Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a creature with no hair, ears, or noses.  (Read 472 times)

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
Making a creature with no hair, ears, or noses.
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:20:22 pm »

So, I'm trying to port my 40d mods to 31.xx, and I'm sorta new to the new format. Two of my custom races are non-mammal, so they don't have hair, or at least, I don't think they should. So I attempted to port one of them over, which increased the linecount sevenfold, but I'm not sure if I totally messed up those features. I mainly drew blanks, literally, for the Draconian ones. http://ishkur.pastebin.com/whpmQf8G

So, how can I make them with no hair/ears/noses? Thanks.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Making a creature with no hair, ears, or noses.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:42:32 pm »

The stock raws are very useful for this sort of thing. If you make a dragon race, look at the dragon raws. If you make a spider race, look at the giant cave spider raws. etc.

Here you only need to remove ears from [BODY:etc, and remove hair as a material and tissue by adding the appropriate [REMOVE_MATERIAL: and [REMOVE_TISSUE: tags. Might want to add some scales instead of skin too with them being scaly and all. Those are also in the stock raws of any reptilian. You should also remove hairstyles/colors/etc, and possibly replace skin color with scale color.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Making a creature with no hair, ears, or noses.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 11:43:03 pm »

For removing ears and noses it should just be a matter of removing the 2EARS and NOSE from the body entry (Line 10 on your pastebin)  and then getting rid of any extra colons.  I belive that would turn into something like this.
Code: [Select]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
Removing hair is a little more complex.  I have my own reptilian humanoid creature and I'm not quite sure I did it the best way but changing lines 11 and 12 to something like.
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]

And then changing line 13 to    
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SCALE:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
Should give your creature scales instead of regular skin(which I assume from the prefstring that you want) as well as removing hair.  it has been a long time since I made those modifications to my own creature, so I may have forgotten something, but if I did that should get you at least most of the way there.

P.S. And yea, I learned all my modding skills from puzzling out vanilla raws.  I still  more often copy and paste bits I want from other creatures more often than I type them out from scratch.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:45:49 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!