Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Crazy new(?) community game idea: Fortress Scramble  (Read 8013 times)

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crazy new(?) community game idea: Fortress Scramble
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:38:37 pm »

Sooo... playing my turn of a run-of-the-mill succession game, I started feeling bad because I was having all of the Fun. Chatting with my fellow players, we came up with what I think is a "new" twist: a hybrid between a succession game and a golf scramble.

For those who aren't golfers, the way a scramble works is like this: on any given hole, the golfers on a team all tee off. Then, they decide amongst themselves which ball was the best, and they all take their next shot from that same spot. Rinse and repeat until the ball is in the hole.

In DF-land, it would work something like this: Each player would...
  • Download the current version of the world
  • Play for one year of game time
  • Do a write-up for their year, upload maps, etc.
  • Vote on which other player's world they like best
Then the votes are tallied, the "winning" fortress is used as the "current version" and everyone starts over again at step one.

It's a format that doesn't depend on everyone doing their turn in a timely manner, is more playing than sitting around and watching someone else play, and could provide for some really interesting choices. It might also allow a player to play their turn more aggressively knowing that there will be more conservative options to fall back on if it all goes straight to HFS.

So... has this been done before? Was it awesome?

Regardless of the answer to those two questions, who's interested in getting one kicked off? I'll do all the hard work, you just have to play DF and do some nifty write-ups. (and isn't the fun part bragging about your fort anyway?)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy new(?) community game idea: Fortress Scramble
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:46:11 pm »

Sounds great, count me in.

A couple thoughts:

I think some time should be allowed in the thread to argue about saves and potentially change players' minds about which save to go with, not locking in votes all at the same time, let's have a discussion before the vote.

It would seem that, unless we were going by awesomeness of writeup, this would lead to people focussing more on what they've accomplished than stylish writeup.  There is nothing wrong with this, perhaps the game should embrace one style or the other though?

Either way sounds really good.  This and Sparkgear take the boring part out of succession games, but Sparkgear seems pretty dead right now.

Also, in the interest of democracy, let's vote on the best stupid dwarf-language translation name for the fortress instead of just taking the random one we're given.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:19:41 am »

This sounds like a good time. I'm in, and I'll see how long I can keep consistently finishing a year as well.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:17:55 am »

I like this idea, and I'd like in too.  What real life time length do we have for finishing each of our group years?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:05:47 am »

Actually really like this idea... never really participated in a succession fort before, but it's worth a shot.  Count me in.

I guess all we really need is a world and agreed upon starting point, that way we'd have a variety of entrances and starting builds to vote on.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:09:30 am »

I like this idea, and I'd like in too.  What real life time length do we have for finishing each of our group years?

That's pretty flexible, I think. My original thought was a week or two to play the year and do the write up, then a week for discussion and voting. I'm open to other suggestions, too. A week and a half for playing and then a few days for discussion and voting would probably work as well. A lot of it depends on the number of players -- if there are a ton of people, you can afford to go with a shorter turn-around time. To start, while we're still working out the kinks in the format it might make sense to have a little extra time built in.

If anyone has thoughts about something being a really good or really bad idea, I'm all ears.

I imagine that this game would work suitably well  like succession games start where the host generates a world and pitches it, but for this game (at least) I'd like to try a scrambled start, too: interested players generate a world with a few stipulations and then we vote on those.

If you want to get a head start, my thought was to do stock 31.05 (unless there are major objections) and a 4x4 map. I imagine that the voting for the initial round will be based not only on how awesome the map is, but surrounding civs and savagery, the starting load out, and even the name of the civ/fort/etc.

Of course, if nobody wants to gen a world, I can just do one and we can start with that.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:22:03 am »

I'm in too!!!
Let us know when I can start...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:42:47 am »

@TooMuchPete - Sounds like a good plan!  When do we start?  Oh, and should we stick to worlds of a particular size?  The island/normal map thing I don't think would really matter, but participants with slower computers might be less than thrilled with the idea of using some gigantic world map, can take a little while long to load :P

This has much "Fun" potential >:D
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:50:12 am »

I'm interesting, though next couple of days are no-no for any succession or community forts.

Also, I suggest the normal world size, 3*3 map. Not big elevation differences above the ground is also plus. Could ease the pain of those with slower computers (me for example).
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:53:57 am »

I like the idea, I'm in.

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 10:03:49 am »

Awesome -- looks like we have enough interested to get started.

Because I imagine this kind of game will lead to a flurry of board posting and discussion, one thread per game would probably be a real pain. More threads per game would clutter up the Bay12 forums, so I've tossed up a forum for our use, including instructions on how to get involved in Round 0: the scrambled start.

Check that out here:

http://dfscramble.circularfile.net/forum/

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 10:08:09 am »

Still, some general discussion can be done here as well, to keep thread alive for future participants, right?

Otherwise, good idea with the new forum.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

TooMuchPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 10:15:05 am »

Definitely, I think it would be great to have discussion here and maybe some updates posted for the benefit of b12 folks who don't want to visit another forum.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 11:37:09 am »

Ah, great idea. I picked the wrong time to start up a community fort :( Still, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Again, great idea.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 11:46:29 am »

What if we copied all the winning file links and associated posts into this thread.  The forums could hold a lot of the voting and discussion, the "winners" and people's commentary about those particular entries could be moved back over to here to keep the thread alive (and maybe provide a more coherent narrative of what actually happened in the chosen set of timelines.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4