Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Pondering on duty.  (Read 12262 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering on duty.
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2010, 10:58:43 pm »

So: If you had to pick a theme/motif for all your powers to be focused around, what would it be? Assume that if you can't justify a power via maotif association (ie. sand manipulation could give you shape-shifting and invulnerability but not super speed) I'd choose electricity, though I'd want it to be blue-tinted rather than yellow. Bundled up with the whole lightning bolt shooting stuff I could get flight out of that as well, or maybe boosted-jumps. And contact damage.

Smoke. Intangibility, flight, obfuscation, suffocation, and a thematic excuse to smoke cigars and look totally badass at all times.

As for a singular superpower, Healing Factor. I could skydive without a parachute and wrestle sharks and all sorts of cool shit. It's not like I'd be out there fighting Nuclear Man or anything. I just want to know what it feels like to streak a sports event on fire.

Actually, that sort of brings this derail FULL CIRCLE. If you had an improbable superpower, would it be YOUR DUTY to use it to help people? With great power, and all that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:02:47 pm by kinseti »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2010, 11:06:22 pm »

Actually, that sort of brings this derail FULL CIRCLE. If you had an improbable superpower, would it be YOUR DUTY to use it to help people? With great power, and all that.

Wow. I can't believe we came this far.

If you have a secret identity I guess you can get away with not giving a crap, but superpower use is largely up to the super-powered. If we're talking improbable, I'm reminded of this Shovellor quote from Mystery Men, god bless that movie: "Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2010, 11:18:18 pm »

But that would mean....holy shit....

We derailed this thread so hard that we swung around the Earth and ended up on the rails!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:05 pm »

Hypothetical situation.

Let's say that we have a surgeon. The best surgeon in the world. Good enough that his being at work every day unquestionably saves lives every day that he's there.

Does this surgeon have the right to the right to take a vacation?
The right to retire?

But what if by *not* doing those things, he'll push himself to exhaustion or a heart attack?

Do we have an obligation to seslf-sacrifice, even if it's obviously for the greater good? At what point, during a good life, has one earned rest, not having to worry about the world anymore?

To be honest, my philosophy is merely that I am the most important person in the world to me, and I expect the same of everyone else.

I don't think that earning it is relevant, if you want to live in a certain world then you should support it. If the surgeon likes the idea of a world with time off then they should take some time off, but they should also accept that the world's greatest police might be off-duty when all of the surgeons children have been kidnapped and shouldn't begrudge them for it. Just as they should accept that the GDP will fall as the rest of the population is taking time-off. If, on the other hand, the surgeon feels that the best possible resources should always be available, for the right customer, then they should accept the implications of that too. Of course, life will never be fair, desire will always outweigh resources, so your goals are going to have to make sacrifices...

I would be immortal, just sit back and watch the world burn...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2010, 11:53:39 pm »

I would be immortal, just sit back and watch the world burn...

And then sit there for millions of years because absolutely nothing has happened after everybody killed everybody else.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2010, 12:54:29 am »

So: If you had to pick a theme/motif for all your powers to be focused around, what would it be? Assume that if you can't justify a power via maotif association (ie. sand manipulation could give you shape-shifting and invulnerability but not super speed) I'd choose electricity, though I'd want it to be blue-tinted rather than yellow. Bundled up with the whole lightning bolt shooting stuff I could get flight out of that as well, or maybe boosted-jumps. And contact damage.

Smoke. Intangibility, flight, obfuscation, suffocation, and a thematic excuse to smoke cigars and look totally badass at all times.

As for a singular superpower, Healing Factor. I could skydive without a parachute and wrestle sharks and all sorts of cool shit. It's not like I'd be out there fighting Nuclear Man or anything. I just want to know what it feels like to streak a sports event on fire.

So, like this guy? (one piece)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2010, 01:06:28 am »

FUCK YEAH.

Smoker is a total badass.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2010, 12:28:12 pm »

This thread

It went to a strange place.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2010, 12:45:48 pm »

Quote from: Aqizzar link=topic=58794.msg1312064#msg1312064   date=1275954591

I genuinely feel bad about this, because I know   beating up on people makes Toady angry.  But some of these are just too   gob-smackingly outlandish to let go.  I'm only human.

I genuinely feel bad about this, because I know beating up on people makes Toady angry.  But some of these are just too gob-smackingly outlandish to let go.  I'm only human.

I justify it to myself with the concept that Armok's a masochist and gets off to it.

He does bring the worse out in all of us, though.

Superpower: Omniscience. For every reason imaginable really.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2010, 02:17:07 pm »

Still going with gravity. Because fuck Cthulu's battleship stone (which sounds sweet) if the gravity pulls it down.
Battleship stone.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »

It's not trolling, trolling isn't funny, and much less subtle.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2010, 02:48:28 pm »

You still didn't answer any of the questions, so if you aren't trolling, and you don't have an answer to back anything up, you're just a silly goose.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Pathos

« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2010, 02:52:58 pm »

It's not trolling, trolling isn't funny, and much less subtle.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2010, 03:18:14 pm »

I wish I had the superpower to take a really long time answering a simple question, then turning the answer into an extended anecdote/story but everyone would listen and forget what they were doing.
My powers would be provided by a magical fez, smoking jacket and briar pipe.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18