Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 107173 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #285 on: June 13, 2010, 03:16:42 pm »

Make it easier?  Just what does the AD actually do?  As far as I've seen, he's just an artificial extra step in the equipping process.  The player still chooses everything that the soldiers use.  It's just that those changes don't go into effect until the Arsenal Dwarf heads to his office, acts busy for a while, and says "OK I'm done."

That's not an improvement to gameplay.

The only thing I can see him being useful for is inventory of weapons, armor, and ammo, stuff that the bookkeeper already does.  If that's actually the AD's job now, then good, that's what he should do.  But keep him away from the actual process of equipping soldiers, as there's no way that can lead to anything but delays.  The equipment change should look like the following:

Goblins sighted, soldiers arm yourselves, NOW!
*soldiers drop what they're doing, run to the armory, grab their gear, and then run to their stations*

In the current setup, that doesn't happen.  What happens is a series of events that no sane military has ever enacted.  Part of it is soldiers not waking up, drinking, partying, etc.  But the reason they die on the fields holding wooden or no weapons is the Arsenal Dwarf.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 13, 2010, 03:26:59 pm »

- Marksdwarf training is broken.

Just the training?  I haven't dared to try making a Marksdwarf in the last several versions.  Will they actually shoot at things now, if you give a Kill order?  Or will they run up to the enemy and try to beat them to death with the crossbow?

My (extremely limited) experience is that they will run up to the enemy and try to stab them to death with the crossbow. (Doesn't work so well when the crossbow gets stuck in the wound.)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2010, 03:44:01 pm »

Personally I view the Arsenal Dwarf as simulating the hinderance of bureaucrasy. As I posted before, what I don't understand is why your dwarves aren't armed for war all the time since training injuries are non-existent right now. In a mature fort in some future day where formal group training is fixed, you'd have maybe 3+ squads where only 1 is training (with training weapons if need be) and the rest are on standby (while armed) or are patrolling/guarding with long-term supplies. When goblins appear, you don't throw away defender's advantage, you let them walk through your maze of traps which buy you time to group your soldiers together. Soldiers undergoing training should not participate at all or should be part of the clean-up operation when the goblins are routed.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2010, 03:47:59 pm »

What please is the new message "no seeds available for this location" for ???
When this message appears the plot cannot be handled in any way anymore.
Oke i got no seeds for it atm, but why cant i change the seeds ?
Please remove that...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2010, 03:50:21 pm »

What please is the new message "no seeds available for this location" for ???
When this message appears the plot cannot be handled in any way anymore.
Oke i got no seeds for it atm, but why cant i change the seeds ?
Please remove that...

Are you on a reclaimed fortress?  If so, it's this bug.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2010, 03:51:29 pm »

No i am not on a reclaimed fortress. Its a total normal fortress i started new.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2010, 03:53:51 pm »

Do you have any of the actual plant which you're trying to plant seeds for? Dwarves won't plant seeds for something that they've never seen before, for some reason.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2010, 03:55:43 pm »

Okay, I'm not really sure what you were saying before.  You "got no seeds for it atm" but you want to "change the seeds" anyway?

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2010, 03:59:23 pm »

I have the plots scheduled for the normal indoor seeds. I cannot see it now, but it is summer and it should be rock nuts (which i am out of) cave wheat, sweet pods and pig tails where i have plenty of seeds. In total its 10 3x3 plots that are unusable atm.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2010, 04:03:31 pm »

And the problem does not occurs outside, where i have an empty plot for whip whines, not having any seeds for it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 13, 2010, 04:06:36 pm »

I have the plots scheduled for the normal indoor seeds. I cannot see it now, but it is summer and it should be rock nuts (which i am out of) cave wheat, sweet pods and pig tails where i have plenty of seeds. In total its 10 3x3 plots that are unusable atm.

Could your seeds be forbidden or inaccessible?  Try zooming to their location from the Stocks screen and ordering a soldier to move there.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2010, 04:11:37 pm »

No i have some bags full of seeds near to the plots, nothing forbidden.
There are some other problems with seeds too looks like i lost all cave wheat and all rock nuts.
I will start a new fortress an check what happened to that seeds.

In any case: "No available seeds" should not prevent you from scheduling the plot for the 4 seasons.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:18:19 pm by Bartleby »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 13, 2010, 05:02:33 pm »

Make it easier?  Just what does the AD actually do?  As far as I've seen, he's just an artificial extra step in the equipping process.  The player still chooses everything that the soldiers use.  It's just that those changes don't go into effect until the Arsenal Dwarf heads to his office, acts busy for a while, and says "OK I'm done."

That's not an improvement to gameplay.

The only thing I can see him being useful for is inventory of weapons, armor, and ammo, stuff that the bookkeeper already does.  If that's actually the AD's job now, then good, that's what he should do.  But keep him away from the actual process of equipping soldiers, as there's no way that can lead to anything but delays.  The equipment change should look like the following:

Goblins sighted, soldiers arm yourselves, NOW!
*soldiers drop what they're doing, run to the armory, grab their gear, and then run to their stations*

In the current setup, that doesn't happen.  What happens is a series of events that no sane military has ever enacted.  Part of it is soldiers not waking up, drinking, partying, etc.  But the reason they die on the fields holding wooden or no weapons is the Arsenal Dwarf.
The AD is suppose to be the player will being enacted through dwarfs themselves instead of just some mysterious unseen player hand. Not all aspect of DF have this yet, but they will.

And the equipping issues are happening despite the AD. There are issues with equipment that our getting solved.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #298 on: June 13, 2010, 05:10:03 pm »

For the current state of things, try the following: do not make training weapons or crossbows. Embark with 3-7 copper short swords. Never command an uniform change as it leads to three weapons in hand.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ratboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 13, 2010, 05:58:05 pm »

What would be the effect of turning invaders off after embark, if any, and could it be turned back on in a later version and still work? Anyone know?
It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong, consistency is the key.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30