Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 107195 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »

Yeah that's the Nuclear Quantum Warthogs - they had so much stuff it took them 6 months to just pack up. Presumably about as much time to lay out their goods unless you made good use of the "they still do it even while paused if you designate" feature.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »

Toady fixed surgery! YESSS!  ;D
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2010, 10:47:49 pm »

Yep, I can't wait for .07
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2010, 10:56:30 pm »

Now if Toady fixes the farming in .07, I'll definetly feel like playing in fort mode again. :)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2010, 10:59:15 pm »

whats wrong with farming?
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2010, 11:00:25 pm »

That...

And Toady, please, fix Military! I haven't even tried embarking in a dangerous area because of so much of the bugs associated with it.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2010, 11:02:44 pm »

That...

And Toady, please, fix Military! I haven't even tried embarking in a dangerous area because of so much of the bugs associated with it.

I'd be fine with a buggy military for a bit longer, if Healthcare was just much better. Which it is in .07!
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2010, 11:04:33 pm »

That...

This.....

As for the military stuff, its getting there. He's chipping hammering away at the military bugs one chunk at a time.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2010, 11:07:15 pm »

That...

This.....

As for the military stuff, its getting there. He's chipping hammering away at the military bugs one chunk at a time.

Hm, never had that problem. I stick to irrigating stone. No matter what anybody says, it's simple and easy.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2010, 11:08:53 pm »

Oh yeah! I did that on my first time playing 2010!
Cept after some picking of plants I planted prickle berries there.

That...

This.....

THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2010, 11:09:53 pm »

He's been working on those.  If you want to get them fixed faster, the best way to help is to upload saves for the persistent training bug, other problems with training, and the equipment bugs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2010, 11:12:41 pm »

That...

This.....

Hm, never had that problem. I stick to irrigating stone. No matter what anybody says, it's simple and easy.

You can do it that way, but I'm used to starting off with a subsurface area with soil farming, and its problematic for new players to DF.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2010, 11:17:31 pm »

I don't get these problems. If you position a dwarf to the barracks, then press 's' and then turn them to active, they will train.

But then if you turn them inactive, they won't train, unless they are positioned to the barracks.
Then whether or not they are positioned, they will do station and kill commands.

But when positioned and if they have nothing else to do, and they are inactive, they will train.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2010, 11:30:21 pm »

That...

This.....

You can do it that way, but I'm used to starting off with a subsurface area with soil farming, and its problematic for new players to DF.

I'm a new player (started like 2 days before .04), and I didn't have any trouble figuring out the farming...though, to be fair, I've watched all of cptnduck's tutorials...

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2010, 12:24:05 am »

Yeah, farming is pretty easy to set up in a year, even with irrigation.

1) Pick a murky pool (or several in a group).
2) Count how many squares. Multiply by 7, divide by 2. This is the absolute maximum size of your farm.
3) Dig out a farm area at least a bit smaller than this size.
4) Add floodgate(s) where you are connecting to the pool(s). Connect to lever and open.
5) Mine to the pool(s), either directly (see miner run) or by channelling from above.
6) When farm area completely flooded, close floodgate.
7) Wait.
8) Build farms.

The only tricky parts are if your pools evaporate or freeze at different times of the year. I find digging this out in the first spring and summer leaves you ready to flood in Autumn, when rains refill the pools and freezing hasn't set in yet.

One 70 square murky pool can support two 10x10 (maximum size) farm plots, which should do for anyone. I managed six 10x10 plots by Autumn of the first year, so that's more than doable and I probably don't have to think about farming again unless I want to grow something aboveground.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30