Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Note on some utilities  (Read 53689 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Note on some utilities
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2010, 08:15:24 am »

This is the point where we all send a donation to Toady in spite of Impaler's drivel. Protect the Toad, a natural resource!
Ha ha, don't do that, not for this mess.

And then he gets like a dozen donations with a message attached: "Try and stop us".

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:28 am »

This is the point where we all send a donation to Toady in spite of Impaler's drivel. Protect the Toad, a natural resource!
Ha ha, don't do that, not for this mess.

And then he gets like a dozen donations with a message attached: "Try and stop us".

Soon Toady is rolling around in money, unable to stop it flooding into his bank account.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2010, 08:41:49 am »

Toady suddenly being flooded by a sea of money is a pretty hilarious image.

But, uh, I digress.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:55 am »

Toady has cancelled bug-fixing: Dangerous terrain.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2010, 10:49:01 am »

The crappy comments from Impaler seem to be along the lines of, if you keep giving Toady money he won't fix the UI, which does seem to be an accurate statement but terribly mean-spirited.

Well, reall shame here is that he chose jerk-approach to solving gui instead of trying to cooperate and help. Graphics Engine rewrite was good example of positive approach to issues.

But well, I am not afraid for Khazad, It will likely end up like many projects of such huge ambition: Once easy and fun bits are done, it will halt.

This thing, I did not say. Please correct it, as it was frightlever.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2010, 10:56:17 am »

Toady suddenly being flooded by a sea of money is a pretty hilarious image.

But, uh, I digress.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2010, 11:25:19 am »

The crappy comments from Impaler seem to be along the lines of, if you keep giving Toady money he won't fix the UI, which does seem to be an accurate statement but terribly mean-spirited.

its not that, its just that the UI takes a much lesser priority than actually getting the game working. once the game is working then the UI can be tweaked around that.

its basicly the blizzard approach of "When its done".
I keep seeing this argument, and it does have validity.  A fully finished UI would be impossible to do.  But I do think that Toady could still improve the UI in a modular fashion and also test out new UI design ideas while doing other bits of the game as well.  Figuring out what works well with the game's interface is a pretty important step, and a lot of that could be done now with minimal wasted work (and it would make the game much more attractive to newcomers and a good bit to old standbys.) 
I do see 40d# as a good step in this regard, and as evidence as to what further interface optimization could do.  But they don't affect the game's playability that much aside from FPS increases.

That being said, this project does hinge around Toady's motivation, and he's the best judge of that.  I am happy with the way things are going - not perfectly, but I'm confident it'll get done or at least get very far in its unique goals.  If he prefers to wait until more elements are in the game to redesign the UI, I respect that.  Thanks again, Toady, for making this game (even though I tend to criticize it pretty heavily.)

About DF clones... that's pretty ludicrous.  I think it'll take at least a year or two to get the core DF Fortress mode experience in a non-randomly generated setting, and, as the game's systems become more and more integrated with eachother, that number will skyrocket as the experience becomes richer.  Multiple programmers could help, but not as much as they would in most games; so many of the systems are interwoven, unconventional and finicky enough that a lot more effort than par would be spent in understanding the code the other guy wrote.  These problems are compounded with the potential of having the community you're leeching off of hating your guts, as well.

As for the Blizzard mention, the UI (and ease of play) is much more a priority in their games than Toady's even in Blizzard's beta.  Not the same boat at all.  Toady's more interested in creating something new while keeping it moderately playable while everything else is crammed in.  Toady's approach is very good for adding in lots of stuff as he needs to do, but it's a large price to pay when people want to have fun with the game they're playing right now (not to mention its problems attracting in new players.)  Blizzard pops out its betas with a lot of polish and most of the core ideas already in place.  The comparison doesn't make sense when referencing either the UI or the very different development philosophies (and Toady simply can't use Blizzard's, as his funding is dependent on how much players *currently* enjoy his game.)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2010, 12:59:41 pm »

The one lesson I'm getting from all this is that it's probably time for some major UI improvements. UI improvements are pretty high up in the eternal suggestion voting list, to boot.

It is getting kinda critical. The new military menus especially might've ended up pushing the game over the edge into unplayability for me (though it's hard to tell whether the problems are the UI or the bugs).

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2010, 01:04:10 pm »

But I do think that Toady could still improve the UI in a modular fashion and also test out new UI design ideas while doing other bits of the game as well.  Figuring out what works well with the game's interface is a pretty important step, and a lot of that could be done now with minimal wasted work (and it would make the game much more attractive to newcomers and a good bit to old standbys.) 
I do see 40d# as a good step in this regard, and as evidence as to what further interface optimization could do.  But they don't affect the game's playability that much aside from FPS increases.

