Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Murky water undrinkable?  (Read 682 times)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Murky water undrinkable?
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:20:51 pm »

I ran out of beer and had two miners drop dead of thirst rather than drink from a murky pool. I don't recall this being normal.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Re: Murky water undrinkable?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:22:58 pm »

They probably karoshi'd. It's a bug.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:23:19 pm »

Is it designated as a water source? Are your dwarves set to "zone-only drinking"? My dwarves drank from a pool once, but it took them forever so i think it might be bugged.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:22:08 pm »

Yea, it's a water source but come to think of it they wouldn't use it to fill buckets either.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:45:04 am »

I'd say its inaccessible, or salt water. If your at the ocean. All the waters salt.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:21:57 am »

what water level was it? because I dont think they'll drink from 0/7.
Signature goes here.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:11:44 am »

I'd say its inaccessible, or salt water. If your at the ocean. All the waters salt.

I've had salt water in murky pools at embark on sites quite far from the ocean (or at least with no ocean tiles on the local map).  However, I've always had the warning about lack of drinkable water before embarking.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:58:35 pm »

I ran out of beer
Your problem and reason of death are the same. In the U.S colonies on the sea they only drank beer because it was all saltwater!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 01:02:28 pm »

Murky, muddy, and stagnant water is drinkable, but gives dwarves unhappy thoughts and they really try to avoid drinking it unless they're going to die of thirst.

Salt water isn't drinkable at all.

Dwarves prefer clean, flowing water to drink from, such as a brook, and they like to drink from it out of a well. Running water through a pump also purifies the water.

To ensure you always have good water just create a small cistern, completely lined with block floors and walls. I prefer rock blocks, but glass is fine. Rough stone is undwarvenly. Wood is downright elven.  >:(  Then create a pump that pumps into the cistern. The pump purifies the water and the lined cistern keeps the water pure. As dwarves don't drink that much water you don't need to hook it up to a machine, just have a dwarf pump for a few seconds every year and he'll keep it topped off for you.