Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 107194 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2010, 12:05:20 pm »

Just adding my two cents here, I've been playing DF for about a month now and the only thing I've ever known is "surface plants grow dry on the surface, underground plants grow in wet caves." Makes perfect sense to me, and irrigation has never felt like a challenge either. With a bucket or two your dwarves can easily wet a little 2x5 plot to get food production going until you can put in some plumbing and build your 'real' farm plots.

I know the gripe here is mostly from desert-dwellers who have no water for their buckets, but... Well, it's realistic. I've actually been considering giving a desert fort a shot myself, and all my plans have started with "Dig for water."
There are actually 2 flaws in the current irrigation requirements, and it is not what anyone thinks.  One flaw is that you can't embark with barrels of water.  The other flaw is that your dwarves don't know how to irrigate the farm with water from barrels.  Both of those are things that are more iin the category of Toady hasn't gotten to building the whole system yet.  In other words there isn't a real bug yet, what we have a is a place holder for what will come.

Please, let us put the discussion about irrigation and farming in the suggestions area for Improved Farming.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2010, 12:21:27 pm »

I still say its a bug.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2010, 12:52:04 pm »

whats wrong with farming?

That...

And Toady, please, fix Military! I haven't even tried embarking in a dangerous area because of so much of the bugs associated with it.

Military by itself works somewhat, melee dwarves train invidually without any problems and they also equip the things I order them to. The main problems in .06 are in my opinion:

- Marksdwarf training is broken.
- Surgery problems (fixed for .07)
- Combat balancing (better metal always defeats inferior metal armor, inferior metal weapons have absolutely no chance of penetrating better metal armor (it needs more randomness), also the unkillable FBs and stuff like pierced hearts not being fatal), really annoying.
- Farm needing irrigation, should be an init option or something, makes embarking in deserts way too hard as you need to dig down to the cavern immediately to get water

You forgot things not dying unless you completely mutilate them. I HAVE played around in adventure mode, and Spears are completely useless unless you get a headshot. You can stab them all you want, and in the end they might die of suffocation if you've hit a lung. Weapons do need fixed.

I classified that under "combat balancing".
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2010, 12:52:45 pm »

Booze cooking got fixed for .07! Now the "needs solid base to cook" feature is working as intended if all goes well.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2010, 12:57:36 pm »

whats wrong with farming?

That...

And Toady, please, fix Military! I haven't even tried embarking in a dangerous area because of so much of the bugs associated with it.

Military by itself works somewhat, melee dwarves train invidually without any problems and they also equip the things I order them to. The main problems in .06 are in my opinion:

- Marksdwarf training is broken.
- Surgery problems (fixed for .07)
- Combat balancing (better metal always defeats inferior metal armor, inferior metal weapons have absolutely no chance of penetrating better metal armor (it needs more randomness), also the unkillable FBs and stuff like pierced hearts not being fatal), really annoying.
- Farm needing irrigation, should be an init option or something, makes embarking in deserts way too hard as you need to dig down to the cavern immediately to get water

You forgot things not dying unless you completely mutilate them. I HAVE played around in adventure mode, and Spears are completely useless unless you get a headshot. You can stab them all you want, and in the end they might die of suffocation if you've hit a lung. Weapons do need fixed.

I classified that under "combat balancing".

I classify it under "Military" since I want my military to be able to kill things with Spears...and when Marksdwarves are fixed, their Bolts will do the same thing as Spears. You just have to hope for a headshot...
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 13, 2010, 02:20:25 pm »

Booze cooking got fixed for .07! Now the "needs solid base to cook" feature is working as intended if all goes well.
Now my only question/fear is, how will cooking determine which ingredients to use?
If I have my alcohol arranged in a certain way with an unfortunate proximity to the kitchen, will the cook use alcohol to cook for everything, before anything else, neglecting other foodstuffs?
I hope not...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 13, 2010, 02:31:19 pm »

Now my only question/fear is, how will cooking determine which ingredients to use?
If I have my alcohol arranged in a certain way with an unfortunate proximity to the kitchen, will the cook use alcohol to cook for everything, before anything else, neglecting other foodstuffs?
I hope not...

Use the z -> Kitchens menu to disable it.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 13, 2010, 02:31:41 pm »

Has anyone else had trouble with trolls and other supposedly [Likes_Fighting] creatures hunting down your civilians in much the same manner demons do, but then running away when your soldiers arrive?  Squads are too stupid to corner fleeing creatures so they chase him for the better part of a year and eventually die of thirst.  Meanwhile, the fort is unprotected from other creatures.  On the once-a-month occasions where they do somehow catch up to him and land a hit, it's always just a bruise to the fat. 

