Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No migrants?, no caravans?  (Read 1225 times)

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No migrants?, no caravans?
« on: June 07, 2010, 06:53:50 pm »

So my fort is going on 7 now and i haven't seen any migrants since the first year and i've never seen a single caravan. A giant noseless, winged llama managed to fly into my fort. He stomped a few skulls before we could kill him and made some people rot to death after. Now i'm left with 4 dorves and hoping for a few migrants. My question is: Are migrants glitched for the current version, or do they still arrive? because my fort has generated about 140k in wealth and that seemed to be enough to get more migrants than i could handle before...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: No migrants?, no caravans?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:57:33 pm »

Migrants are tied to the caravan, yes. Your civ's caravan needs to enter your map and exit in order for migrnants to come in the spring.

If you've never received a caravan, you may be stuck in a location that has no contact with anybody, or your civ is dead. Check the 'c'iv screen.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:03:04 pm »

The civ screen does have my home civ, but it says "this land has no important leaders" which doesn't sound good for a civ that's supposed to be a monarchy.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:07:00 pm »

Then your civ is dead. You'll have to reembark with a different civ if you want a caravan, and migrants.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:08:40 pm »

:'( hahaha, maybe ill try and breed them back into existence...

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:22:43 pm »

I have this problem, but I did get an initial batch of migrants that pushed my fort population up.

The only thing I can think of is that I hurried on making rock trinkets to sell, so maybe the first wave came due to that before the game realized I couldn't get caravans, hehe. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:24:03 pm »

Yeah, i got two migrations, but it stopped cold after that... now im down to 3...

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:35:07 pm »

Wall yourself in since nobody is coming. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:28:19 pm »

The first wave or two of migrants seems to be hard-coded; they occur regardless of whether your civilization exists, and regardless of wealth - though wealth generated may affect their size, or at least I've observed it to (probably more complex than that, could conceivably also be linked to how much mining occurs).

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:49:01 pm »

I'm kind of confused as to how a dead civilization sends out a party to settle someplace. I wish there was a warning before embark, now i'll have to play with "RECLAIM FORTRESS" at the top...

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 09:03:11 pm »

I'm guessing they are the last survivors of the dead civilization. :)

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 09:11:42 pm »

Hahaha, i guess i've taken care of that problem...

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 10:11:52 pm »

In the legends, it says that my parent civ founded a new fortress in the same year that i founded my last one. How's that possible if the civ is dead?

EDIT: upon further inspection it appears that leftover settlers from a previous abandoned fortress have banded together and created an AI fortress?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:13:48 pm by cakeonslaught »

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:22:30 am »

In the legends, it says that my parent civ founded a new fortress in the same year that i founded my last one. How's that possible if the civ is dead?

EDIT: upon further inspection it appears that leftover settlers from a previous abandoned fortress have banded together and created an AI fortress?

That can happen. If a fortress is abandoned under the right conditions (no enemies on the map?) the dwarfs present form a group of wanderers, which can then interact with the world and found new fortresses. Or something like that.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 12:33:06 am »

However, they won't have a king, so the civ will still ultimately be dead.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?
Pages: [1] 2