Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Solar System  (Read 7274 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
The Solar System
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:32 pm »

(I had to retype this, argh).
The Solar System: A suggestion solar system simulation.

Another go at forum games. Since I'm not very creative, I'll leave the creativity to you guys.

Rules:
1: Don't go too fast. You should plan your suggestions to be within less than or exactly 500,000 years*. *(Or whatever, just around that amount of time).
2: No stupid suggestions. How do you know something classifies as stupid? Read it yourself. If it seems like that would never happen in real life, then that's likely a stupid suggestion.
3: You can Veto. You can also support something. ONLY ONE THING CAN HAPPEN AT A TIME.

Goal: There is no goal. The Goal is to play until I, or you get bored. You can make your own goals if you want, though the game won't stop if you reached your goal.
When a majority votes that the system is "done". You are allowed to go back in time to another brand new system. Beware though: You cannot go back.

The beginning:

In the beginning, there was a single red Supergiant star. And nothing else.

Then a flash, the sun had gone supernova. The star had reached the end of it's lifetime.

A large cloud of gas was sent into space, within that cloud, a star was born, our sun.

What kind of star is our sun? (note: It cannot be a super or hyper giant).
What is it's name?

Spoiler: The system now (click to show/hide)

Posting before I have to write this all over again.  :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Solar System
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »

(I had to retype this, argh).
The Solar System: A suggestion solar system simulation.

Another go at forum games. Since I'm not very creative, I'll leave the creativity to you guys.

Rules:
1: Don't go too fast. You should plan your suggestions to be within less than or exactly 500,000 years*. *(Or whatever, just around that amount of time).
2: No stupid suggestions. How do you know something classifies as stupid? Read it yourself. If it seems like that would never happen in real life, then that's likely a stupid suggestion.
3: You can Veto. You can also support something. ONLY ONE THING CAN HAPPEN AT A TIME.

Agreed, none of that crap which happened in those create your world/universe threads. A little bit of exoticness is fine I guess as there are some strange exoplanets out there.

As far as the sun, it would be a main sequence star and a realistic type (that is, it won't die before life has a chance to evolve) would be F-M.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:03:40 pm by smjjames »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:03:48 pm »

>Neutron star formed

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:06 pm »

>Neutron star formed

From the supernova, yes, but we're following a protostar that is forming from the stellar nursery.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 08:07:40 pm »

>Neutron star formed
I only accept suggestions for the star like this:

[color][type].
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:12:33 pm »

Besides, a neutron star would be uninhabitable for life as we know it. Despite sci-fi novels such as Dragons Egg.

Main Sequence G or K type.

As far as red dwarfs, those are doable as there are a whole bunch of exoplanets around red dwarf stars.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:14:17 pm by smjjames »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:17:00 pm »

I'm actually looking for a Yerkes spectral classification star, but I get the idea what you mean by G or K. Though I would like it to be in YSC form.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:25:52 pm »

Why orbit around a star when you can orbit around a dormant black hole?

As to how this could work out for life, how about have some of them 'feed' off of the radiation of the black hole (wasn't it called Hawking radiation?) just like plants feed off the radiation of a sun. Though more likely most life would feed off of something else, which would depend on the planet they're on, which we haven't gotten too yet.

We could also have a star, or a few stars, that are also caught in orbit around the black hole and pass by the planet with a good amount of regularity.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:27:40 pm »

(wasn't it called Hawking radiation?)

It is indeed.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:27:48 pm »

As to how this could work out for life, how about have some of them 'feed' off of the radiation of the black hole (wasn't it called Hawking radiation?) just like plants feed off the radiation of a sun. Though more likely most life would feed off of something else, which would depend on the planet they're on, which we haven't gotten too yet.
Black holes? Well, I don't know, there's just so many problems with it, and I don't want this thread turning into a debate,

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:31:44 pm »

Black holes? Well, I don't know, there's just so many problems with it, and I don't want this thread turning into a debate,

What problems? A dormant black hole wouldn't suck the planet in if it's far enough away, and I've stated solutions to the problems with life arising.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:37:04 pm »

What problems? A dormant black hole wouldn't suck the planet in if it's far enough away, and I've stated solutions to the problems with life arising.

It would be lifeforms at the extremes of life not as we know it. Besides, theres many other problems with life arising that you haven't stated.

Like Tarran said, this thread could turn into a debate, and I don't want it to become a debate thread. Maybe I shouldn't have said exotic earlier without defining exotic.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:38:41 pm by smjjames »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:38:44 pm »

Well, we don't know the exact things life needs. That's the problem, it could need light for all we know. Even if life can survive without light, it's going to have a damn hard time evolving.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 08:41:23 pm »

Exactly.

What I was really trying to say as far as exotic was that we could have planets with different atmospheres, having earth sized moons around a gas giant, hell, even having a F type or K type star or even a red dwarf star would change everything.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 08:43:19 pm »

Now, can people please suggest a star before this turns into a discussion thread?
Pages: [1] 2 3