My favorite example in 0.31:  The new non-pausing squad orders menu. Unlike 'v', 't', 'q', 'p', and 'i', the new 's' allows the game to continue running while you use it. This would be nice to have everywhere, but who knows if it would be usable or stable immediately, so I speculate that Dr. Adams decided to treat the squad menu as a test case, since he had to write it from scratch this release anyway. (Is it too optimistic to wonder whether the spacebar was removed as the default screen-exit key in preparation for making it available as pause/unpause in more places?) And there's the military orders grid; imagine being able to copy and paste the civilian equivalent of "orders" (i.e., activated labors) among "squads" of your farmers and crafters. So it does appear that each new addition to the UI brings new experiments, rather than merely copying forward the old way.

In the April "omg bugz" threads about the new release, it was pointed out that the 0.31 release is 31% feature-complete. The meaning of this didn't sink in for me until several bug reports highlighted the sheer depth of the new materials system. Dwarf Fortress went from an eccentric, if not particularly novel, rock-paper-scissors RPG-style combat simulation to one in which it matters whether and how teeth are harder than skin (and that represents 3% of the long-term vision). For me, this puts the milk/cheese thread in perspective. It's not that small problems were being ignored to work on bigger "issues"; rather, entirely new broad vistas are being opened that reveal the small "problems" as jagged edges of the incompleteness of the older simulation.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2010, 01:32:42 pm »

Quote from: Impaler[WrG] on October 07, 2009, 03:42:56 pm

My deep concern is that DF is going down an unsustainable path, its turning into an epic-Mad-Libs generator.  The interface is literally a form of abuse and it pains me to see it inflicted upon people.  Thus I really think I'm saving the DF concept from it current implementation and misguided creator.  I know that sounds heretical given the absolutely sycophantic worship that the rule on the forums, but frankly I think I can do better.

Having absolutely nothing to do with the DF UI or Impaler's "points" about it, let's address claims of extreme awesomeness.

Ah, the dickish, impudent hubris of youth. I mean.. i have to believe this is a kid. These kinds of wet-behind-the-ears fey-devs are a dime a dozen. If they didn't have someone else's good ideas and hard work to present as their own they might actually have to do something original and find out just how good they really are.

Impaler, i'm sure you think you're quite gifted, but what you probably don't know is that you are also a garden-variety idiot. I'm so looking forward to checking out your new game when you make it - that is, if you actually have an original project...oh wait that's right, you don't.

This chump is easily dismissed. You find half-assed dev's like this everywhere in the software biz. Chalk it up to occupational hazard.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2010, 01:49:38 pm »

In my cursory search I found him ragging on the UI, and how the game ultimately suffers and ruined by it, and he referred to bay12'er as sycophants.
That's because most of you are. Not that that justifies his theft.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2010, 01:58:09 pm »

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and hey here's an idea, if you don't like the game, don't play it? 
Go write my own perfect game?
Shove a live turkey up my ass?
There are so many options for all of us outside of DF. Really!

He is only using that word as a diminutive to make his opinions sound like an argument, which they are not. QQ nubImpaler.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2010, 02:03:12 pm »

Ah, the dickish, impudent hubris of youth. I mean.. i have to believe this is a kid. These kinds of wet-behind-the-ears fey-devs are a dime a dozen. If they didn't have someone else's good ideas and hard work to present as their own they might actually have to do something original and find out just how good they really are.

Impaler, i'm sure you think you're quite gifted, but what you probably don't know is that you are also a garden-variety idiot. I'm so looking forward to checking out your new game when you make it - that is, if you actually have an original project...oh wait that's right, you don't.

This chump is easily dismissed. You find half-assed dev's like this everywhere in the software biz. Chalk it up to occupational hazard.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and hey here's an idea, if you don't like the game, don't play it? 
Go write my own perfect game?
Shove a live turkey up my ass?
There are so many options for all of us outside of DF. Really!

He is only using that word as a diminutive to make his opinions sound like an argument, which they are not. QQ nubImpaler.

You're significantly lowering the level of discourse in this thread.  Keep it classy, please.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2010, 02:24:05 pm »

DF does and will continue to influence future games, and if someone wants to use it to inform their game design in some ways I think that makes DF even more valuable to them. I think it's totally out of line to suggest that DF should not be supported. Especially if you like DF enough to dream of cloning it, you have to respect the shoulders you are standing on.

I don't think anything like this would be a threat to DF's support. It's Tarn's vision that makes DF what it is, and even if some big game developer were to ripoff DF exactly today along with a super cool interface, the two versions would diverge from here on out and it's unlikely that the clone would have that 'spark' that brings us all here.

I don't think theres a better way to make DF than a slow, deliberate process, where everything is examined over months and years. There's no game that could be made that would stop me from coming back here from time to time and forking over a donation. There will always be something new here that won't be available anywhere else.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2010, 02:30:02 pm »

Well said, cephalo.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23