Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spacebar has betrayed me  (Read 1208 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Spacebar has betrayed me
« on: June 09, 2010, 01:53:52 pm »

Alright, in 40d, I got very used to using spacebar to exit screens I was done on- but now when i change the exit bindings, I run into issues. If I'm giving a dwarf a nickname, for example, I can't put a space in his name without exiting the screen. has something changed in the underlying structure of the game that I must bid farewell to the exiting of screens with Spacebar???? :'(
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Spacebar has betrayed me
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:20:18 pm »

make the move to using ESC, you'll be glad you did after the initial re-training.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:15:27 pm »

I don't WANT to retrain! Anyone know where I'm going wrong?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:35:13 pm »

Controls changed, you'll have to follow suit. I'm not that happy with it either (having been using space to exit menus in the game since the 23a days) but it's something we've got to put up with.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:37:39 pm »

You're going wrong in not getting used to the esc-key. Sadly, that's the way it works in this version and there is no way around it.
I still bind it to the space key, because it is much faster to reach - but I don't really need to type spaces anywhere. You could use - or _ instead of spaces if you really must use them in names.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:21:49 pm »

One idea I thought of but never did investigate deeply was whether it's possible to remap the "input a blank space" button to be something other than the spacebar. It feels like it should be possible to do that with key bindings, but I didn't dig deep into the issue. I just got around the lack of spacebars - only the manager screen and arena equipment screen really need it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 05:38:31 pm »

You can always turn off the SPACE binding through the in-game menu and restore it when you are done. This way, you can keep on using SPACE as you want for as long as you refrain from switching too often.
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:44:38 pm »

I ended up rebinding the exit key to f9 myself. I managed to retrain myself that space=esc but my brain would freak out on the f9=esc  ::)  I do miss hitting space to exit tho :(
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 08:18:32 pm »

Use a _ instead of a space, Problem solved.  :D

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 08:27:22 pm »

how do you pronounce that?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:26 pm »

Couldn't tell is that was sarcastic or rhetorical.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 08:48:33 pm »

how do you pronounce that?

UHN-DER-SKOHR
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 08:49:14 pm »

Couldn't tell is that was sarcastic or rhetorical.

Whatever works.  If you had an answer, I was genuinely curious to hear it. I don't particularly think it is pronounceable, so possibly a little sarcastic. It does point to why "_" isn't quite as good as " ", so there might be some rhetorical mixed in.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 10:08:41 pm »

"_" lets you use the space bar and put spaces in names. I prefer the spacebar. the esc button is just too inconveniently placed for all the times you have to back out of something.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:41:34 am »

Shift+Spacebar lets you put a space in names without aborting.
Pages: [1] 2