Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water wheels in the ocean  (Read 679 times)

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
Water wheels in the ocean
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:19:21 am »

I Tried embarking on the ocean today, having done a bit of research on the wiki first i found out that you need a pump and constructed floors to desalinate the water. I did this and then decided to power it with a water wheel as it was next to the ocean. Upon building it next to the pump the water wheel wasn't producing power, is this a bug or intended?

here's a rough diagram of what the setup look like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Water wheels in the ocean
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:41:36 am »

I dont think water wheels transfer power that way. And even if it did, you might be blocking off the source its pumping from. But on a third note. I'm probably 90 percent sure, theres no flow in the ocean across the coast line like that, so it wouldn't power it. You need to have moving water for that to work. If you dont wanna be complex, just build a windmill above it, since it looks like you have access anyways. Its what I always do. If you really want a waterwheel. You'd have to dig a channel, and not have water in it yet, build your water wheels in the channel, then put your pump at the end of the channel, then another pump pumping water out of your reservoir into another channel that goes back into the ocean, but be careful cause this will flood a little bit/alot. Yeah experience there. Easiest way to stop flooding is to build a second building all the way around the pump and second channel like completely floor the second one off. Then if will have to go into the ocean. You probably dont understand what I mean, but I'm sure someone can explain it better.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:23:25 am »

Well, it seems it does transfer power like that, as the new windmill is powering both pump and the water wheel, another quick query: why can't I zone the ocean for fishing? (would a channel allow me to catch all those jelly fish i keep seeing or just regular fish?
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:07 am »

Quick counter-question: are you designating that fishing zone over both land and sea? Are you doing so without involving a beach?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:15 am »

it's on the beach, next to the waters edge(next to desalinater actually)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:49:44 am »

The center tile of a water wheel is impassable, and it will prevent an attached pump from drawing liquid through it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.