Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designate: Soak Floor.  (Read 562 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designate: Soak Floor.
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:49:00 am »

Something to cause a team of dwarfs with buckets to get the floor soaking wet, for when you want to farm.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Doniazade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designate: Soak Floor.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:38:00 am »

Simple, yet awesome. I can get behind this idea 100%.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:20:00 am »

definitely, please
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

Could we add this to farm options instead and make them buildable anywhere? IE seasons, fertilizer, seasonal fertilizing, water, ...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

The designation might make more sense than doing it with farms, though.  For example, what if you have a bunch of grassy area right next to rocky area, and you want to extend the grass (and the trees/shrubs that come with it)?  If you muddy up the rock (and if I remember correctly from my few experiences), the grass will spread to the muddy rock over time.  This would be a perfect situation for using the designate method.  Creating farm plots, marking them to be watered, and then removing them would however be cumbersome.  The same thing goes for if you wanted to make an underground tower-cap farm.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »

Because everyone knows pouring water on stone turns it into fertile dirt which can support the same crop for years without fertilization or crop rotation.
Shoes...

Mr. Wallet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

Another alternative is the "drain" zone; once an area is flooded and sealed off from its water source, dwarves would then go to work using buckets to remove water from the zone. The water could either be dumped into a "pond" zone, or deleted (if deleting sounds iffy, then you could make them dump it off the edge of the map, making it someone else's problem - LOL  :D ).

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Because everyone knows pouring water on stone turns it into fertile dirt which can support the same crop for years without fertilization or crop rotation.</STRONG>

It does in Dwarf Fortress.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.