And what's up with the war dogs being no faster than the dwarves?  Didn't we humans start using dogs for security purposes because of a) their superior senses and b) their greater speed and endurance?  If the war dogs are no faster than the dwarves, cannot track or detect foes any better than dwarves, and their bites do trivial damage or none at all, then, well, what the hell are they there for?  If they're only useful for letting us know when a thief is coming in, then giving us chihuahuas or shih tzus would have been more appropriate.  That at least would not have been as misleading as the term War Dog. 

I'm not saying make the dogs strong attackers.  I just thought it would be nice if they can run ahead and slow the troll down so my soldiers can catch up to him.  You know, kind of like you would expect it to actually play out.

I find it odd that the improvements to the military were the main focus of version 31, and yet the things that improved were everything not related to the military or combat.  I love the new underground and the reduced Attention Defici- Ooh Shiny Disorder in the dwarves, but those improvements aren't enough to outshine the dramatic upgrade to the military system that one gets when switching back to 40d.  You know, if we could have 40d's military with 31's everything else, that would be a pretty neat game.  I'd totally throw money at the development of that game, because that game desperately needs to exist.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 13, 2010, 02:40:05 pm »

The issue with bite attacks doing little or no damage was fixed in .06, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

As for the tracking ability, we don't (and probably never will) have scent trails in the game, sight range is probably a fixed number as far as I know. As for the speed, you'll have to ask the modding section.

As for the rest, its a rant, but hey, Toady is working on fixing it.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2010, 02:52:21 pm »

The issue with bite attacks doing little or no damage was fixed in .06, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

As for the tracking ability, we don't (and probably never will) have scent trails in the game, sight range is probably a fixed number as far as I know. As for the speed, you'll have to ask the modding section.

As for the rest, its a rant, but hey, Toady is working on fixing it.

scent trails would make a viable suggestion. Perhaps only animals with strong enough senses can follow it.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 13, 2010, 02:58:22 pm »

Oh, and one more thing:  The invention of the Arsenal Dwarf position?  That was a Crime.  A Crime.

Even a dedicated AD will prefer to sleep, eat, drink, party, or just take a week-long break at the most inconvenient of times.  On the one hand, I have to train my soldiers with training weapons to avoid training injuries.  On the other, I absolutely cannot rely on being able to switch to real weapons in less time than it takes for goblins to appear, move to the fortress, and massacre everyone, and it's because of the AD.

He's supposed to streamline and organize the military, but he impedes it.  Toady, there has always been an entity that handles the organization, storage, and assignment of equipment.  It's called the friggin' player.  And the player is actually pretty well qualified for the task.  Dwarves will never be, and you made them that way.  Forcing us to go through that bastard AD rather than do it ourselves is not a bug, or a design flaw, but an extended middle finger from you to the player.  It's a dick move, no matter what you intended to be.

So, here's my proposal.  I will donate $50 for the removal of the Arsenal Dwarf.  I will donate $20 additional if he reappears as a tortured soul in Hell (make his fate High Octane Nightmare Fuel and/or And I Must Scream, as explained at tvtropes.org) in future versions, if the previous condition has been met as well.  I will donate -$100 (as in, subtract from future donations) for the AD to remain as a required position.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2010, 03:03:11 pm »

You're being a bit arrogant or something you know?

In fact, the arsenal dwarf was suppoused to make things EASIER to manage.

There are alot of issues with the new system, and like any new system, you've gotta iron out the bugs. Now that the merge is done with, Toady is picking up speed again with the bugfixing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2010, 03:04:25 pm »

You're being a bit arrogant or something you know?

Lighten up.  It was funny.

In fact, the arsenal dwarf was suppoused to make things EASIER to manage.

I think he knows that:

He's supposed to streamline and organize the military, but he impedes it.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

And what's up with the war dogs being no faster than the dwarves?
I am mildly confused why you spent all that time writing so many words to describe the problem, when it takes less time to fix the problem yourself in the raws. It's an excellent suggestion too (though it will have a minor toll on FPS but that's trivial to deal with).

As for Arsenal Dwarf, actually no your real issue is over switching training weapons to real weapons because you don't want your dwarves hurt during training. That's a 40d mindset, one which is currently obsolete though it will be of use again in the future. Namely, what training injuries? The only training we do right now is individual weapon drills. Once formal group training is fixed, we'll see if training weapons are indispensable or not but even then that just means having more squads aroudn to rotate. Mind, if you're deliberately sticking ot the training weapons for the sake of realism and getting habit trained for when formal group training is fixed, then props to you.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:14:34 pm by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2010, 03:13:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The AD, as the manager or the broker are suppose to be the player will incarnate through the dwarfs. We tell them what to do, and the dwarfs go about it as best they can. Toady seems to be trying to take away the mysterious unseen hand of the dorf, and replace with the dwarfs doing it.

I'm pretty sure Toady has spoken about this being a goal.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30