Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: good starting location to get shells?  (Read 1309 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: good starting location to get shells?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 06:32:27 pm »

I don't think anyone has a working "produce shells" reaction. Bodyparts don't work the same ways they used to. Note the lack of ability to make Shell stockpiles.
Darn that's a point, I was sure it was there but stringdump doesn't have it. Very well, plan B: mod cats to have shells. More readily available than trying to find hair/cartilage/hoof (though they're available in common domestic animals too).

I think that balancing out the "cheatey-ness" by making it a relatively difficult thing to obtain (hooves) was a good idea. I don't like feeling like I'm cheating to save that moody dwarf.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »

Shells should be no problem to obtain now, if you embark anywhere with a river especially. I have been feeding 50-90 dwarves almost exclusively with fishing. We're getting mussels from the brook, and pretty much more shells than we can use with a craftsdwarf's workshop constantly decorating with shell.

If you have any kind of water source, at least some shells should be available. A river or brook (some kind of endless/flowing water) is best. As long as it's 31.05 there shouldn't be any trouble.  Good Luck!

-ops
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 12:11:07 am »

I haven't been able to embark with turtles in an 2010 fort yet... I'll just mod Shells into my cave lobsters.  They should have them anyway.  Granted Turtle and mussel shells are stronger IRL.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 12:27:47 am »

I seem to get turtles on every map where there are murky pools or rivers.
There are so many they usually just end up rotting.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 04:36:53 am »

I haven't been able to embark with turtles in an 2010 fort yet... I'll just mod Shells into my cave lobsters.  They should have them anyway.  Granted Turtle and mussel shells are stronger IRL.
Embarking with turtles is useless because they're pre-cleaned turtles. You want raw turtles that you clean on-site to get shells. You don't get shells from eating turtles or lobsters anymore.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 06:33:56 am »

D'oh! oh yeah.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 12:02:38 pm »

no turtles or mussels on my map and now my legendary miner and broker has claimed a mason's workshop and is crying out for shells hrm! Without modding I won't be able to fulfill his request since eating turtles doesn't generate shells anymore.

I'm gonna try fishing in the caverns, though I haven't seen any lobsters down there anyway...
Pages: 1 [2]