Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invading Dwarves Avoiding Traps  (Read 1625 times)

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invading Dwarves Avoiding Traps
« on: June 07, 2010, 02:23:25 pm »

So I have had a ton of traitorous dwarves appearing with my goblin ambushes lateley and they avoid every trap I have out for them. How should I go about caging them? Is there a way to set it up using pressure plates that will not trap my dwarves as well?

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Invading Dwarves Avoiding Traps
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:15:12 pm »

I believe that kidnapped dwarves retain knowledge of all traps in the fortress at the time of their kidnapping. New traps should take care of them.

Then again, that was in 40d. And even then, it's entirely possible I'm wrong here.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »

Also, pressure plates don't trigger on trap avoid enemies if I recall - though yes you can set them to not trigger on friendly targets. If you really want to cage instead of kill these traitors, you'll have to knock them unconscious while they're on top of cage traps. Cave-in dust is the default solution to this.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:39:51 pm »

Also, pressure plates don't trigger on trap avoid enemies if I recall - though yes you can set them to not trigger on friendly targets. If you really want to cage instead of kill these traitors, you'll have to knock them unconscious while they're on top of cage traps. Cave-in dust is the default solution to this.
Best part is, cave-in dust causes injuries now.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:52:51 pm »

I've been cage trapping turn-coat dwarves without any problems in 2010. The only catch is that you apparently can't assign them to other cages or pit them like other creatures, so the 40 z-level drop method of emptying them isn't workable. You either have to let them out and have your military execute them, or destroy the entire cage.

By avoid, you don't mean going around the traps? If that's the case, just set up a line across a corridor so they have no choice to step on one. Or perhaps the traps have been built but not actually loaded with a cage? Loaded traps are bright green, empty are dark green. If all else fails, nothing, not even forgotten beasts, can avoid upright spikes linked to a lever set to repeat.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 06:43:04 pm »

They were not kidnapped from my fortress. They are just dwarves that are members of the goblin ambushes. They go over the cage traps and weapon traps but they do not trigger. I have seen 6 dwarves do that so far. The goblins get caught just fine though. Cave ins wouldnt really work either since they are invading on the surface.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 06:53:23 pm »

Do you have modified raws where dorfs have TRAP_AVOID? Any mods that might have mucked about with the creature raws?

I got plenty (well, a bunch) of caged dwarfs that were part of goblin ambushes and I can't remember them not getting caught in the first line of traps, either.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:18:54 pm »

I know berserk dwarves get caught in traps. Or at least they did... do they still?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:13:26 pm »

There is a phenomenon where allowing a Human/Elven diplomat to observe your traps will allow subsequent invaders from said civilization to avoid them. Presumably, something similar can happen with Goblin civilization members leading siege/ambush squads (as opposed to the generic weapon users created out of thin air when they arrive on the map edge).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:02:06 pm »

It's the will of Armok. He's saying traps are too good for them, you must slaughter them in melee combat and spread their blood over the stones of your fortress.

Either that or it's a bug... take your pick.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:35:41 am »

Gah, wrong thread, doh!

so all deleted.

On topic, Never experienced this, wish I could help. Sorry!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 05:49:20 pm »

I atom smashed the cages of 5 traitor dwarves recently... The goblins (minus thieves--they got the smasher too) were thrown into an enclosed pond in the underdark below the fortress to drown along with the Cave Crocodile who was too lazy to attack them.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 09:08:50 pm »

I know berserk dwarves get caught in traps. Or at least they did... do they still?
Yep.
Even better, your dwarves now bring water to your own caged dwarves, even if they're berserk. Which is interesting. And possibly a bug.

And furthermore to caged enemies, iirc if you dropped the entire cage from a sufficient height you would get a message like "<X> has died in a cage."