Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege modding - help.  (Read 569 times)

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege modding - help.
« on: June 09, 2010, 04:27:39 am »

So.. I work on 40d, I'd like to know everything there is to know about sieges.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Re: Siege modding - help.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:33:50 am »

Babysnatchers are guaranteed to siege you occasionally, especially after stealing a baby.

Thieves will siege you after they have stolen something (Or bring back more thieves, and then siege you.)

Otherwise, the other way is to piss off traders, but I am not guaranteed this will cause a siege.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:36:22 am »

Disparaging ethics may play a part - this is how Elves can sometimes be at war with your civ when you begin the game.

What's your goal - bringing about more sieges?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:42:11 am »

To elaborate on the above - civs with the BABYSNATCHER and/or ITEM_THIEF tags will always be hostile to everyone else (including any civs they'd otherwise get along fine with) throughout worldgen, and will always be hostile to you in Fortress mode. This is not the same thing as two civs being at war - it'll get you the same relations as vanilla Dwarfs -> Goblins - there are a few differences in the way wars work, mainly during worldgen/legends, but nothing overly significant.

Modding ethics is the best way of getting actual wars to occur, but it's a very muddy process because there are certain factors which have an immense factor as opposed to other factors - Toady made a post about it a long while back somewhere which basically explained the effect each ethic has on potential relations. And if you're anything like me you won't want to sacrifice the flavour you can get out of modifying civ ethics just to slightly increase the chance that two very specific civs will start fighting - and even then they'll only do so if they actually meet each other and are in the same area.

Oh, also, in case you ask: There isn't any real way of modifying the size of sieges accurately.

I'm sure I've forgotten something... oh yeah, the chances of a civ going to war are influenced by the personality of its leader. So aggressive or generally warlike civvers will get into wars more often, while more measured ones won't, and such.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:52:06 am »

To elaborate on the above - civs with the BABYSNATCHER and/or ITEM_THIEF tags will always be hostile to everyone else (including any civs they'd otherwise get along fine with) throughout worldgen, and will always be hostile to you in Fortress mode. This is not the same thing as two civs being at war - it'll get you the same relations as vanilla Dwarfs -> Goblins - there are a few differences in the way wars work, mainly during worldgen/legends, but nothing overly significant.

Modding ethics is the best way of getting actual wars to occur, but it's a very muddy process because there are certain factors which have an immense factor as opposed to other factors - Toady made a post about it a long while back somewhere which basically explained the effect each ethic has on potential relations. And if you're anything like me you won't want to sacrifice the flavour you can get out of modifying civ ethics just to slightly increase the chance that two very specific civs will start fighting - and even then they'll only do so if they actually meet each other and are in the same area.

Oh, also, in case you ask: There isn't any real way of modifying the size of sieges accurately.

I'm sure I've forgotten something... oh yeah, the chances of a civ going to war are influenced by the personality of its leader. So aggressive or generally warlike civvers will get into wars more often, while more measured ones won't, and such.

Thanks a lot.

Disparaging ethics may play a part - this is how Elves can sometimes be at war with your civ when you begin the game.

What's your goal - bringing about more sieges?

Yup. Actually, 1 would suffice. I didn't have a siege so far but I feel prepared. What/where can I edit to make it occur?

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:35:18 am »

I believe if you remove the ability of the creature the entity is made of to speak which is done by replacing [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN] it should force the entity to be hostile in fortress mode. However this has a few side effects. Any attackers they send that are not taken from world-gen will lack a name, which also creates a number of entries in legends modes of creatures named "".   

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 12:23:21 pm »

I believe if you remove the ability of the creature the entity is made of to speak which is done by replacing [INTELLIGENT] with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN] it should force the entity to be hostile in fortress mode. However this has a few side effects. Any attackers they send that are not taken from world-gen will lack a name, which also creates a number of entries in legends modes of creatures named "".

Doing this also turns goblins essentially into just wild animals.

Instead of your dwarves having a kill list of each named goblin, they will just have a listing that says "Goblins: 25" right next to the "Skeletal Elk: 5839382"

There are a LOT of skeletal elk on terrifying glaciers.  :o