Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12198 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2010, 05:24:59 am »

6) I'll just do that once he comes online.

You should, he dislikes the book quite a bit. ;)

Woah, hey, I'm not the foremost authority on anything Bible related. I just read it every now and then.

But remember that bit at the end of Job where Job (fairly) complains to God about God ruining his life, killing his family (does life really not matter that much, author? Really? I mean, I'd get it if it was the "smite the enemies of God" bit but really. I mean, really. Even the bald-bear-batshit disaster was justified (in a not-justified-in-the-slightest way) but really? REALLY?) and basically turning him into a husk of the man he once was for no reason other than the devil dared him to and God responds by showing him how well he made a bull. And Job accepts this as a reasonable argument. It's like, the author is sitting there thinking "how can I end this brilliant story? Wait! I've got it! DICK WAVING."

Whoever wrote the Book of Job was a bit of an ass or a brilliant troll.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2010, 05:36:35 am »

That's actually what Nikov was quoting earlier. Technically, God told Job, "Dude, you weren't around when I made the world, or divided the firmament, or made your ancestors, so deal with it."

Also, here's my favourite reading of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPg3kjKBRc
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2010, 05:41:16 am »

Like I said before, I see no great divide in personality of Yahweh's character within Job from any other book of the Bible. I also feel the need to note that Job's new wife and children are implied to be totaly differant people than his original family. Kind of creepy, that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2010, 05:47:07 am »

Like I said before, I see no great divide in personality of Yahweh's character within Job from any other book of the Bible. I also feel the need to note that Job's new wife and children are implied to be totaly differant people than his original family. Kind of creepy, that.

Not his character - Old Testament God is pretty much consistent for the whole, well, Old Testament. The book itself stands out as different.

And yeah, he got a new wife and kids. OTG wasn't doing any resurrections; that was more of Jesus' portfolio. Besides, this is the early middle east, wives and children are pretty much just property.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2010, 05:48:13 am »

That's actually what Nikov was quoting earlier. Technically, God told Job, "Dude, you weren't around when I made the world, or divided the firmament, or made your ancestors, so deal with it."

Oh, I get it now. I don't have the book down to memory, just parts of it.

Seriously though, the fact that the whole rebuttal is God telling Job that he just has to deal is the worst bit.

Here's why, out of all the... other things in the Bible, I hate the Book of Job so much. It's because some people need the presence of a God in their lives, because the concept of oblivion terrifies them. This is not the only reason I believe in God. But it is one of them. Should the Book of Job actually be true (I don't believe so), should God actually be like that, then God isn't my God anymore. He's a giant, uncaring thing. He's a presences, a soulless thing that just doesn't care. He's not evil. He's not good. He's something that's willing to kill a person's family, destroy that person financially and drive that person to ruin because He made a bet with the Devil, and He thinks Himself justified because He made us and, evidently, has no reason to care about us at all. Everything I've achieved, everything humanity has a ever achieved, the life of a person and everything connected to it, all amounts to nothing in the face of a God who just doesn't care. Because hey, He can always make more, right? I mean, He gave Job a new family. He can just recreate the world, and screw everyone who came before. So it's all good.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2010, 05:51:58 am »

You know, now that you put it like that, I find the Book of Job to be eerily reminiscent of "It's a good life"
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:55:25 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2010, 05:54:33 am »

See, starting at: "A giant, uncaring thing." that was the exact concusion I came to about the christan god after re-reading the Bible during a crisis of faith. Not entirely why I abandoned religion, but a part of it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2010, 06:03:23 am »

Oh, I get it now. I don't have the book down to memory, just parts of it.

Seriously though, the fact that the whole rebuttal is God telling Job that he just has to deal is the worst bit.

Here's why, out of all the... other things in the Bible, I hate the Book of Job so much. It's because some people need the presence of a God in their lives, because the concept of oblivion terrifies them. This is not the only reason I believe in God. But it is one of them. Should the Book of Job actually be true (I don't believe so), should God actually be like that, then God isn't my God anymore. He's a giant, uncaring thing. He's a presences, a soulless thing that just doesn't care. He's not evil. He's not good. He's something that's willing to kill a person's family, destroy that person financially and drive that person to ruin because He made a bet with the Devil, and He thinks Himself justified because He made us and, evidently, has no reason to care about us at all. Everything I've achieved, everything humanity has a ever achieved, the life of a person and everything connected to it, all amounts to nothing in the face of a God who just doesn't care. Because hey, He can always make more, right? I mean, He gave Job a new family. He can just recreate the world, and screw everyone who came before. So it's all good.

Aw, come on Jack. :-\ In Job, Yahweh and Satan occupy specific archetypal positions - they're almost like Zeus and Hermes. This Satan is the primeval force of evil the fundies like to tout, he's more of a Gandalf who happens to be best friends with God.

(Also, the whole "deal with it" thing is apparently part of the test. God's making fun of him to his face, Job still doesn't turn away, so he passes and gets his life back.)

EDIT: Though they do pull some heinous stuff during the book.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2010, 06:11:37 am »

Like I said. I am in no way any sort of scholar and I am pulling what I say out of my ass. I could very well be wrong, I've never closely studied it. It's just how I see the whole fiasco.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2010, 07:15:37 am »

That's pretty much using the old testament to deter the new testament.
I know that some Christian are using religious excuses to justify their selfishness or to justify inhumane system.
I just point it is totally against Jesus' message.

No I you excuse me, I have to study for my last exam in my publicly funded University, while Nikov is mowing his relatives's lawn to earn a bit of money.

Well I know which one I prefer to be.
And which one is going to be taxed anyway.

Edit : Not a personal attack, my parent are able to pay my education because of the social policies of my country.
He would be able to get a free formation, to take free English courses if he's unemployed here, beside his unemployment fee.
And of course, in return, once he worked at higher wage thank to it's formation, he would repay that in taxes.
And help everyone else too.
Except of course if he is still in high school, but it's not the case I think.
I was just pointing out he is advocating policies that are against his interest.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:27:26 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2010, 07:17:41 am »

Considering that I know for a fact that my daily (part-time) wage at McDonalds is less than the American and Canadian minimum hourly wage, both of you have it pretty well off.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2010, 07:22:17 am »

Wait, when were personal attacks authorized? I don't recall getting the memo on that. Why was I not told!?
No Gods, No Masters.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2010, 07:23:41 am »

Wait, when were personal attacks authorized? I don't recall getting the memo on that. Why was I not told!?

MSH is right, Phmcw. Kind of a dickish move, right there.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2010, 02:30:13 pm »

Considering that I know for a fact that my daily (part-time) wage at McDonalds is less than the American and Canadian minimum hourly wage, both of you have it pretty well off.

You could probably make the case that you're able to afford more of your basic needs with less in the Philippines, but that wouldn't do you much for luxuries like the computer you're typing on.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2010, 04:49:58 pm »

At the Mickey D's you're working at, would the OH US $1 Mcdouble cost around 25 cents, or is it still a dollar?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18