Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drowning Chamber  (Read 3390 times)

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drowning Chamber
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:09:53 am »

So, I designed this drowning chamber and I wanted to know if anyone could find anything wrong with it before I go ahead and implement it into my game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: Drowning Chamber
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:34:25 am »

it should work, however if you intend on recycling goblinite I'd advise making it a magma drowning chamber.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:06:22 pm »

I can't make head or tail of that diagram.  If green is doors, though, it looks overly complicated.  All you really need is lever-activated hatches in the ceiling, linked to a water reservoir.  The main thing to be certain of is that you have either steady water pressure feeding into your pumps, or a large enough reservoir to drown the room instantly.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:05:56 pm »

Overcomplicated.

Why are you trying to make it automated?
Manual levers do just fine, you won't miss all the dramatics.
Finis sanctificat media.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 03:10:04 pm »

I don't find it overcomplicated. It just has enough stuff to allow it to be flooded and drained after...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »

I'd prefer more simplier design:
1z ------------------- 1 pump out (hole grated)
2z -way in - floodgates - DEPOT - 1 pump in (wall grated)

Sideways walls around depot may have "bridge-doors" to quicker access to loot.
Finis sanctificat media.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 03:33:19 pm »

this reminds me of a drowning chamber I made in another fort. I stuffed a bunch of goblins in there (in cages) and filled it 7/7. I noticed they were still in the cages after a while and decided to leave them in their for an entire season.  Afterward I drained the room and there were all still alive, what gives?

I wasn't aware goblins had lungs, nor that wooden cages were completely air tight

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 03:37:05 pm »

I wasn't aware goblins had lungs, nor that wooden cages were completely air tight

Every air-breathing thing has lungs. I think you are referring to "gills".

Also, constructed wooden walls can't catch fire or burn in magma. Go figure.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »

Every air-breathing thing has lungs. I think you are referring to "gills".

Also, constructed wooden walls can't catch fire or burn in magma. Go figure.

Constructed walls, floors and stairs are everything proof (but cave-in)
Creatures in cages are protected from everything until the cage itself gets destroyed. You can give goblins a nice magma bath in iron cages, and they won't feel anything.

Also, tadpoles.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 03:43:09 pm »

Creatures in cages are protected from everything until the cage itself gets destroyed. You can give goblins a nice magma bath in iron cages, and they won't feel anything.
Mmm... you think so?
Then why do caravans bring dead animals in cages when you settle in a freezing areas?
And bones in bauxite coffins are disappear.

Also don't forget that rodent vermins can sure escape from wooden cages.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:46:20 pm by Grax »
Finis sanctificat media.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »

I didn't make it automated...
Also, I made it look that way to look nice. I know that not all of it is needed...
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 06:41:22 pm »

Easiest way to make a drowning chamber is just a single dwarf powered pump. You can put it on the same Z level as the chamber itself, just protect it with a fortification. Then on the level above that put another pump so you can drain it out. Have it pump through a grate so nothing can escape or swim up out of the water.

Unless the drowning chamber is very huge you can just use a regular dwarf to pump the water/magma. A single dwarf can fill up a good size room within seconds if his pump has enough flow going to it.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 07:04:36 pm »

I generaly go for the simplest automatic desing I have come up with so far. Its exact desing depends on the enviroment and my whim, but it generaly has these:
 -A main chamber. Usualy a 3-tile-wide corridor with a 5x5 room for a depot.
 -One or more ramped entrances with bridges above the ramps.
 -One or more pumps pointing at the chamber, optionaly through a fortification. Its source channel is closed with a hatch.
 -A water (or magma) cistern below.
 -One or more drainage channel for the water to flow out the main chamber, into a lower chamber filled with 1-tile-wide raising bridges.

Merchants or other unlucky fools enter the main chamber, Urist Pulls the Lever, ALL bridges close, the pump hatch opens, and water is pumped into the chamber. Some drowning later Urist Pulls the Lever again, openening all bridges and closing the hatch. With the bridges now 'down' in the lower chamber the water flows in there. Next time the bridges in the lower chamber just crush the water.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 07:21:15 pm »

Put grates in. My design is a four floor design, not counting drainage. First floor is the depot, then the next floor has grates in its floor. Above that is the hatch floor and above that is another open chamber for extra filling. The bonus of grates is that it prevents the victims from swimming out of the main drowning chamber, so you don't have to worry about accessing your reservoir.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 07:38:50 pm »

Mmm... you think so?
Then why do caravans bring dead animals in cages when you settle in a freezing areas?
And bones in bauxite coffins are disappear.

Also don't forget that rodent vermins can sure escape from wooden cages.

I know carp in cages don't suffocate. This calls for SCIENCE  :D

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: [1] 2