Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 108

Author Topic: DFHack 0.5.15 (legacy)  (Read 400835 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.5.15
« Reply #1455 on: June 08, 2011, 01:02:22 am »

andux you said you found the file to bring back saving any news on finding out adventure retiring?

I haven't found what controls retiring yet; there doesn't seem to be a global "can retire" flag, so I suspect it's something in the creature data (maybe a site membership field that needs to be cleared?).
weird for body swaping the civ members  don't allow such a thing or bodyswaping old adventurers I guess it's trigger by the mode it self and targets one creature at a time.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 08, 2011, 06:15:13 am »

Why doesn't DFLiquids reset the occupied flag when it removes liquids?

EDIT:
And for the DFAutoDump tool would it be possible to have a flag to only destroy items (stone) that haven't been built into something?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:40:28 am by Root Infinity »
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1457 on: June 08, 2011, 07:59:32 am »

Why doesn't DFLiquids reset the occupied flag when it removes liquids?
Why? I see no relation between creatures and liquids.
EDIT:
And for the DFAutoDump tool would it be possible to have a flag to only destroy items (stone) that haven't been built into something?
That's the default AFAIK. Turning it off doesn't make sense.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 09, 2011, 11:21:08 pm »

Is there any chance of a module for DFhack that does something like this:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:For_Each_Tile

I'm basically just after the "replace all tiles of type X to type Y" functionality.
For example, I want all the granite on the map to be obsidian instead, and that gold to be platinum.

Though the conditions you could set for it, like limiting the action to "in viewport" or "on current level" would also be nice.

edit:
Just read about dfmarmot. Not sure to what extent it does what I want, but I'll check it out and will add it to the utility list on the wiki.
I should list it as a seperate utility, or a DFhack module?

(I'll also see about reorganizing and listing all the DFhack modules in a compact manner on the wiki)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:36:39 pm by Naros »

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1459 on: June 10, 2011, 08:11:09 am »

Is there any chance of a module for DFhack that does something like this:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Utility:For_Each_Tile

I'm basically just after the "replace all tiles of type X to type Y" functionality.
For example, I want all the granite on the map to be obsidian instead, and that gold to be platinum.

Though the conditions you could set for it, like limiting the action to "in viewport" or "on current level" would also be nice.

edit:
Just read about dfmarmot. Not sure to what extent it does what I want, but I'll check it out and will add it to the utility list on the wiki.
I should list it as a seperate utility, or a DFhack module?

(I'll also see about reorganizing and listing all the DFhack modules in a compact manner on the wiki)
OK. Let's clear some things up first.
DFHack isn't Tweak. DFHack modules are only visible to developers and there is nothing the user would ever see of them save for some error messages when things break. Modules are parts of the DFHack API and they basically break it down into manageable chunks. What you're thinking about there are /tools/. Everything that uses DFHack and communicates with the user is a tool.

Anyway, I'm very unlikely to add anything like this to DFHack as a module - it just doesn't make sense. As a tool it would be fine, maybe with the filtering part shared with other tools. For this to happen, I'll have to figure out how to do GUI tools across platforms and get them to the users first...

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: June 10, 2011, 01:22:32 pm »

As a user, the exact nomenclature is of little consequence to me.
I mean no offence, and what you're doing is awesome and much appreciated, but people do tend to be a bit random when it comes to naming things. :)
Though I'll stick to your preferred names on the wiki, of course.

The dfliquids command line tool is easy to understand, and it works. Such a system would work for this tool as well. I think that would be much easier than trying to figure out a cross-platform GUI.
GUIs are handy, and I wouldn't say they're overrated, but they are a luxury that the majority of DF players can do without.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1461 on: June 10, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »

As a user, the exact nomenclature is of little consequence to me.
Still, it's good to have an agreed upon way to call things. In case of Tweak, it made sense to talk about modules, because it was a single GUI tool that could be extended with those. In case of DFHack, for example there's the Items module, which allows you to to mess with the DF items. If I was the author of Tweak, I'd call the modules 'plugins'. Mainly because with modules, I expect them to be parts of a fixed system - parts without which it simply won't work, but still distinct parts. Plugins on the other hand are things you can add to some already existing system to extend it.

I won't rule out the possiblity of having a GUI tool that can be extended with plugins :D
The dfliquids command line tool is easy to understand, and it works. Such a system would work for this tool as well. I think that would be much easier than trying to figure out a cross-platform GUI.
GUIs are handy, and I wouldn't say they're overrated, but they are a luxury that the majority of DF players can do without.
dfliquids is very minimal when it comes to user interaction. To do anything more involved, I really need a GUI, even if it's something custom-made using curses (dfstatus and dfveinlook use that). Without using something like Qt or some extension of curses, I'd be reinventing the wheel by having to implement really basic things.

To be honest, I'm figuring out what to do next right now. I have no idea what it will be.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:20:09 pm by peterix »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #1462 on: June 10, 2011, 02:18:53 pm »

For changing tile types, the only situation in which you could change an individual tile to a specific material would be to create obsidian (or ice, but that would have its own issues). In every other situation, you can only modify multiple tiles at once, whether it be a mineral vein, gem cluster, or the entire layer.

