Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 108

Author Topic: DFHack 0.5.15 (legacy)  (Read 400659 times)

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.5.4
« Reply #870 on: March 10, 2011, 02:56:04 pm »

Can you pause, switch mode back to the HFS-revealing mode, and use dfreveal to hide it all again before unpausing? (at least as a workaround until the unreveal code gets incorporated)
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 10, 2011, 03:06:12 pm »

yes, that's what im using
i posted the proper steps on dfusion's thread:
this is how it's done:

1 first, save your fortress as a lair using the dfusion "protect the site from item scattering" functionality
2 then run dfhack's reveal, leave it open
3 do the tricks required to swap to adventurer mode
4 fool around the world
5 return to your fortress
6 do the tricks required to swap to fortress mode
7 use runesmith to turn off the flag "is resident" on your friendly dwarves
8 before unpausing, unreveal your fortress tiles again using the reveal process you had already open

NOTE: it worked for me, but some dwarves were teleported into the unexplored depths, i haven't tried, but i suspect that if i use the fast mode of "protect the site from item scattering", only a few selected z levels are stored as a lair preventing the scattering of dwarves
also, always back up your save, it is extremely easy to screw up everything

if you do as explained it should preserve your fortress, it has worked so far, for me

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 10, 2011, 03:13:08 pm »

Btw i suspect that "protect the site from item scattering" functionality if implemented correctly in DFHack would work a lot faster. All it needs to do is flip 14-th flag in  each tile's occupancy (although it's still a lot of tiles).

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 10, 2011, 03:22:49 pm »

The idea of being able to make a grand fort, then train up a great hero and send him forth, only to have him eventually settle down and form his own community intrigues me.  It is FAR preferable to abandoning a fort after getting bored, I think.  I vote the next release should have nothing to do with anything (apart from bugfixes) except this newfound wizardry.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 10, 2011, 03:29:43 pm »

Btw i suspect that "protect the site from item scattering" functionality if implemented correctly in DFHack would work a lot faster. All it needs to do is flip 14-th flag in  each tile's occupancy (although it's still a lot of tiles).

could you make a functionality to mark only revealed tiles as lair?

and could the dfhack guys make it so dfreveal outputs a file it could load later so it could remember which tiles it was supposed to unreveal? it would be usefull if we were fooling arround the world as an adventurer but planed to return to our fortress later, or if we manage to juggle tow or tree fortresses

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #875 on: March 10, 2011, 04:14:35 pm »

Helloooo
Ah ah ah. I was writing my first post here about an error I got when trying to compile probe.cpp on linux. I was getting a link error. And I found the solution just before clicking the "Post" button. But I'm posting it anyway, so if anyone has the same error, at least he won't be looking for the solution for 1 hour, like I did (maybe I'm just stupid).
It was caused by the fact that I was compiling without the option : -ldfhack
There is no -ldfhack needed. All you have to do is build dfhack with cmake and make from the build folder, as described in the COMPILE document. I suspect you tried (and after an hour of applied masochism succeeded) to compile the indicidual tools. You don't have to do that - ever. Just copypaste a few commands from COMPILE and it does all the hard work for you.
Yep. I'll have to do a bit of research into the occupancy stuff. In 40d, it contained mostly blood splatter flags, which no longer work in 31.xx. So, the occupancy struct is outdated.
could you make a functionality to mark only revealed tiles as lair?
Good idea.
and could the dfhack guys make it so dfreveal outputs a file it could load later so it could remember which tiles it was supposed to unreveal? it would be usefull if we were fooling around the world as an adventurer but planed to return to our fortress later, or if we manage to juggle tow or tree fortresses
And another good idea. I won't do that by default tho.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:02:19 pm by peterix »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »

so did any one attempt to do this in other sites? like a lair or human fort?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 10, 2011, 05:23:40 pm »

it stops responding when i try to change to fortress mode in the wilderness, but changing mode again lets you resume adventuring... i suppose it's because it's missing the site's information, like the name of the fortress, it's relation to other civs, etc, so it isn't able to start fortress mode... human towns and lairs could work, i haven't tried

what i tried was saving and quiting and nothing funky happens:
i used reveal, possessed a dwarf, saved the game in adventurer mode, quit the game, restarted it, returned to fortress mode, and used reveal to hide the tiles again (i had left the process open), and it all worked flawlessly

next i'll try to save in the wilderness and return to the fortress to see if leaving the site changes anything

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 10, 2011, 05:30:49 pm »

Askot, your dwarvenly endeavors inspire me.  FOR !!SCIENCE!!
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 10, 2011, 06:00:38 pm »

what i tried was saving and quiting and nothing funky happens:
i used reveal, possessed a dwarf, saved the game in adventurer mode, quit the game, restarted it, returned to fortress mode, and used reveal to hide the tiles again (i had left the process open), and it all worked flawlessly

Perhaps this process could be automated for a possible two way "Fortress>Adventurer; Adventurer>Fortress" tool? It shouldn't be that difficult, right?

