Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 107235 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2010, 05:19:43 pm »

"It has started raining" ... "Dwarves stagger towards safety, clutching their devastated tissues"...
It looks like the boiling rain bug is back.

Please don't start rumors in the absence of concrete evidence.  Even if you were joking, impressionable sorts will still take what you said seriously.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2010, 05:21:45 pm »

Osnap -- I had checked earlier that my own civ, was, indeed, on the civ screen, but now I notice it has "no important leaders." Does that make my fort an orphan?  :o

(I tried to post this and got an error, sorry if it shows up twice)
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2010, 05:25:41 pm »

Osnap -- I had checked earlier that my own civ, was, indeed, on the civ screen, but now I notice it has "no important leaders." Does that make my fort an orphan?  :o

(I tried to post this and got an error, sorry if it shows up twice)

Sounds like it.

Make a copy of your region file, then go and abandon the fort on your copy, go to embark and check if the civ that you chose has any sites on the map. Checking legends would help too.

Its possible that you've got a few dwarves somewhere that belong to your civ but aren't noteable.

Also, did you have cull events on in the advanced worldgen settings? That could have an effect, not sure.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2010, 05:33:56 pm »

Arrrrrgh two years and only a visit from elves, is playing as a dead civ considered a bug or an antifeature  :-X
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2010, 05:36:10 pm »

Its happened before in 40D where a few dwarves managed to escape somehow and one of them became the leader. It doesn't happen real often, but it can happen.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:08 pm »

Arrrrrgh two years and only a visit from elves, is playing as a dead civ considered a bug or an antifeature  :-X

Probably not even an Anti-feature... It'd probably piss people of to say "Nope, you can't use this world any more. Gen a new one, and flush all the history you want to engrave" just because the Dwarves lost a really big war... Anyway, just because the civ is dead doesn't mean that everyone who was part of it is.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2010, 06:56:32 pm »

Probably not even an Anti-feature... It'd probably piss people of to say "Nope, you can't use this world any more. Gen a new one, and flush all the history you want to engrave" just because the Dwarves lost a really big war... Anyway, just because the civ is dead doesn't mean that everyone who was part of it is.

I have no caravans, no nobles, and only a trickle of migrants. It's not fun or Fun  :'(

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2010, 07:09:41 pm »

I have no caravans, no nobles, and only a trickle of migrants.

Can you export your world gen settings and pot them here?  I'd like to try genning a world like this.

<- DF Isolationist.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2010, 07:22:20 pm »

I have no caravans, no nobles, and only a trickle of migrants. It's not fun or Fun  :'(

Build megaproject, or breach HFS. Especially new HFS (dunno what version you're using).
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2010, 07:29:06 pm »

Reproduce the old-fashioned way (instead of waiting for migrants, just build your own dwarves!).  Rebuild the dwarven society!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2010, 07:36:59 pm »

Reproduce the old-fashioned way (instead of waiting for migrants, just build your own dwarves!).  Rebuild the dwarven society!

Yeah, people have done Generational forts like this before. Jamini had a rather excellent 'Last Dwarves in the World' story going back in 40d.

And with the new Genetics, it's even more interesting. Once 31.x gets more stable I'm planning on trying one myself.

So...I'd say it's a feature that appeals to a particular set of players.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2010, 07:42:40 pm »

It may be that your civ is dead, but it may not. In a fort I had in .03, it took three years for the human caravan to show up. I believe that because caravans travel over-land now, sometimes it can take many years before they start actually arriving.

Good thing is anvils are cheaper at embark!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »

I have no caravans, no nobles, and only a trickle of migrants.

Can you export your world gen settings and pot them here?  I'd like to try genning a world like this.

<- DF Isolationist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Major bonus points if you "get" the seed  :P Note that I am running on Linux so maybe the seed goes a bit different for you ^^; But my dead civ is called The Sunken Tools. The map actually generates a huge ring of evil mountains with a desert in the middle. THERE should be pretty isolationist.
the map  :o

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2010, 08:08:58 pm »

Thanks for the heads up guys, no wonder I didn't find it, I scrolled through the whole animal list, but never looked down 3 lines further to see the empty animal cages and traps toggles. I feel kinda silly now, I should of thought to look there after the whole finding the "prepared food" toggle on the food stockpiles  :o

iambap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2010, 08:35:30 pm »

Major bonus points if you "get" the seed  :P Note that I am running on Linux so maybe the seed goes a bit different for you ^^; But my dead civ is called The Sunken Tools. The map actually generates a huge ring of evil mountains with a desert in the middle. THERE should be pretty isolationist.
the map  :o

Awesome, thanks!  I guess the seed is fitting, considering you probably feel as though intentionally generating a would like that may be a bad idea... I'm on windows, so I'm guessing it won't work, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway and see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30