Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridding myself of Aquifers  (Read 602 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Ridding myself of Aquifers
« on: June 09, 2010, 01:34:56 pm »

The wiki suggests that all I have to do is remove all references to aquifers in inorganic_stone_layer and then re-gen, but that seems to not have worked. How do I completely remove aquifers from my life?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ridding myself of Aquifers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:14:56 pm »

You have to remove the tag from soil layers as well, which I believe is a separate file (not at my comp at the moment to check). 
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

grymwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:17:38 pm »

Dwarf Powered PUMPS!  No aquifier can stand the stench of hard working pump operators long enough to flood a proper fortress!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:34:11 pm »

To remove aquifers:

Notes of interest:
#1, if you want this to apply to your current world make the changes in your data/save/region/raw/objects files, if you want it to apply to all new worlds make the changes in your main raw/objects files.
#2, If you make these changes to an existing world, any exposed aquifer tiles will remain aquifers, any unexposed tiles will remain dry.  The same applies to re-enabling aquifers, any tiles which would have been aquifers that were revealed with them disabled will remain dry and any unrevealed tiles will revert to aquifer.  This feature can be useful, use your imagination.

OK, the meat:

The process is actually quite simple.  You will want to open up the files inorganic_stone_layer.raw and inorganic_stone_soil.raw in your favorite text editor (one with find/replace functionality preferrably) and replace all instances of [AQUIFER] with AQUIFER and save the file.

If you want to re-enable aquifers, simply reverse the changes by replacing AQUIFER with [AQUIFER].

Hopefully these instructions make sense, I know I am not the greatest at explaining things.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:19:00 pm »

Thanks! I;m genning a new world, we'll see how it goes.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:53 pm »

Dwarf Powered PUMPS!  No aquifier can stand the stench of hard working pump operators long enough to flood a proper fortress!

I had a huge fortress made on top of an aquifer once before I knew what an aquifer did. Half the fun of that game was defeating the evil aquifer and making it my slave. It had windmills and pump stations everywhere. My graveyards were full of drown dwarves and my valleys were full of mud and water.