Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Warlord's Bonfire Mod 2.0: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?  (Read 54501 times)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Fire on Demand! Warlord's Bonfire Mod
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2011, 10:55:40 am »

So how is it that you aquire the firewood that powers this thing?

Also, as I understand it, you have to dump the items on top of the workshop before you set it ablaze, right?

Edit: Anna third - I put the "workshop" info in "building_custom", because I couldn't find anything else that seemed right. Will that work?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:38:15 am by Mister Always »
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2011, 02:11:56 pm »

Any wood will do and is converted via reaction into the bonfire.

building_custom is fine. Putting it in it's own file (say building_bonfire.txt) with the following at the top also fine:
Code: [Select]
building_bonfire

[OBJECT:BUILDING]

--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2011, 02:21:52 pm »

Oh, okay then.

Well, just built one - now my dwarves don't want to light it. I tried building one outside, didn't get lit (maybe because it was raining...). Built one inside (behind a door!), it doesn't get lit.

What's the dealio wit dat?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2011, 02:31:07 pm »

Oh, okay then.

Well, just built one - now my dwarves don't want to light it. I tried building one outside, didn't get lit (maybe because it was raining...). Built one inside (behind a door!), it doesn't get lit.

Do any of your dwarves have the proper labors on?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2011, 02:37:51 pm »

Oh, okay then.

Do any of your dwarves have the proper labors on?

Seems they do. Just took a long-arsed while for one of them to actually get to it.

Bonfires CAN be started outside, right?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2011, 03:29:34 pm »

Indoors, it might depend on whether you built the bonfire shop out of wood or stone.
After it produces one hotmaterial-item, you might not notice anything, as on a stone floor there is no nearby grass to catch fire.

Bonus challenge: melt a glacier with bonfires.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2011, 03:43:33 pm »

If you built two bonfires and lit one, would the one next to it catch on fire too?

Because it seems like that might make that challenge trivial...except for gathering wood. 'course, there's always caverns.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »

I just burned most of a goblin siege to finely cooked goblin crisps.

I FUCKEN LOVE THIS MOD

Edit: Oh, and on another fortress I started, I brought three firewood buckets. This was not a terrifically good idea.

...well I didn't know they'd combust and set the map ablaze, leaving only the expedition leader alive because he immediatley fucked off to fish!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:15:28 pm by Mister Always »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2011, 02:34:53 am »

I've found adding    [FREQUENCY:0] has kept spring from suddenly destroying my 'good' works.

"Where's the fun in that?"

I;m already the unwanted Dark God for these... people. While Mother Nature would already loathe the air they breathe she has Elves to attack them with. Don't need sudden unexplained fires like an SUV commercial. This is Dwarf Fortress. Every Fire is perfectly explainable. A Tree dropping a leaf shouldn't set your world ablaze without a Crispy Elf next to it. Or Goblin, or or or.

Of course these... people... would Eat the Crispy Elf demand more, and toss their friend into the BBQ if they couldn't get their fill.

As for the Mod itself... nothing is quite so beautiful as a nearly perfect ring of fire spreading out from the epicenter. Nothing so Random as Magma.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2011, 07:46:06 am »

So I just found out two things:

1. Caravans can bring items made either from firewood or bonfire coal, which will be set ablaze the moment it enters the map. The caravan, however, will drop it.

2. Fire doesn't spread across ramps. This pretty much saved my map.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2011, 11:01:07 am »

Yeah I'm totally adding [SAVAGE][EVIL][FREQUENCY:0] to the firewood tree.

If you make home in a grassy cave... it's a good idea to dig "firewall" channels to section off the place in case of fire.
I hear there's a cheat: can stop the spread of bushfire by designating stockpiles.

Also: trees that grow on ramps, are immune to magma. The bastards. (but it might have been fixed by Toady since I last say trees on ramps.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:02:41 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2011, 11:23:04 am »

Yeah I'm totally adding [SAVAGE][EVIL][FREQUENCY:0] to the firewood tree.

If you make home in a grassy cave... it's a good idea to dig "firewall" channels to section off the place in case of fire.
I hear there's a cheat: can stop the spread of bushfire by designating stockpiles.

Also: trees that grow on ramps, are immune to magma. The bastards. (but it might have been fixed by Toady since I last say trees on ramps.)
Trees are immune to magma. Period.
 :'(

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2011, 01:12:27 pm »

Hey, do I have permission to use the Bonfire mod in my Dorf Space mod?

I'll give credit ;D

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2011, 07:27:20 pm »

Hey, do I have permission to use the Bonfire mod in my Dorf Space mod?

I'll give credit ;D

I'm wondering too. Good job on the mod itself!
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Carn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2011, 03:44:05 pm »

I found that placing a bonfire inside a glacier results in the floor melting away underneath it, but it simply refreezes and drops ice walls on the level below. Fun for setting goblins on fire though. Doesn't really help with getting water from glaciers, unfortunately.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8