Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12259 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 01:38:01 pm »

Flight Attendent: "Our records show you as a doctor. A man in second class needs surgery, now!"

Vatcationing Doctor: "And whom will be paying for said surgery?"

Flight Attendent: "Pay? What kind of horrid person are you?! You must help under the Hippocratic Oath! Now go!"

Vatcationing Doctor: "Oh, I must help for free? Well fuck you then. I'm going back to sleep."

Denial of aid. You'd likely be liable, at the very least get sanctioned, and might actually go to prison.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 01:44:48 pm »

Denial of aid. You'd likely be liable, at the very least get sanctioned, and might actually go to prison.

Just because somthing is illegal dosen't make it wrong. The OP clearly wanted to know if we think someone is in the right when they take time away from their life-saving services.

On the other hand, if the surgeon were to be legaly forced into a pro bono surgery and knows it, then it is entirely possible that the patient's surgery would go "tragicly wrong". ....I don't think I should ever be a doctor.

Having laws that require you to help everyone around you at your own expense is not a good way to attract them to the field.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 01:48:14 pm »

I'd tell them to screw off if I were the surgeon. An ex-soldier isn't required by law to run into gunfire if there is a robbery somewhere. I'm not getting paid for helping them and I'll still have some degree of liability I assume. They would basically want me to risk my neck helping someone I care nothing about for no benefit at all.

Actually, according to Good Samaritan laws, there isn't any liability if one is trying to save someone's life in good faith.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 02:04:59 pm »

I have the perfect defence!

"I'm not a doctor, I'm a surgeon! Leave me alone!"

Sadly sometimes that proves to be true...  :P

And yes, from denial of aid you are obliged to help people if need arises. However most often it sums up to the basic CPR and other first-aid stuff until the ambulance arrive. This stuff most doctors obligatorially have in their course. It takes balls (and lots of skill) to try and do an heroic cricotireiodostomy with a pen without killing the person.

And most of the time nowadays unless the problem is fixable with a good helmich maneouver, a tourniquet (but it doesn't take six years of medschool to know how to apply one) or RCP until the damn defibrilator arrives a doctor can't really do much other than calm the person.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 02:06:43 pm »

>:(
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Pathos

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2010, 02:11:43 pm »

We all apologise for telling you the truth. We won't do it again.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2010, 02:17:17 pm »

This is to witty comebacks what Uwe Boll is to good cinema.

Blade_Train3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2010, 02:18:14 pm »

We all apologise for telling you the truth. We won't do it again.

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

Help Miqo grow!

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Groovedbells

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2010, 02:18:45 pm »

Flight Attendent: "Our records show you as a doctor. A man in second class needs surgery, now!"

Vatcationing Doctor: "And whom will be paying for said surgery?"

Flight Attendent: "Pay? What kind of horrid person are you?! You must help under the Hippocratic Oath! Now go!"

Vatcationing Doctor: "Oh, I must help for free? Well fuck you then. I'm going back to sleep."

Can't the doctor ask to be....  free of any and all liability related to the event at least? 
A simple fill out form beginning with...

"I understand that Dr. Doom is helping me/my loved one while he/she is on vacation.  I absolve Dr. Doom of any and all liability relating to the medical care provided me/my loved one on this ___ day of _____, ____."

Just hand it to the patient or a relative, don't say anything, go about your business of taking care of the patient.  If someone gets angry over it, just stop working. 
"Please sir/maam, do you think it advisable that we spend time arguing while you are/your friend is in need of help?"

Its a round-a-bout guilt trip way of getting people to sign it...  Also, no 'coercion'.  Do it all calmly for bonus points.

Also, never tell the airliner or anyone that you are a doctor of any sort when on vacation. 
Being expected to do stuff sucks, it gives a better feeling when you point it out yourself instead of someone else pointing you out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2010, 02:18:54 pm »

Actually, according to Good Samaritan laws, there isn't any liability if one is trying to save someone's life in good faith.

I'd like to know a little more on the Good Sam laws. I could be totally wrong, but many older people I know say you could be charged if you help someone with a back injury and end up causing damage, even in good faith. You are still liable for anything you do. I can't cite my stuff, but if you can site yours, I'll gladly believe it.

A friend got upset because we called an ambulance when she had a seizure. If we wouldn't have, the library we were at would have obligatorily called one in. Its not like we would just let her drop and writhe, and just carry on like nothing is happening.

Edit: I'm not an evil bastard, but I play one on TV
Double Edit: Do Accountants have an obligatory clause to do emergency number-crunching if it would directly save people's lives?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:21:35 pm by smigenboger »
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2010, 02:22:43 pm »

*snip*
Double Edit: Do Accountants have an obligatory clause to do emergency number-crunching if it would directly save people's lives?
Anyone with a cell phone now-a-days have a calculator.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2010, 02:36:43 pm »

So not comeback? No explaining why we are wrong? No defending yourself? Just >:(?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Pathos

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »

Anyway, guys, stop bullying Armok or I might get all the blame for it again.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2010, 02:39:58 pm »

This is a case where am has strong sense of morality and philosophy cannot be expressed through eye arms.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2010, 02:40:25 pm »

Also, never tell the airliner or anyone that you are a doctor of any sort when on vacation. 
Being expected to do stuff sucks, it gives a better feeling when you point it out yourself instead of someone else pointing you out.

Airlines are utterly parinoid. They demand records on all of their passengers that are inclucive enough to see that your name has the prefix of "Dr.". This dosen't prove you're a medical doctor, but if they ask you (and they will), lying to them about your PhD is a crime. Not the lying iself being a crime, but denial of aid through said lie.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18