Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave in Trap  (Read 2170 times)

zonneschimmel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cave in Trap
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:36:24 pm »

Hi everyone,

I have been playing dwarf fortress (31.03 -04-05) for a few weeks now and in my latest 150 dwarf fort I had a visit from some titans. the first two were easily disposed off by my axedwarves but the third one is an unkillable salt blob. Cage traps and atomsmashing do not work. So I started building an elaborate cave-in trap to hopefully dispose of it this way.

I built a room with a support in the middle and littered it with pressure plates set to go off with minimum weight and linked them to the support then mined out the floor above and channeled the sides. Now it seems the cave in does not happen when the titan walks over the pressure plates.

It looks something like this:

ground floor

==p==
=pp==
=pS==
=pp==
==p==

1st floor
_____
_===_
_===_
_===_
_____

What am I doing wrong or is there an easier way to get rid of this thing?

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave in Trap
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:10:05 pm »

Did the support trigger & deconstruct or not?
If not, the titan has trap avoid and doesn't trigger pressure plates.
If so, your planned collapse is still connected to something else that supports it.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:11:58 pm »

Forgotten beasts are trap-immune.  I think titans are too, not sure.  I just killed off an unkillable vomit blob forgotten beast in my fortress with a cave-in trap.  I have to bait it with several puppies on chains, and has to manually trigger the trap with a dwarf pulling a lever when the beast showed up to kill the puppies.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zonneschimmel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:42:02 pm »

Nothing changed with the trap so I guess he has trap avoidance, didn't know it also worked for pressure plates. I'll try to manually set it off with a lever.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:32:35 pm »

With BUILDINGDESTROYER:2 shouldn't he target and destroy the support on his own? I remember people trying to use support cave in traps against trolls and other megabeasts in 40d.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:12:58 am »

With BUILDINGDESTROYER:2 shouldn't he target and destroy the support on his own? I remember people trying to use support cave in traps against trolls and other megabeasts in 40d.
In my experience forgotten beasts ignore supports, and only seem to destroy buildings that are in their way (such as doors) as they try to kill living targets first.  I originally had my trap set up hoping that the beast would destroy the support and set it off automatically.  It ignored it and walked right by.  Good thing I had a lever rigged up to drop it manually.

I have been considering a design in which a door is holding back water over a pressure plate, where the buildingdestroyer forgotten beast has to destroy the door to get into the fortress.  Destroying the door would let the water out, triggering the pressure plate that drops the cave-in trap.  Needs some testing to see if it can be made to work reliably.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

zonneschimmel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 11:56:12 am »

I just succeeded in killing it with the lever activated trap. Now I am going to secure all the merchant stuff that is lying outside and maybe channel / wall the whole map :-) and make some more titan fat/lye/soap.

Thanks for the advise