Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generic Uniform Items  (Read 595 times)

Calcipher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Generic Uniform Items
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:01:52 pm »

I'm sorry to ask something that is a) probably obvious (to someone) and b) probably answered somewhere else (couldn't find it), but how in heck do you add a generic uniform item to a uniform?  The two built in uniforms have things like "metal armor" or "leather shields/bucklers", but I seem to be only able to give specific things (e.g. Metal Buckler Leather Breastplate).  Is there a way to put the generic category type items into your own uniform?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Uniform Items
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:56:32 pm »

I don't think you can, at least I've never figured out how.

That said, you don't want to anyway. In my experience, assigning them generic items only causes problems such as them randomly dropping items to pick up new ones in the middle of battle, or even worse getting stuck in a loop picking up a glove or sock or whatever, putting it on, taking it off and dropping it, then picking it up again... and so on, forever.

It's a little tedious, maybe, but assigning specific items to dwarves seems best, or at the very least assigning them steel items specifically (since only dwarves can make those, they won't have random items laying around all over to screw around with).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:28:51 am »

Dont tell them what material to pick up. Its probably more annoying. But I hear you shouldnt use uniforms that much, and should just assign, things you have to dwarfs in the equipment menu. But lets see, you just go n, for uniform, then c add uniform then just add stuff, you know A armor, L legs, H helm, G gloves, B boots, S shield, W weapon (dont use their choice, they pick up stuff that can mess up the game sometimes). Then when you pick out the stuff, go M for material, and just pick any material, or something like metal, and you got a basic uniform. I dont think you can change materials, on the 3 standard uniforms. I havent been able to at least.  Hope this helps? If you want to know about what armor to pick (its a little complex) just check the wiki, it helps a ton.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56:00 am »

How do I access the equipment menu?

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:00:34 am »

M, then E

Oh, it helps to think of it like this: that you're going to the Military screen first, the Equip screen next, then you pick the squad, then you pick the dwarf, then you equip them.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:33 am »

Thanks, getting into that now :)

Calcipher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:39:41 am »

I guess I can see how generic equipment could be a problem, especially if something better dropped off of an enemy.  Oh well, I'll just specify manually.
On a funny side note, I assigned full metal armor to one dwarf despite not having any metal armor around yet (still looking for some ore...) and so he did the most logical thing he could think of - he stripped off all of his clothing and went to wrestle with the other dwarves.