Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12206 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pondering on duty.
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:11:49 am »

Hypothetical situation.

Let's say that we have a surgeon. The best surgeon in the world. Good enough that his being at work every day unquestionably saves lives every day that he's there.

Does this surgeon have the right to the right to take a vacation?
The right to retire?

But what if by *not* doing those things, he'll push himself to exhaustion or a heart attack?

Do we have an obligation to seslf-sacrifice, even if it's obviously for the greater good? At what point, during a good life, has one earned rest, not having to worry about the world anymore?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:20:41 am »

When does he have the right to take a vacation? Whenever he damn well pleases. Dude saves lives every day. Does that make him less deserving of a break than someone who contributes nothing meaningful to society? Not in my ethical model.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:24:02 am »

It's morally correct to let him take breaks, anyways, since the number of people who would die if he collapsed from exhaustion or had a heart attack would far outweigh the number of people who die while he's in the Bahamas.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:29:44 am »

If you want to ask that, think about how many potential lives you've destroyed by not donating time and money to them. Just about any material goods you've purchased have promoted sketchy business practices with impoverished people. In many areas, donating food further destroys the livelihood of the areas' farmers ability to financially survive. There's the possibility the food will only allow them to continue their meager, sufferable existance for another few months. If they are barely surviving and you promote them being in a position where they have children, there will be more mouths to feed later, making the problem worse. By advancing medical technology, people will live longer and overpopulation will come sooner, or would be stifled at the price of more people suffering.

If the surgeon saves the lives of an American soldier, and the average K/D ratio for the enemy is, say, 6:1, then you are saving an American life at the price of six other ones. But if you let that American die, the war will drag on that much longer, adding to the death toll.

In terms of environmentalism, it you may be better off for the environment if you simply didn't exist, unless you have a net output of resources higher than you take in, but then you are only specializing in which environmental disaster you are allieviating.

Although your contributions may be minute, think about how even drinking a Coke is vaguely supporting the oppression of Brazilian worker's rights and unions, and switching to another soft drink would only make those problems change location.

There are no easy, one-dimensional choices when it comes to these things. If you donate to giving people higher education, you vaguely also help to oppress those who either didn't have that option or chose not to. Now, are you really going to burden yourself with the repercussions of your actions?

Edit: Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'll wholeheartedly listen.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:33:44 am by smigenboger »
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:33:20 am »

It seemed to me that this was a question of very basic morality, and we should assume an enclosed situation, instead of trying to ask ourselves more questions about the situation.

CAIN DOESN'T GET TO PONDER OVER WHETHER THE OTHER SHIPS WILL BE ABLE TO FEND OFF THE CYLONS BEFORE SHE MAKES HER CHOICE ON WHETHER OR NOT TO JUMP, AFTER ALL
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:54:41 am »

Of course he can take a break.  He can go on vacation if he wants.  Hell, if he wants to retire and draw pictures of naked women, he can do whatever he wants.
Shoes...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:55:14 am »

He should draw pictures of naked women and do surgery at the same time.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:56:26 am »

Hopefully not the same women he does surgery on. That'd be a little weird.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 01:15:11 am »

Everyone needs a time to leave their professional lives behind, even for a little while. No one would work themselves to death of their own will, unless not working was certain death. If a professional is forced to work themselves to death, then they will develop great hatred for whatever system sentenced them to this fate. Just look at the actions of death row prisoners. But instead of trying to kill guards and smuggle drugs inside the prison, a vengeful surgeon would cause harm to their patients through their work. Not the best outcome.

The Greater Good presents an issue. If the happiness and wellbeing of the whole is valued over that of the individual, then the individual will not be happy. At best they will be grudgingly content. At worst they will be consumed by hate for the greather good. Thus, there is no real happiness in such a system. It isn't coincidence that a certain race from the darkest media representation of evil vs. evil is obsessed with the Greater Good.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:41 am »

deathrow prisoners aren't actually well known for doing crazy shit AFTER they end up in death row

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:24:13 am »

deathrow prisoners aren't actually well known for doing crazy shit AFTER they end up in death row

Really? Well, I do know that those with life-sentences will do crazy shit. As they are essentially sentenced to a more long-term death penalty, I think my analogy still applies.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 01:34:04 am »

a vengeful surgeon would cause harm to their patients through their work
More likely exhaustion would settle in and he would begin to commit mistakes.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 02:06:22 am »

Really? Well, I do know that those with life-sentences will do crazy shit. As they are essentially sentenced to a more long-term death penalty, I think my analogy still applies.

Yeah, citation needed.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:22:28 am »

Yeah, citation needed.

Sadly, I am unable to find any formal studies on this. My information comes from the National Geograpic documentary "Inside Maximum Security". Episodes are on Youtube.
No Gods, No Masters.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 02:39:26 am »

Morally I say he deserves it. He does more for the greater good than the average person in their job. Also if he falls asleep cutting up a patient it wouldn't do much good

The individual is pretty damn important too. As someone else said, if everyone worked toward the greater good at their own expense, then nobody would be happy. Oh the irony.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18