Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Going to a 'real' school. :-O  (Read 6290 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Going to a 'real' school. :-O
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 03:23:32 pm »

Never. Never actually wanted to.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »

Myself. It was justified through and through.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 07:03:52 pm »

I wonder how many of you ever actually beat anybody up in high school.

I did it all the time. Got paid for it, too. Eventually, I got so good at beating people o-

Oh, beating people up? I thought you meant- never mind what I thought you meant.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 07:12:38 pm »

Oh wow, Josephus.

I wouldn't say I beat anyone up, but I certainly got in fights. Nothing big. Mostly just settling issues in a masochistic fashion. You win about as much as you lose, and nobody gets seriously hurt. I spent quite a few summers at an all-guys camp and eventually became a counselor, so fighting feels pretty natural to me.

The idea of a tough guy kicking the crap out of a not-so-though guy, no, I've never been on either side of that equation. If it's not a fair fight it's cruel.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:03 pm »

My record stands at one win, one outright loss, and about six or seven times the fight consisted of grappling with each other until forcibly separated.  One could be a loss, but I got my ass kicked by a posse.

I recommend completely against anything involving violence, because school administrators are completely retarded and Stepford Wife shut-ins themselves.  There is no question or accounting of motive or situation; if you fight in school, you will be punished exactly the same as the other guy.  Believe me, they are legally obligated to not care.  And if bring anything could be construed as a weapon and try to use it, kiss your ass goodbye.

Regarding the overall question, it's amazingly easy to make friends in gradeschool.  10th grade was one of the best years of my life, not least because I made tons of new friends without even trying.  Especially since you're moving in and obviously a religious sort of person, there will be loads of people you'll get to know and hang around with after no time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 07:29:09 pm »

Yeah, I think I might be alright.

Everyone keeps telling me that the first semester will be a 'practice' semester, since we'll be moving right after. They are not helping  ::)

Thanks for all the advice people.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:13 pm »

Just remember to do homework and don't get STD's.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 11:33:04 pm »

I once clubbed a senior in the face.

I generally don't get into fights though. It's odd, because no one ever wants to fight me. I guess size intimidates.

Also, you'll probably fit in fine at your new school. I've been moving my entire life: there's always someone who shares somewhat similar interests. And on that note, I'm moving this year! Going to play football some more, maybe get a GF, finally getting my braces off, probably going to get a car. It's going to be an awesome year.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 11:35:15 pm »

...I wish I could get my braces off. One more year :-P
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 05:31:53 am »

I didn't

and I got fucked with for my whole first year

Hence my advice
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 05:33:20 am »

I had my braces on in grade 4, off in grade 6. The first other person I knew with braces got them on in grade 7. They say early is better, but when you're the only guy who's got them versus everyone having them in high school, I dunno, it's a pain. Braces in high school are nothing. I didn't even notice when my best friend got them off, actually (and I felt like a dick for it, heh, but it just shows how little they matter).

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 05:58:25 am »

Let me just run over the Scottish education system so you can have an idea of age and stuff where this story is concerned.
At 4-5 years old, you begin school.
You start at Primary 1. You learn basic things for a year, then move onto the next stage.
Primary 2: You learn more basic things, just more of them.
Primary 3: More of the same
Primary 4: MOAR
Primary 5: Begin more advanced concepts, such as creative writing, art techniques, famous authors
Primary 6: More of the above
Primary 7: Preparation for moving up into Secondary, where you work towards your qualifications. Basic sex education here.

Secondary 1: You begin learning advanced concepts, things like chemistry, physics, biology, geography (and geology), in-depth history, woodworking, metalworking, etc
Secondary 2: Same as above, but at the end of the year you choose 7 subjects to concentrate on to get your "standard levels", your basic qualifications
Secondary 3: You work towards your exams
Secondary 4: Same as above, but it's crunch time and you have to do your exams. Arguably the most important part - failing more than 3 times in a subject will mean you will not get qualifications for that subject. After the exams, you can choose to leave or to stay on another year.
Secondary 5 (Optional): Here you can work towards "Higher Levels" for entry to college or university. You concentrate on 5 subjects only. You can choose to leave at the end of this year.
Secondary 6 (Optional): Final year, you work towards "Advanced Highers" and can further your knowledge even more, allowing for easier routes into more advanced courses at universities.

Right, so imagine this. I'm in Secondary 1, and this other guy is in Secondary 5. He's having a fight with someone else. Apparently I'm the only available munition, and being short as it is, I'm very easy to pick up. He throws me bodily at his opponent, and shortly afterwards apologises because he thought he was throwing his rucksack.
So if you count that as beating someone up, then yes.
I've only been injured once, but that was more collateral damage than being beaten up. The guy was just lashing out at everyone that day.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 06:29:58 am »

Yeah, Bullies are mostly overestimated by Hollywood. I only had to beat up one fat kid in middle school and I'm only now starting to get picked on again (end of 10th Grade).
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 06:54:32 am »

Right, so imagine this. I'm in Secondary 1, and this other guy is in Secondary 5. He's having a fight with someone else. Apparently I'm the only available munition, and being short as it is, I'm very easy to pick up. He throws me bodily at his opponent, and shortly afterwards apologises because he thought he was throwing his rucksack.
So if you count that as beating someone up, then yes.

That is... I'm not sure, but it's hilarious.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 07:40:25 am »

Not me. But I never really need to.

Probably because no one bothers me because of my shifty eyes and knives wielded Wolverine-style at all social gatherings. (No, not really.)

Regarding the overall question, it's amazingly easy to make friends in gradeschool.  10th grade was one of the best years of my life, not least because I made tons of new friends without even trying.  Especially since you're moving in and obviously a religious sort of person, there will be loads of people you'll get to know and hang around with after no time.

Yeah, if school is anything remotely like mine and apparently Aqizzar's (ie: anything that isn't a shithole public school), you won't need to do anything to attract friends. You'll just sort of meet up with people with similar interests during random discussions/courses/activities/whatever. I'm not sure how the "religious" part fits in, but I guess it can be considered like any other hobby that would attract like minded people. But I don't recommend using church as an excuse to gather friends and/or hit on girls. Especially not the priest's daughter. Else God will smite you.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6