It helps to read this table and understand how the game actually deals with tile types - walls can only be made of "lava stone" (i.e. obsidian), "map feature" (adamantine or slade, depending on the map feature), "layer stone" (e.g. granite, chalk, etc., depending on the biome/layer), "mineral" (large clusters, veins, small clusters, or individual tiles), or ice (which also needs to keep track of what was underneath, otherwise it melts and turns into glitchy "Unknown").

Without allocating new memory into the game (in such a way that doesn't result in a crash then the game itself tries to deallocate it), you cannot add new mineral veins or map features.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1463 on: June 10, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »

Without allocating new memory into the game (in such a way that doesn't result in a crash then the game itself tries to deallocate it), you cannot add new mineral veins or map features.
You can sort of get by by stealing already existing objects. Like veins for example. Nobody will miss that microcline vein object #34411. It should be also possible to paint just about any type of rock by sacrificing an adamantine vein. It's kinda messy though.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 10, 2011, 07:21:05 pm »

What I find interesting is everyone asking for various things when he does this for us for free and at the expense of his time.

A little history
All of the functionality people are asking for, there is a fundamental misunderstanding with this:

DFHACK was not primarily intended as a major end user program. Rather, I understand it was originally intended as a background program to allow OTHERS to make major end user programs, aka "Tools." DFHack was the foundation for those tools and still is the foundation for many, (Tweak, Stonesense, etc).

The current situation:
In short, Petrix is the one who enables OTHER to make neat tools. What is increasingly missing now is the OTHER PEOPLE part, other programmers. I don't believe Rick has updated Tweak, the stonesense development team is kind of burned out and most of the other tool making programmers have left the scene. In fact, Petrix has posted saying he might be so nice as to help with updating stonesense too.

Edit: Crap, my tags are screwed up and most of this appears bolded. I apologize for that.

My worry:
Most of our programmers and contributors are overburdened right now, and Petrix is taking on extra duties. This guy does some great stuff for us for really nothing. Let's not ask a whole bunch of him when he's already looking into doing some extra stuff like Stonesense.

Suggestion:
Other than giving this dude a freaking metal, we could consider a casting call for programmers to help with open source code tools and modules for DF. Currently we have Petrix, Deon, Japa, Immortal_Tokel, Nixer, Javathemutt and some others, but frankly I don't even think some of the people listed above have accounts anymore.

Bottom Line
If we as a community want additional features in mods/tools, we might have to think about HOW to get and maintain them, preferably without overburdening our already very nice code contributors.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:26:48 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: June 10, 2011, 07:46:38 pm »

Truean, this is the DFHack thread. This is the place to ask for things, to see if someone wants to make a tool. This person does not have to be peterix.
Though drastically new features will require him to add additional support for something or other, and thus will give him some work to do either way.

In the end, it's a request, nothing more. If I get a 'no', I won't be offended and I doubt he or any tool makers will feel offended by the requests, as long as they are requests, not demands.
As for me, I haven't coded anything in ages, and I've only ever been a web-developer, so don't look at me!

Peterix, I'm probably being overly obvious but, Quietust suggestion of just changing the layer stone alone would already make me very happy.

Quote from: peterix
To be honest, I'm figuring out what to do next right now. I have no idea what it will be.

Whatever you decide, you'll have our gratitude. Not trying to be a suckup here, but hey, rock on dude. <3

P.S. I can't argue with your logic on naming things, so I won't. ^_^

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:37 pm »

I'm not saying people are being unreasonable to request things, I'm focusing on how to get those requests without overburdening programmers.

My focus was on getting more talent into the pool from others.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: June 10, 2011, 09:27:40 pm »

I'm not saying people are being unreasonable to request things, I'm focusing on how to get those requests without overburdening programmers.

weird thing is about changing the type of stone was done in Dtil way back, Some thing about swapping a stone with another was lost during that time when 31. series came in.
Andux who works on tweak pops in some time to help, PM him or ask him directly in this thread on if he going to work on a Vein Changer utility?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: June 10, 2011, 09:43:08 pm »

weird thing is about changing the type of stone was done in Dtil way back, Some thing about swapping a stone with another was lost during that time when 31. series came in.
Andux who works on tweak pops in some time to help, PM him or ask him directly in this thread on if he going to work on a Vein Changer utility?

Actually, that's a good point. I had forgotten that Andux was dealing with Tweak. I don't think he's updated it for 31.XX though. I could be wrong. Although, if I remember correctly, the tile changing utility was difficult to use, because a.)you had to individually edit each and every tile by going into a submenu and typing in the four digit/character reference for each type of material, b.) you could only do it one square at a time, c.) it sometimes screwed up pathing, d.) you couldn't create individual ore stone tiles (Sidenote: I love DFLiquid's new range function for magma/water/obsidian casting).

That said, it would be wonderful if Andux would be so kind as to look into this.

Great comment.

Please don't quote me.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 11, 2011, 12:28:36 am »

The source on github is only up to 0.5.14. 
Any timeline on when the 0.5.15 source will be up?
dfstatus looks interesting I would like to check it out, but no source...
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 108