:ITEM_ESSAY:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE]

[REACTION:WRITE_JOURNAL]
[NAME:finish writing a journal]
[REAGENT:A:25:TOY:ITEM_PAPER:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:ITEM_JOURNAL:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE]

[REACTION:WRITE_SHORTSTORY]
[NAME:finish writing a short story]
[REAGENT:A:50:TOY:ITEM_PAPER:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:ITEM_SHORTSTORY:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE]

[REACTION:WRITE_NOVEL]
[NAME:finish writing a book]
[REAGENT:A:200:TOY:ITEM_PAPER:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOY:ITEM_NOVEL:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE]

The dwarves have to write those pages before they can finish that book.  It will take a long time to haul all those pages if you didn't have your paper stockpile near the library, but hey, it takes a while to write a good novel, and dedication is part of it.  All that's left is to make sure the pages can be placed all in one bin as finished goods.  This is why it takes me forever to mod.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 07:53:57 pm »

I like the bookbinding idea. BTW - It's called "vellum" when it's "paper made from skin".
I wonder - is there a way to involve metal studding? or can that only be worked into clothes?
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2 3