Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbidding Dwarves From Going Outside  (Read 826 times)

zafo999

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Forbidding Dwarves From Going Outside
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:30:34 am »

So my first goblin ambush has turned my fortress into a proper clusterfuck. I'm trying to figure out how to keep my dwarves from all rushing outside, scrambling around, and getting killed. Everywhere I have looked has told me to hit 'o' for the orders menu, then 'i' to make it so only military goes outside. But My orders menu has no 'i' option. I'm guessing 'o' then 'i' was for an older version of the game. Is there a way to do this in the newest version?

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding Dwarves From Going Outside
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:54:08 am »

That command was replaced by burrows, and you can set them yourself. It's much more effective now.

And this topic has been brought up several times before, please use search next time.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:29:08 am »

I'm guessing 'o' then 'i' was for an older version of the game. Is there a way to do this in the newest version?

You have guessed correctly, the way it's done in the new version is to set up one or more "burrows," which amounts to painting regions of your map to define burrows. Burrows can overlap too. I have used two so far: one called PanicRoom and another called FarmingZone. Might make a third called hospitalZone, just to keep the doctors hanging around the patients.

The wiki has some info on it here.

Two useful things can be done once burrows are set up:
1. Citizens can be assigned to a burrow, and will only move about in that area.
2. Burrows can be assigned to an alert, so for instance I have an alert called General Alarm, and it is assigned to my burrow PanicRoom. So if I set the civilians to General Alarm, they all move into the area I've designated as PanicRoom and won't leave until I change the alert back ( to another alert called All Clear).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:35:11 am by AngleWyrm »

zafo999

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:35:30 am »

Wonderful! Thank you both