Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12263 times)

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2010, 02:49:26 pm »

Every response here is weird. It's his damn job, he does that for a living, during the time he want according to how he want to get paid. There isn't a lack of surgeon in my country , so he could work twice as much, that wouldn't change anything.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2010, 03:10:04 pm »

Also, never tell the airliner or anyone that you are a doctor of any sort when on vacation. 
Being expected to do stuff sucks, it gives a better feeling when you point it out yourself instead of someone else pointing you out.

Airlines are utterly parinoid. They demand records on all of their passengers that are inclucive enough to see that your name has the prefix of "Dr.". This dosen't prove you're a medical doctor, but if they ask you (and they will), lying to them about your PhD is a crime. Not the lying iself being a crime, but denial of aid through said lie.
Never give out the Dr. prefix then?  Just leave it blank?
The less info you give to begin with... the less likely you are to get into that situation?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2010, 03:11:20 pm »

I'll attach so many prefixes they will have no clue what I do. Private Doctor General Admiral the 3rd? Hell yes.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2010, 03:12:38 pm »

Never give out the Dr. prefix then?  Just leave it blank?
The less info you give to begin with... the less likely you are to get into that situation?

If you don't fill out your forms, then as far as the FAA is concerned you are a TERRORIST and will be forced into a body cavity search, followed by not letting you on the plane at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »

That's when you go by the alias Dr. Patient or Pvt. Public
(To avoid necroing the puns thread)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »

You know, I don't know much about the whole 'obligated to help even when off duty thing' but in plenty of cases I don't think it would matter much. Most doctors become doctors to help people, to be able to save lives even when they're supposed to be relaxing.

Case in point: a friend of mine is a paramedic. He was on his way to work (but officially off duty until he got there) driving along the freeway when a car (and I'm rather fuzzy on the details) basically got shunted 30 feet through the air and landed on its head, causing a pile up. So he blocks off all the traffic near the car with his car (luckily he had his uniform on by then), called the ambulance and spent the entire time until it arrived helping the wounded.

He could have just driven on but he had the skills to save lives that were in danger not 30 feet away and I know that there is no way in hell he could have brought himself not to do it.

On an unrelated matter: Armok, I am sick to death of your ridiculousness, your desperate attempts to prevent being anything but socially inept and your inability to defend anything you say outside of 'I'm right and you're wrong okay?'.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself unable to talk to me anymore because Goddamn do I not want to talk to you.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:28:58 pm by Jackrabbit »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 03:31:24 pm »

My uncle and two cousins definitely aren't in it for helping people. I love them dearly, but they can be asses. They are in it for cash, through and through.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:41 pm »

Only 12% of applicants get into med school (in Canada, anyways), so you have to be pretty awesome to start with.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 03:42:50 pm »

My uncle and two cousins definitely aren't in it for helping people. I love them dearly, but they can be asses. They are in it for cash, through and through.
A lot of parents encourage their kids to become doctors.  Not so they can be good peoples, but its got good public perception to it...

Only 12% of applicants get into med school (in Canada, anyways), so you have to be pretty awesome to start with.
Awesome has nothing to do with intent.  :P
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 03:43:37 pm »

Well, I have a couple of friends who want to be doctors.

They have am strong morality, I think.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2010, 03:52:08 pm »

The Crow (Haida mythological figure, not the guy portrayed by John Connor) had poor intent every time, and he kept saving the world! Awesome trumps intent!

No. He cannot take a break, ignoring it actually impairing his ability to work. Ivn then, he cant take more than the exact minimum calculated to keep him from collapsing.

And neither can you. Everyone here who does not send all their efforts on making the world a better place, are murderers.Yes, that includes YOU. Make up all the rationalizations you want, you CAN make a difference, it might no help to just throw money around you randomly, but there ARE charities that actually work, and a few hours of research will find them. There are a myriad things you can do to save lives and prevent suffering, and evry thing that comes to pass because of your inaction or ignorance is exactly equally as much your fault as if you had done it cold-bloodedly and with your bare hands.

You people are killing others out of laziness and convenience, and trying to convince others to do the same. **** you.

I think the question "What do you do, exactly, Armok?" has been asked various times. If not, answer it!

You would do more harm by sticking your nose in everywhere and just being inept than you would by staying home and posting on a forum. If charity is what it's all about, why don't you get a job and donate every dime to charitable causes? After all, you don't need the money, because you live with your parents. Not making an income for an African child is immoral, though. You'll even develop social skills! The first time I got to second base (Or is it third base? The one that involves blowjobs) was with a girl I worked with in high school. YMMV, but I never got any sexual favours out of my time spent on forums.

And having sex as soon as possible is important. Every time you're not having sex, thousand of half-people are dying in your testicles. You need to propagate AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, or they will die a blistery, horrible death. According to the Miracle of Life video, the other sperm will TEAR IT TO PIECES AND CONSUME IT. Is that what you want for your children?

Just think about the poor egg, not suspecting that it will soon be flushed into a sewage system. Doesn't it deserve a chance?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:04 pm »

There are far better/easier ways than medical school to earn tons of money. Granted, in certain places (the US comes to mind) doctors can earn hugely bloated salaries, but it's not easy getting there. Otherwise you will get good earnings, but not crazy rockefellian ones. I think that all guards added in, a resident can make around 1800 € a month, give or take 200. Which, granted, is not bad,  for a resident, but it's not all that extraordinary either.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »

Hypothetical situation.

Let's say that we have a surgeon. The best surgeon in the world. Good enough that his being at work every day unquestionably saves lives every day that he's there.

Does this surgeon have the right to the right to take a vacation?
The right to retire?

But what if by *not* doing those things, he'll push himself to exhaustion or a heart attack?

Do we have an obligation to seslf-sacrifice, even if it's obviously for the greater good? At what point, during a good life, has one earned rest, not having to worry about the world anymore?

A while ago some friends and I were thinking about what superpowers we'd like, and I decided that all in all, even though super speed or invisibility would rule, I'd pick the power to cure any sickness or wounds in myself or others at will. Then I basically thought of this dilemma. If you can magically heal everyone's ills, when can you ever rest?

But I don't think it's ultimately that different from a normal person's life. We all have the potential to make the world better in some way but most of us don't spend the bulk of our time doing that. but nobody holds you responsible for doing things other than plant trees, teach illiterate kids to read and nurse injured puppies back to health.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »

I'd like the ability to stop time and teleport but maybe that's just me.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2010, 04:34:47 pm »

I'd take whatever i believes becomes true.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18