---

In other news, I did some experimenting on my own. I have a massive fortress where it's impossible to change into adventurer mode - as I've written, the keyboard doesn't register any keypresses, as if the game looped in the first step of adventurer mode forever. DF is responding, I can change the mode back, though it becomes very messed up and generally doesn't work.

What's strange is:
1) I let it run through the night to to avail so it definitely isn't an FPS issue.
2) On an earlier save of this fortress, changing to adventurer mode worked perfectly.

I can only assume something happened later in the game that prevented changing to adventurer mode. Possible causes (I'm just listing any differences between the saves I can think of): ongoing ambush, ghosts on the map... can't really think of anything else. Hell is revealed but an earlier save with revealed hell worked no problem. It would be really interesting to know what the real cause is.

If anyone wants to try to find the cause of the problem, here is the save. Since it is a massive succession fortress (the current SA let's play) I'd be forever indebted to anyone who makes it work so I can do crazy stuff in the succession. Please don't take this as a request, though. I'm just providing material in case anyone is interested in finding little bugs and issues.  ;)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 10, 2011, 06:16:28 pm »

trying to return to my fortress i was attacked by boogeyman, it zooms in and gives me the text "you've discovered a great magma sea", followed by "the cackling fades away"... i notice that i'm a magma crab swimming beneath the earth...
i swap to arena mode, discover my adventurer a few z levels above, possess him, return to adventuring and reach my destination... i swap to fortress mode, run reveal to hide everything again... and it crashes... then i unpause fortress mode and it runs for a minute, before it too crashed... eh, seems this might still be a bit unstable

Askot, your dwarvenly endeavors inspire me.  FOR !!SCIENCE!!

thank you, but the guys deserving praise here are darius, peterix and rumrusher

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 10, 2011, 06:31:54 pm »

Aww, no love for the one who wrote the tool and fleshed out the modes?  ;)

then i unpause fortress mode and it runs for a minute, before it too crashed...

Try saving before the crash happens and see if it still crashes after the save is reloaded. It could potentially be just a temporary memory issue.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #882 on: March 10, 2011, 06:58:00 pm »

i never tried to save my game while swaped into adventurer, anybody did? did it cause anything funny?
Yes. I assumed control of one of my militiadorfs and was able to save and reload successfully. Side effects:
  • On travelling to a nearby lair, I found myself in control of the resident night creature; my dorf was waiting on the edge of the site, so I was able to switch back (permanently) using DFusion. Immediately, the night creature attacked me, whereupon I proceeded to take my mittenfull of the deadly -bronze mace- and bash it all into its beady little skull.
  • Upon returning to my fortress, I found items and dwarves scattered about (pseudo)randomly. Inside, I also spotted a few (friendly!) goblins chilling out with my dorfs in the dining area; I recruited a pair of them and set off again.
  • Arriving at a large human town some time later, I noted that I still had "Give in to Starvation" in place of the expected retirement option.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 10, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »

Aww, no love for the one who wrote the tool and fleshed out the modes?  ;)

damn! from now on i shall carry your name in my sig to redeem my honor

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

yeah, i've had my go with save and load and it's side effects,
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:03:58 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 10, 2011, 08:55:25 pm »

i never tried to save my game while swaped into adventurer, anybody did? did it cause anything funny?
Yes. I assumed control of one of my militiadorfs and was able to save and reload successfully. Side effects:
  • On travelling to a nearby lair, I found myself in control of the resident night creature; my dorf was waiting on the edge of the site, so I was able to switch back (permanently) using DFusion. Immediately, the night creature attacked me, whereupon I proceeded to take my mittenfull of the deadly -bronze mace- and bash it all into its beady little skull.
  • Upon returning to my fortress, I found items and dwarves scattered about (pseudo)randomly. Inside, I also spotted a few (friendly!) goblins chilling out with my dorfs in the dining area; I recruited a pair of them and set off again.
  • Arriving at a large human town some time later, I noted that I still had "Give in to Starvation" in place of the expected retirement option.
so assuming control of creatures no better than Darius adventure swap or my cage variation.
so the only way to retire these Assumed. Adventurers is to go into fort mode and abandon.
Though I wonder if saving between swaps keeps the game from going bonkers and crashing. oh if you Recruit any one they will become apart of your Civ. So before swapping to fort mode recruit every one there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:50:14 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 108