Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Crazy new(?) community game idea: Fortress Scramble  (Read 8016 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy new(?) community game idea: Fortress Scramble
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 03:11:39 am »

suggestion: the choosing starts before embark, even. we each gen a world, choose an embark, and post it. best is chosen continue as normal.

CaptainYankee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 03:14:51 am »

suggestion: the choosing starts before embark, even. we each gen a world, choose an embark, and post it. best is chosen continue as normal.

I agree, I hate choosing an embark area, but if we each gen a world, we have a way better chance of finding the 'perfect' spot.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 03:16:14 am »

Sounds good to me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 03:49:31 am »

In that vein, I present this location:

scratch that, the top stone layer is an aquifier. bad.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 03:54:17 am by Japa »

CaptainYankee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06:52 am »

Which version are we using? I'm currently using .03 but i have no problems with any others.
Is there a vizualizer besides stonesense i can use with this version?
Finally, I found a great embark, 4x4 with surface magma, and a huge spire surrounded by a heavily forrested area with sand and a brook.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 04:12:51 am »

I was hoping to use .05 just for its latest fixes...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

CaptainYankee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 04:13:51 am »

that's fine by me, as long as we can port this embark into .05

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 01:36:15 pm »

Sorry for my absence -- internet issues.

So my original plan was for everyone to pick an embark point, save, and then present that, we'd vote and then everyone would start from scratch. I wasn't totally clear on that, and over on the game's dedicated forums: http://dfscramble.circularfile.net/forum/, a few folks have presented one year's worth of play from the get go, so there's a bit of confusion.

I really, really like the idea of the host generating a world and then everyone picking an embark from that, but I think we're just a hair too far along for that to be practical for this round.

Since we have people with different ideas of where we were going to start (or where we should start), let's do this: submit whatever starting point you want for the game... whether that's "Hey, guys, I just created this world... choose an embark point and get to work" or "Here's the spot I chose, plus a year's worth of fortress playing". Only caveat: don't play more than a year of the fort before you submit it for consideration.

I'd prefer to handle most of the discussion and voting somewhere other than Bay12, simply because it would be nice to be able to split up into a bunch of different threads as the game goes on, and that would be really annoying for other folks around here, I think.

We're going to go with 31.06, since it seems to have a bunch of fixes (including the map export fix), and I'll put up a discussion and voting thread on Friday, we'll have the weekend to hash it out and vote, and then on Monday Real Play will begin.

So head on over to the forums and toss your hat in the ring. I'm excited.

PS: It's never too late to get involved, even once the game has started, that's part of the beauty of it.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »

I wonder... is there any reason to "sign up" for this? I think it by definition allows anyone to play at any time.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

zergl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 07:49:04 pm »

I wonder... is there any reason to "sign up" for this? I think it by definition allows anyone to play at any time.

In theory, yes.

In practice, I guess you would want to limit the number of players so as to prevent having to pick from too many choices.
Also signing up is helpful so that you can call for an early vote if all signed up players have finished their turn ahead of schedule.

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:29 pm »

Yeah, i hope to hop on for this one. 
A quick question tho, do we post our save onto DFFD then make a thread and link to it on the dedicated forums?

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 04:41:11 pm »

No need to post your saves just yet unless you want to. Just present it in a way that you think the voters will like (DFMA, screenshots, whatever), and hold onto your save. Voting will be done this weekend, with a new save posted on Monday for interested participants to take a shot at the next round.

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010, 08:23:16 am »

We've got a decent number of options for this first round of DF Scramble, but we're still taking submissions until 10pm Eastern, so you've still got time if you want to get in on the action for this round.

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 09:59:50 pm »

Submissions have closed and discussion and voting has begun on Round Zero of the inaugural DF Scramble!

http://dfscramble.circularfile.net/forum/index.php/topic,8.0.html

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 11:04:22 pm »

The zeroth round of DF Scramble is complete, and the save has been uploaded to DFFD. The news from Hatchetwiped is as follows:

A thousand years ago, a small group of dwarves was looking for a new home, determined to make it in this dangerous world. They came upon what they believed to be a volcano. Exploratory digging after the initial fort was settled revealed an embarrassing fact: the top of the mountain held only a peak, and there wasn't a drop of surface magma to be found. The civilization that grew out of this faux pas came to be known as The Special Volcano.

This civilization became almost single-mindedly obsessed with volcanoes and magma, and whenever one was rumored to have been found, a group of explorers was dispatched to investigate.

After centuries of false alarms, with few successes to speak of, a group of dwarves who called themselves The Infallible Sword, set out to make their home deep in the heart of the latest volcano of which  the mountainhomes had heard rumor.

It was to their most pleasant surprise that, in the early spring of 1051, they came upon that very thing: a volcano. The dwarves immediately set to work, led by Oddom Craftsbasis, the seven dwarves worked tirelessly through their first year, making great progress.

The plump helmet farms were coming along quite nicely, a bit of crafting was starting to be done, and the dwarves found that one among them had stumbled upon a hidden talent for armoring. After spending months at the anvil, Rigoth Pagedearth produced the finest low boot any of them had ever laid eyes on. He called this masterpiece in lay pewter "Pearsieges", for a reason none of them could quite fathom.

While Rigoth toiled away, Oddom (a legendary miner in addition to a fine expedition leader) finished his finest work: the design and implementation of the fortress's magma plumbing.

Over the course of their first year, they earned themselves 14 immigrants and suffered no deaths. Things have been uneventful thus far, but none among them know what the next year will bring.

If you want to get in on the action, head on over to the official thread. Remember: you need not have ever participated in the scramble to submit a save for consideration this time around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4