Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Solar System  (Read 7275 times)

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Solar System
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 08:45:49 pm »

Blue giant. They're pretty.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »

K5V

Alpha Centauri B is a good example of this type.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 08:52:37 pm »

How about a star system formed from a massive nebula that orbits around a neutron star? The stars would have to be far enough away from each other that they had a sustainable orbit with room for more orbiting bodies, though I like the thought of planets occasionally jumping from one star to another when they come a little too close. Probably wouldn't happen to a planet close enough to be earth like, so life would only have to endure an occasional brightening of the night sky.

As for what star this system will be centered around, how about a blue giant or sun-like star?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

I'm getting tired of "Can we do this" discussions. Just pick a damn star type and get over it. ::)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 08:57:46 pm »

I'm getting tired of "Can we do this" discussions. Just pick a damn star type and get over it. ::)

Well, then why even have this thread? Just use a random number generator.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 09:01:29 pm »

I'd rather not use the RNG.

Anyway, the star was completely destroyed in the supernova. So PLEASE, vote for a normal star, no black holes or neutron stars.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:07:49 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 09:05:38 pm »

Well, then why even have this thread? Just use a random number generator.
I want you guys to pick, I have horrible creativity, and the RNG is unpredictable. You don't like me not accepting black holes or other stuff, don't post. Seriously, just pick an average star. I never expected you to want to have a black hole or a neutron star as our sun.

It may not have helped when I said exotic. Plus this is a protistellar cloud guys!, not a stellar remnant!, which is what black holes and neutron stars are.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 10:11:52 pm »

Know what? How about the next turn?

A compromise between both suggestions, we get a green sub-giant.

And lo and behold, a sun was born, a green sub-giant. The green glow emanating throughout the gas cloud. (THE STAR STILL HAS NO NAME)

Slowly, clumps of rocks formed. asteroids have been born.

What happens now?

Spoiler: The system now. (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:14:38 pm by Tarran »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 10:17:23 pm »

Green? Come on, have we ever seen a green star? Other than UV pictures of the sun anyway. I'll just file my complaint and leave it at that since it would depend on what wavelength we are looking at, and you've already done the art, and green is my favorite color anyhow,

Speaking of green stars, Galactic Civ II has green and purple stars which really just represent special or unusual stars.

>Continue the planet building proccess until some larger planetoids develop. This will take a few million years really.....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:21:38 pm by smjjames »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 10:21:38 pm »

I had to find a compromise. Looking again, that may have not been the best way. :P

Anyway, let's just say our star is special and leave it at that.

Also: got any names you want for the sun?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »

Yea, the ones in GalCiv II were special (if being barren of planets makes it special), so I accepted that, and will here.

As for the name, trying to think of a few ideas. I was thinking along the lines of verde which is spanish for green, also similar to verdant. Tried green fire in spansih, but Fuego Verde doesn't quite come out right to me.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:17 pm »

Yea, the ones in GalCiv II were special (if being barren of planets makes it special), so I accepted that, and will here.

As for the name, trying to think of a few ideas. I was thinking along the lines of verde which is spanish for green, also similar to verdant. Tried green fire in spansih, but Fuego Verde doesn't quite come out right to me.
Barren of planets? Oops. :P

Fuego Verde seems... Like it would be used for a planet or something. Try Russian, Chinese, or Japanese names.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 10:36:36 pm »

Yeah, a green star is kinda weird because it should go blue - white - yellow, not blue - green -yellow, but meh. It's a game, we can have fun with it.

I vote for calling the star "Aokaze"

I also vote for making a large tropical planet almost completely covered in water (90%+) called "Tori".
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 10:40:32 pm »

Yeah, a green star is kinda weird because it should go blue - white - yellow, not blue - green -yellow, but meh. It's a game, we can have fun with it.

I also vote for making a large tropical planet almost completely covered in water (90%+) called "Tori".
I know, too late to change the color. Oh well.

Name is nice, though it seems a little "off" for me. Though it's a good name.

Going a bit too fast RNG, planets don't make themselves in 500,000 years you know. :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »

Barren of planets? Oops. :P

Fuego Verde seems... Like it would be used for a planet or something. Try Russian, Chinese, or Japanese names.

Or latin.

As for being barren of planets, that was just a game mechanism as it (along with purple stars) are rare. The purple special ones have the rare 20+ habitatibility planets. Earth was habitatibility 5 I think, meaning that a class 20+ would be Eden. Enough offtopic though.

Blatant GalCiv II reference there..... Not that I'll vote against it, and we have a couple of million years of planet formation to get through.

As for the star name, that one sounds ok to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3