Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Awesome IRL embark sites  (Read 6051 times)

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome IRL embark sites
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pros: Flux, Sedimentary, Ocean (mermaids?), Historical Goblin French invasions should provide interesting engravings!
Cons: No interesting wildlife.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 04:40:07 pm »

ODOS ADDER, BEWARE IT'S DEADLY STING!
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 05:21:50 pm »

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »

Spoiler: BIG PICTURE (click to show/hide)
Because I like it my embark location to be as cold and heartless as my military.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:52:31 pm by Toast024 »
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 10:16:14 pm »

Pros: Flux, Sedimentary, Ocean (mermaids?), Historical Elf French invasions should provide interesting engravings!
Corrected for you. Everyone knows that the English are the ugly fuckers that goblins are based on (not the French), and that their siege-friendly nature in DF was set to emulate their historical aggression towards the dwarfy (read: permanently pished) Scots ;D
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 10:46:09 pm »

Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 10:46:19 pm »

Montreal.  Pros: soil for farming.  Large river for fishing and water.  Demonstrated ability to build an underground city.  Island for easy defense.  Heavily forested.  Volcano.  Cons: beluga whales drag your dwarves to their deaths in the river in the summer; in the winter, the river freezes over so goblins can just walk right in.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 10:54:32 pm by numerobis »

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:55 am »

How about Yellowstone?
Related: Wouldnt it be cool if geysers were implemented?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 04:48:23 am »

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 04:50:12 am »

Uluru/Ayer's Rock

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 05:03:04 am »

Montreal.  Pros: soil for farming.  Large river for fishing and water.  Demonstrated ability to build an underground city.  Island for easy defense.  Heavily forested.  Volcano.  Cons: beluga whales drag your dwarves to their deaths in the river in the summer; in the winter, the river freezes over so goblins can just walk right in.

Have to agree with this one. That underground is something. Why has no one yet mentioned the rock of Gibraltar?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 05:26:55 am »

Pros: Flux, Sedimentary, Ocean (mermaids?), Historical Elf French invasions should provide interesting engravings!
Corrected for you. Everyone knows that the English are the ugly fuckers that goblins are based on (not the French), and that their siege-friendly nature in DF was set to emulate their historical aggression towards the dwarfy (read: permanently pished) Scots ;D
Actually, if you read back on English history we do have a tendency to pick fights with everyone.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 07:21:21 am »

How about Yellowstone?
Related: Wouldnt it be cool if geysers were implemented?

I was going to post the Teton mountains, just south of Yellowstone, but realized my pictures of there aren't on this computer.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 11:28:13 am »

Golden, Colorado.

In case you can't figure it out from the site... It's at the foothills to the Rocky Mountains, with a stream (brook) running through from the mountains to the plains. The stream bisects a MASSIVE basalt mesa, splitting it in twain. Inbetween said mesa is the location of the  Coors brewery. The Colorado School of Mines is located up the street.

Actually, if everyone there was a midget with a full beard, it'd already be DF IRL. It's a mining town with a thriving school devoted to engineering and mining, with a MASSIVE brewery operation and a population of drunks (students) who love to do nothing more than come up with crazy projects (like putting a gigantic "M" on the top of a mountain, and then lighting it up.)

As for rock layers, it's mostly igneous intrusive with sedimentary layers scattered around (sandstone, mainly) and some metamorphic layers deeper in the mountains (slate, and some gneiss.) Also, limestone flux.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:30:22 am by Snook »
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 11:56:07 am »

LOVE this

...Although, I'm not sure I'd liken the 100-years-war French elf-like...  There's a reason the battle at Crecy makes such awesome comic book fodder...
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn
Pages: 1 [2] 3