Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege and Conquest  (Read 402 times)

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jpolito.zlique.org/
Siege and Conquest
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:33:00 pm »

I was recently thinking about this rather old game that I played on this 1990s macintosh where you have to take over various territories on a map of a continent called 'Castles: siege and conquest'. Then I got the idea of taking the world map that you generate for Dwarf Fortress, dividing it into territorial lines, and then going on a sort of world domination conquest thing to take over everything.

Think of it as Civilization 4, only on Dwarf Fortress, the only difference being that when you go to war with a territory you see the battlefield as it would look in fortress mode or adventure mode. So most of the time you would see the map, the territorial lines, and whoever owns what territories that you know of.

From the map view, you train certain war dwarves, such as speardwarves or hammerdwarves. You could also scout surrounding territories, spy, sabotage, and offer territories and gifts to other civilizations. You could also select which territories to attack. You could probably even build small fortresses and outposts in territories for additional defense in case of an invasion.

As for how attacks go, it would be like invading a town or a fortress of sorts.

Perhaps to add a little scenery to the world map, as the seasons change the forests change color and the water in certain areas could freeze, grass could cover with snow, etc.

Perhaps I'm just tired of not being able to go on a goblin death crusade and destroy their civilization for attacking me so much. I don't really know. Besides all of this, theres a lot of things to add into the game before this would ever be added or even considered for that matter. I still think it would be a pretty fun mode. Comments? Suggestions?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege and Conquest
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

Well, armies are going in, and I think you're going to be able to send troops out to attack the goblins - although I doubt there'll be as much detail as you're talking about. Also, I don't think establishing outposts or claiming territory is going in, or at least not immediately.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

Well, eventually it's going in.  There will be civilizations, and there will be international politics, and wars and territory.

And by eventually, I mean, Toady is working on all the Z-axis changes right now so that he can fully integrate Adventure and Fortress mode so that he can get the armies working.  So it's on the immediate agenda.

What ISN'T going in immediately is the UI suggestions you have.  DF's UI, unfortunately, isn't going to be the greatest for a while.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »

It's unclear if armies will ever be able to bring a catapult or ballista with them. I think that would be necessary when attacking human towns or other places.

By the way, thanks so much for reminding me about that game. I played it when I was in gradeschool, and although I could never beat it (or survive very long) I enjoyed it a lot. It will be really interesting to play it again now that I'm 22 and not 10.

[ May 13, 2007: Message edited by: DDouble ]