Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released  (Read 107267 times)

virtual

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Doesn't work on Ubuntu AMD64
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2010, 07:14:18 pm »

Doesn't work on Ubuntu AMD64.  Spits out the following error:

./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You need to do:

sudo apt-get install lib32ncursesw5

[edited to reflect Baughn's explanation in following post]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:16:33 pm by virtual »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.06 Released
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2010, 07:46:09 pm »

No, it specifically needs the unicode version of libncurses. On most systems, ncursesw is not the same thing as libncurses. It would, maybe, be possible to make it work even if it's missing. I'm reading ld.so code trying to figure that out, at the moment.

However, ubuntu does have a lib32ncursesw5 package.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

Newb question, feel free to flame if it's covered somewhere:

What's the significance between the "legacy" and "SDL" versions? Toady's post seems to indicate to me that SDL versions include the graphics changes, such as zooming and the new print modes? Does legacy not include those?

I'm slightly confused as to why "legacy" would be considered the main download as linked from the main page, and first to be linked in the post.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2010, 08:00:41 pm »

are people so lazy they dont read the page right before the one they posted on?  :o

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2010, 08:09:40 pm »

AWESOME! What a fantastic treat! Thanks a planet load of precious metals and magma safe material!
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2010, 08:21:24 pm »

are people so lazy they dont read the page right before the one they posted on?  :o

Well... these threads tend to fill with useless posts...
Still, it should be sort of obvious. SDL uses the SDL graphics library, Legacy doesn't. Simple.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2010, 08:24:25 pm »

I think Toady should put that on the front page, in real simple words, so people can always see it and understand it.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »

Exactly so. I had no idea which came first, Legacy sounds cooler. I thought we we're moving over to OpenGL too.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2010, 08:39:51 pm »

Awesome, nice release, thank you. :) And thanks for putting it up on the main page hehe. DF deserves it. YOU deserve it. :D Anytime you feel you don't, come here and ask us and we'll tell you that you do.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2010, 08:54:02 pm »

Hey just a little FYI: if you want the music but already have a full version of DF then download the small version and copy over the music files (.ogg's i believe) and save some bandwidth.
Back to Mafia with me!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2010, 09:54:50 pm »

Deathcrow: Don't unpack the .06 tarball on top of an existing DF directory. That will mess up all sorts of things, as you've seen.
This would be easier to avoid if the tarball output to a directory with the version number in it.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2010, 09:56:57 pm »

Still, it should be sort of obvious. SDL uses the SDL graphics library, Legacy doesn't. Simple.

Yeah, I figured it would cost me not trying to backread.

It is just confusing that legacy is the "primary" download.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »

It's pretty normal for the stable version to be the one that's "recommended" -- the graphics system didn't change for a couple years, and here Baughn has coded up a much niftier one with excellent features.  New features means new bugs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2010, 10:41:12 pm »

If anything, we're pampered by 40d when setting up an underground farm was a matter of "dig out room in soil, make plots". Though I don't understand what's hard about doing the exact same thing but next to a murky pool. Do people hate counting tiles that much?
Its like anything that involves a lot of fire: you're supposed to prepare carefully, but everyone just wants to skip to the torching part because fire is more interesting.
I just want to set it at max size farm plot, plant plump helmets, and get on with the rest of the fortress so I can build something interesting. (or have Fun, whichever comes first)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2010, 10:57:34 pm »

Thanks a bunch! 31.06 is working great for me with a pre-existing (31.04, 31.05) fortress and I don't see anything abnormal. All 43 dwarves are working except the gimp child that's bedridden for life who lives in the hospital ("ability to stand lost")
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30