Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12245 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2010, 07:29:57 am »

Oh my God, I actually cannot stop laughing.

I think I love you.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2010, 07:36:17 am »

That was great, I haven't laughed like that since I first saw the "I am The Milkman" scene
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2010, 07:47:51 am »

That's what I think he means, though if your eyes are somewhere other than on your face, they wouldn't be as receptive and couldn't be processed as fast. I guess your physical perspective of the world would change, as I'd guess you normally 'anchor' yourself at where your face is.

Our eyes are attached directly to the brain, and we still require a mental compensation system to make the resulting images show up without lag. Eye hands are just silly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2010, 02:54:15 pm »

Wow. God. I need to go pee now.

But for real, wasn't there a thread like I described? I could have sworn...

I thought it was in the mutations thread but I cant find it there.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2010, 04:50:56 pm »

Hypothetical situation.

Let's say that we have a surgeon. The best surgeon in the world. Good enough that his being at work every day unquestionably saves lives every day that he's there.

Does this surgeon have the right to the right to take a vacation?
The right to retire?

But what if by *not* doing those things, he'll push himself to exhaustion or a heart attack?

Do we have an obligation to self-sacrifice, even if it's obviously for the greater good? At what point, during a good life, has one earned rest, not having to worry about the world anymore?
This would mean that all soldiers on this earth should go with vacation.

I believe that a person's rights are intertwined with the social pressure here. Which is wrong. This person is a person just as the persons he operates on. If we have too many patients for him then we just have to pump more money into healthcare so that there will be more doctors.
 He deserves the right to live just as the people under his knife. The fact that he already sacrifices a large part of his life to saving others (around 40 hour workweek is nothing, surgeons are on 24/7 callservice, they are already simply the most busy people I know) is more then we should expect of a human.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2010, 08:07:05 am »

That sounds familiar as well, anyone got a link to that conversation?

Here you go. (about a week late, no less)

I can feel through arms on my eyeballs, it's not that hard, tactile rendering is sometimes easier than visual for many things even.

EDIT

Although, reading through that thread it turns out that there was a lot of interesting discussion going on in there. It just got obscured in the eyearm confusion.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:11:44 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2010, 02:19:20 pm »

BTW: I was thinking: isn't it a bit paradoxical to argue that leisure time shouldn't exist in a gaming message board?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2010, 08:11:42 pm »

It is relevant...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 17, 2010, 08:14:53 pm »

Here you go.

Thanks, now I feel bad for Armok though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2010, 01:29:12 am »

Here you go.

Thanks, now I feel bad for Armok though.

Yeah, that's common for people who don't really know him.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2010, 09:49:04 am »

On the hypothetical situation:

So the surgeon has a right to go on a vacation, but does he have the right to stop doing life saving surgeries and just do boob jobs and other plastic surgeries?  Because if he does, he will make a boatload more money but the people would have operated on might die under less skillful hands.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2010, 11:51:26 am »

On the hypothetical situation:

So the surgeon has a right to go on a vacation, but does he have the right to stop doing life saving surgeries and just do boob jobs and other plastic surgeries?  Because if he does, he will make a boatload more money but the people would have operated on might die under less skillful hands.

Hypothetically, he can get his normal surgeon license revoked and later get one for plastic and/or boob.  Or even try to later get reinstated after a long vacation.  It really depends on how much money the surgeon has saved up and spending habits to weather the transition period.  Likely wold have to take some courses again?

Surgery comprises a lot of different fields.  Heart, brain, whatever.  Doctors/surgeons tend to specialize in 1 or 2 categories.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2010, 12:40:08 pm »

I say he should be free to take vacations or work to death depending on his personal answer to this question.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 18, 2010, 12:47:09 pm »

Hypothetically, he can get his normal surgeon license revoked and later get one for plastic and/or boob.
Uh, no he cant. It's a different speciality
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 18, 2010, 01:11:18 pm »

Hypothetically, he can get his normal surgeon license revoked and later get one for plastic and/or boob.
Uh, no he cant. It's a different speciality
*Insert going to university again to learn how to put plastic on people and enhancing boobs 'safely'.*

Then go to South America and set-up shop. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18