Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Crazy new(?) community game idea: Fortress Scramble  (Read 8017 times)

mcdwill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy new(?) community game idea: Fortress Scramble
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 11:58:52 am »

This sounds like a lot of fun, but what if you need the graphics pack to be able to play... I do ok without them but I really enjoy the game a great deal more with mayday's graphics.  Would I be able to sub in those raws, and swap them back out for the defaults after my time is up?

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 12:44:18 pm »

I'm not super-familiar with the raw modifications that MayDay uses, but as long as they don't break the game when they're replaced with stock raws, I don't see why that would be a problem.

I also agree that posting the "winners" back to this thread would be a great way to track the narrative.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 12:57:01 pm »

Well, I'm going to throw out a really generic embark idea so that everyone has lots of options - temperate or cold heavily forested area on a major river, preferably w/o waterfall. We'd get wood, plant life, water, and possibly ice at winter. And of course all that fun underground stuff.

Also just thought up an amusing rule, what do you guys think: You can never re-name a dwarf. Once the first canon save is selected, you can only name un-named dwarves and have to use the canon's nicknames, and likewise to the next canon save. Think it'd add a layer of fun craziness.

mcdwill

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:29 pm »

I'll do a couple tests tonight to make sure, he's added a nifty little app to quickly update the raws so nothing is manual anymore.  If that tests out ok I'll definitely join this scramble.

After finally reading boatmurdered it's going to be interesting to see how other peoples play styles are incorporated.

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 01:23:04 pm »

Just did a diff of the stock 31.05 raws and the mayday 31.05 raws and all I saw were tile changes, no actual game mechanics changes, so using mayday should be fine -- just be sure to sub the raws back out to the defaults.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 02:51:01 pm »

I'm in, but I think we may have to stick to screenshots and map uploads, since the map export seems to be causing a crash still.  Should be fun though, I think I found an interesting site :D  (Read: "suicidal site")
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 06:10:19 pm »

Also just thought up an amusing rule, what do you guys think: You can never re-name a dwarf. Once the first canon save is selected, you can only name un-named dwarves and have to use the canon's nicknames, and likewise to the next canon save. Think it'd add a layer of fun craziness.

My delete key doesn't work on custom names ???, so I play this way anyway, but I think it'd make a fun rule as well.  Especially if we all know they can't be changed, so stupid names can be part of the decision process.

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 09:55:09 am »

Bring on UristMcMiner the legendary carpenter!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 01:17:22 pm »

Hehehe. My own naming system is pretty different from what I've read other players do. Don't expect no 'Urist McSomeone' if I win a scramble :P

Well, I'm going to throw out a really generic embark idea so that everyone has lots of options - temperate or cold heavily forested area on a major river, preferably w/o waterfall. We'd get wood, plant life, water, and possibly ice at winter. And of course all that fun underground stuff.

^^

Anyone opposed to a site like this?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »

Hehehe. My own naming system is pretty different from what I've read other players do. Don't expect no 'Urist McSomeone' if I win a scramble :P

^^

Anyone opposed to a site like this?

Not really. But if I ever get a run on this, I tell this to you, I like crafting "new features" when drunk. You have been warned.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 12:15:34 am »

I object to the no waterfall notion.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 02:06:33 am »

I object to the no waterfall notion.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 02:32:31 am »

Well, I suggested it because of the FPS damage waterfalls tend to do, but I'm good with whatever popular consensus is.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 02:49:21 am »

Give me a world, and I will build you a Life...

Just gimme It would you please...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

CaptainYankee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 03:09:49 am »

Hey guys if i'm not too late i'd like to come aboard, i've never done a community fort before but this sounds like a blast.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4