Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a strategy guide and/or written manual for DF 2010?  (Read 412 times)

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know there are the videos like Captn Ducks and the Wiki which are great, but I see a lot of great tips and info scattered about the forums that you would not really know necessarily by just playing. I'm referring more to game mechanics then strategies. For example: I read you need a Dungeon Master to train exotic animals or you need to assign dwarfs to burrows to do an evac like you could in 40d with the return to base command, or what each of the job types dwarfs can be do, or what makes dwarfs happy or unhappy etc.

Just wondering if there was a useful guide somewhere without digging through thousands of great posts.

Thanks!

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a strategy guide and/or written manual for DF 2010?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:12:04 pm »

I'm not aware of any guides as such, but the wiki is fabulous, especially for 40d.  Most of the mechanics are the same, and if they aren't it's usually well-documented.

My recommendation is to read the 40d "Getting Started" http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Game_Basics

Then any questions you may have can be more quickly answered there than here (not that we don't want you, but it is faster to just read the answer).  It's really very complete, and 40d and DF2010 are fundamentally the same game.

Best

crazz2323

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 01:17:47 pm »

Thanks for the reply and I plan to. Too bad there wasn't a handy top 10 things I wish I knew about DF before starting list or something. Thanks again!

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 01:46:33 pm »

I can help with that

1-10: play with the wiki open, when you want to do something new, like dig, or build a forge pause the game, tab to the wiki, and search using "dig" or "forge" and read how it works, read any associated links if you think they have anything to do with what you are doing.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.